Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 311133 times)

readerMom

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #255 on: May 09, 2008, 02:15:00 AM »
Just finished Insurrection by David Weber.  Very intense.  I'll have to get the others from the library, but not until I can stay up all night to read them.  There was no place to stop.  Since half my family (and me) had the stomach flu I was up anyway, but it was quite a ride.

charity

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 09, 2008, 02:09:34 PM »
Okay... I'll admit it. I'm reading 'The Host' by Stephenie Meyer. So far it's a bit slow going, but that might just be because I'm not so into Sci-Fi. It's not bad though.

Azhev

• Level 5
  • Wanderer of my own little world
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 18, 2008, 05:49:55 PM »
James Dashner's 13th Reality.  I'm rally enjoying it.  It's got some good characters and an interesting plot.  I'm fascinated by the science of kwoopy.  Recommended for those who enjoy YA/Children's stories.
"The ending of a book is, in my experience, both the best and the worst part to read.  For the ending will often decide whethet you love or hate the book."

-Alcatraz Smedry, Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians, p262

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 18, 2008, 08:32:43 PM »
The Knight by Gene Wolfe. Wolfe always makes me feel like I'm not understanding about half of the story. Sigh.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Azhev

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 19, 2008, 03:33:49 AM »
I gave up reading The Knight for that very reason.  I just couldn't follow the narrator.
"The ending of a book is, in my experience, both the best and the worst part to read.  For the ending will often decide whethet you love or hate the book."

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #260 on: May 19, 2008, 06:13:48 PM »
Read Ignition (KJA/DougBeason) and Moonspeaker (KD Wentworth) and just started Gateway by Frederick Pohl.  Gateway is pretty good so far.  Especially in light of the fact that it was written before I was born.  Written in first person, which is a bit of a change-up for me, but I've settled into it pretty easily.  Happy to find another book that I can do that with.  Will probably read Before They Are Hanged by Joe Abercrombie next (Second book of The First Law).  Just bought that one last week and am really looking forward to it.  Loved the first one.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 20, 2008, 04:17:55 PM »
So, I gave up on The Knight. I guess Gene Wolfe just isn't for me. Now I'm reading Cast in Shadow by Michelle Sagara, and I really like it.

Azhev

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 22, 2008, 04:23:28 AM »
So, I gave up on The Knight. I guess Gene Wolfe just isn't for me.

Me either.  How far did you get? I got to chapter 3 before putting it down for something else.

Reading The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart.  I like!!

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 22, 2008, 05:50:03 AM »
Just finished listening to A Feast for Crows, after a Martin-fest broken up only by The Prestige. Those were some good months of commutes! With what I listen to books on tape for, the longer the better. (Queued up next is the Temeraire books.)

I hadn't read the Martin books at all before, and enjoy many aspects of them. Some of the people are incredibly crude though, and it's hard to completely like almost all of the characters (and there are plenty of characters to detest).
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 22, 2008, 04:03:00 PM »
I made it about 100 pages in.

Now I'm reading The Outback Stars which started out really good but is getting bogged down in stupid lust.

WriterDan

• Level 11
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #265 on: May 22, 2008, 06:23:44 PM »
So, I'm into Martian Race by Gregory Benford now.  Just started it, so I don't have much of an opinion yet.  I've also been meaning to get back into the Martin books.  Stopped reading Clash of Kings about halfway through when I just felt bored with the storyline.  Want to give it another chance though.  And still need to get to Before They are Hanged.  Still plodding through the WotF judges books though.  Just finished Pohl's Gateway, which I really liked quite a bit.  I've probably liked that one the best out of the handful that I've gotten through so far.  On to more.

flex

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 24, 2008, 02:00:39 AM »
Any starwars fans on here? Currently I am into the Legacy of the force: Invincible. I've read just about every starwars book known to man, and would love to chat with anyone of like minded taste. I am not overly excited about this latest series, but then again I knew it would be hard to top the New Jedi Order series. Anyway, this book should be a page turner as the final battle between light and dark may be playing out....Drop me a line ;D
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

WriterDan

• Level 11
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #267 on: May 28, 2008, 10:30:10 PM »
Picked up a recent copy of "Analog" and "Fantasy & Science Fiction" magazines.  Finished Analog.  It had Eric James Stone's most recent publication in it, which was pretty much the best on in the bunch in my opinion.  F&SF is pretty good so far.  I need to finish my WotF XVIII.  Just read Patrick Rothfuss's winning short story, which I really enjoyed.  Close to being done with that one.  Wish I had more time to read...

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 29, 2008, 03:58:08 PM »
I'm reading Passage by Lois McMaster Bujold.  I like this series, but I wish she didn't put in so much sexual content.

Shi

• Level 5
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart page
« Reply #269 on: May 30, 2008, 06:24:54 AM »
I started A Great and Terrible Beauty, my Libba Bray. It's been sitting on my book shelve for months, so I figured it was finally time too read it. Seems good so far, but I'm worried it'll fall into the typical school social monarchy.

Just read Patrick Rothfuss's winning short story, which I really enjoyed.

Isn't The Name of the Wind based off his short story? I just bought the book, so hopefully it's good, too.