Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 311301 times)

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #885 on: August 25, 2009, 11:14:55 PM »
I just finished ACROSS THE NIGHTINGALE FLOOR by Lian Hearn. It was not what I expected, which isn't to say it was bad. Really I'm still undecided about it.
     Basically its set in fuedal Japan, although the country itself is never mentioned. I found it to be mostly political intrigue and while I went into it expecting lots of cool combat scenes I was disappointed in that respect. There was very little combat throughout the book, despite the fact that the main character is an assassin.
     One thing I will say for it though, the not-Japanese culture is very immersive, even going so far as to mention that this character did or did not use the polite forms of speech.
     I found the climax to  be very disappointing as well. The author made promise after promise that the main character's quest was to assassinate the antagonist and save his father's life, only for the antagonist to be essentially stabbed in the back by another viewpoint character.
     Despite this the book's last two paragraphs were possibly the most beautiful I have ever read.
     Even though I found the majority of the book to be very slowly paced and in some places dull, I think I may actually pick up the next one. Don't ask me why.
     Anyone else heard of this book? Read it? What did you think?
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: August 28, 2009, 05:46:00 PM »
the new Robin Hobb is terrible...and i'm only half done...
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #887 on: August 28, 2009, 10:59:03 PM »
One of the bad sides of being an actual reviewer, eh Steve?

I love the fact that I can just willy-nilly drop a book whenver I please and not have to slog my way through the bad and the ugly.  What would little people like me do without those like you?

Carry on!
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: August 29, 2009, 12:10:19 AM »
Darn, I was hoping it would be the start of another good series like the Liveship books, which is my favorite Hobb.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: August 29, 2009, 01:36:48 AM »
Storm of Swords and i am happy to say Sansa and her mother aren't near so annoying in Clash of Kings... much better book than GoT
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: August 29, 2009, 06:14:52 AM »
Yeah...and it's a Liveship book. It is so utterly predictable and repetitive. pages and pages are dedicated to conversations that you can predict the outcomes in the first sentence. It is seriously cliche. Every character is an idiot. The chapter leads are asinine. I'm so disappointed in Hobb right now...

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: August 31, 2009, 05:26:37 PM »
I just finished the copy of UN LUN DUN that Sigyn let me borrow. Way odd, and way imaginative. The more I think on it, the more I like it. Not quite up to Gaiman quality, but still pretty cool.

Now reading some David Drake SF, the 2nd Age of Misrule, and slogging through the cursed Robin Hobb...

EDIT: Finished Robin Hobb's newest. It is beyond terrible. There is no climax. There is no action. There is no intrigue. There ARE, however, dozens of cliches.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 05:18:41 PM by Bookstore Guy »

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: September 06, 2009, 04:42:00 PM »
Feast for Crows and then a year of waiting for his next book....i think this hurry up and wait thing is becoming a habit
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: September 07, 2009, 05:52:28 AM »
For me too. I seem to have a knack for picking up series that are in the middle still.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #894 on: September 07, 2009, 06:17:29 AM »
Not to be off-topic, but the phrase "hurry up and wait" reminded me of something. My favorite band has a song with this title and it's pretty much my favorite song by them. But I've never heard the phrase other than in that song....And now I've heard it twice in the past week....

Reading: City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare....will soon switch over to the first book in The Great and the Terrible series by Chris Stewart, when I go back to school tomorrow....
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: September 07, 2009, 06:25:42 AM »
Just started reading A Fire Upon the Deep.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: September 07, 2009, 04:45:08 PM »
My family uses hurry up and wait quite frequently...ahh i'm becoming my father!!!!

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: September 07, 2009, 05:27:26 PM »
Well, I finished Patient Zero which was completely awesome. It should be titled Rainbow Six: Zombies.

I then decided to torture myself with the newest Terry Brooks. 1/3 through, and it is terrible. Thank goodness I didn't buy it...

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: September 07, 2009, 05:52:17 PM »
I'm reading The King's Peace by Jo Walton. I'm not finding it hugely engaging so far, but I loved Tooth and Claw by her, so I'm going to keep at it and see if it gets better.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: September 08, 2009, 03:36:10 PM »
A Princess of Landover was terrible. At least it was only 300 pages so the torture was over quickly. The worst part? Knowing that this is going to be what Brooks writes from now on. What happened to the author who wrote the delightfully dark and violent Elfstones of Shannara?

Now reading The Company by KJ Parker. I was told it was better then the Engineer Trilogy, which is why I'm giving it a chance.