Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 311324 times)

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #330 on: September 17, 2008, 05:39:29 PM »
WHAT!!!!  Freaking cool!  Love Burton.  This one'll be a ride for sure.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

MrPaperCamel

• Level 12
  • Camel Superiority
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: September 17, 2008, 11:46:19 PM »
I did not know that. Should be interesting since his brain is crazy on a normal day.
If it's not on fire, it's usually a software problem.

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #332 on: September 18, 2008, 01:20:38 AM »
I enjoyed Off Armageddon Reef, but of course I like Weber a lot.  I can actually understand what is happening in a space battle when he describes it.  The sequel is out in hard back and I had a very hard time not buying it. Keep trying One Hundred Years of Solitude.  I read it for a class and irritated the teacher to no end by finishing it in a weekend and talking about what happens later.  I've got the latest Artemis Fowl but I'm not very excited about reading it.

Hanami

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: September 18, 2008, 07:27:30 PM »
I'm re-reading "Magic's Pawn", the first part of the trilogy "The last Herald-Mage", by Mercedes Lackey, and one ob my favorite books right now... the whole trilogy, I mean, but I believe the first and third books are the best. I strongly recommend you give a try at some of Lackey's books, I think they're worth it. Well, at least for me!

WriterDan

• Level 11
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #334 on: September 22, 2008, 05:07:33 PM »
So, I lied.

I finished Before They are Hanged and liked it so much that I went out and bought the third in the trilogy (The Last Argument of Kings) and started reading it this morning.  Will get to Nightwatch and all the rest afterward.  At least, that's the plan for right now...  :)

The new WotF anthology (24) still isn't out.  Think it's going to be released sometime next week.  We'll see.  I'm sure that will come into the schedule when it's finally out.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: September 22, 2008, 05:17:13 PM »
My sister bought Chalice by Robin McKinley, and she lent it to me. Hurray! I'm very excited to read it.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: September 22, 2008, 08:10:32 PM »
Brisngr is amazingtastic so far!
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

WriterDan

• Level 11
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #337 on: September 26, 2008, 08:03:02 PM »
So, ironically enough, less than ten days after I bought Last Argument of Kings (Joe Abercrombie) I was notified by email that I had won a copy of the entire trilogy through FantasyBookCritic.

Dang.

On the up side, I'm a little more than a third of the way through the book now, and loving every minute of it.  So, at least I didn't pay for a crappy book.  :)

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: September 27, 2008, 05:27:14 AM »

My room mate finished it the day after it was released and he said he loved it.  I have never been able to get past the first book though, so, I'll just have to leave that one be for now.

There is one book that was recommended to me just yesterday that I am having trouble putting down: The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak.  I'm sure this book is mentioned somewhere in this thread, but I really don't have time to read it anymore.  So far, it has been great (50 pages in).  I'll try to keep you all up to date!

But just a quick generalized shameless plug: The story is narrated by Death and through the novel, he reveals the story about 'the book thief.'  Really cool things are going on here in regards to PoV so far. 
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: September 28, 2008, 11:19:19 PM »

Against my better judgment I picked it up, and I have to agree with you. Got it around noon and six hours later I am halfway through...whats that, 3-4o0 pages? His descriptions are amazing, especially in the opening pages of the book. They really stuck with me.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

dawncawley

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: September 29, 2008, 12:05:59 AM »
I'm glad to hear that he has improved as a writer so much. I am looking forward to starting that series soon, and watching the evolution of another writer :)

Currently, I am finally able to get back to reading, due to some unexpected time off work, so I am hurrying to finish the Wolf series so I can re-read the first two Mistborn books in preparation for the third book :)

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #341 on: September 29, 2008, 09:38:37 AM »
Just finished up The Lies of Locke Lamora. It was a decent read, I liked how the author, Scott Lynch, described the city. It was almost Victor Hugo'esque (although not nearly as detailed).

And speaking of Hugo, I recently re-read Les Miserables, as it is one of my all time favorite novels.

Re-read The Thief of Always by Clive Barker as well, easily one of my favorite books by him.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: September 29, 2008, 03:06:02 PM »

Against my better judgment I picked it up, and I have to agree with you. Got it around noon and six hours later I am halfway through...whats that, 3-4o0 pages? His descriptions are amazing, especially in the opening pages of the book. They really stuck with me.
The biggest problem in my opinion was the lack of grammar being consistent I mean, he did alright, but there were MANY places that could have been improved.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

WriterDan

• Level 11
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #343 on: September 29, 2008, 07:40:07 PM »
Just finished up The Lies of Locke Lamora.

The second in this series (Red Seas Beneath Red Skies) wasn't quite as satisfying as the first, but still a good read.  If you liked them, you'd probably dig The First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie.  Same kind of feel.  Anyhow, CthulhuKefka, a suggestion for you.  I need to read some more Barker too.  Read his most recent (Mister B Gone) but wasn't too caught up in it.  I know that he has better stuff out there.  Just need to find some of it. 

MrPaperCamel

• Level 12
  • Camel Superiority
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: September 29, 2008, 08:24:17 PM »
Finished Alice in Wonderland/Through the Looking Glass. Story was much more interesting with all the footnotes and biographical and historical information.

Just started Elantris, and not entirely sure what I think yet. Very intrigued where things are actually heading, but not entirely sure what kind of story I am getting into. Feel like I am at a disadvantage somehow.
If it's not on fire, it's usually a software problem.