Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 309938 times)

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #750 on: June 11, 2009, 03:33:23 PM »
Just started reading Desperation by Stephen King. I'm a huge fan of King. IMO you would have to dig really deep to find an author that actually makes you feel as though you are actually in the story as well as King does.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 03:36:17 PM by Comfortable Madness »
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

SomeHackWriter

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Join Hack on MySpace!
« Reply #751 on: June 11, 2009, 10:13:58 PM »
Desperation was good.  I enjoyed it.

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #752 on: June 12, 2009, 06:05:41 PM »
I just finished This Is Not a Game by Walter Jon Williams. He is an amazing writer. If you aren't reading his stuff, you should be.

So, I found it at the library today.  Up next.  Pretty excited.  Thanks for the suggestion.

Also finished The Orphan's Tales:  In the Night Garden.  All in all, not my kind of book.  I forced myself to read the whole thing though because I had bought it for my Kindle and didn't want to bail on something I had bought.  If I had picked up the actual book, I would have definitely put it down for good and not made it all the way through.  It was a book of fairy tales, and for people that like those kinds of books, I think I can definitely say that they would love this one.  Great writing, interesting ideas, fleshed out mythology, the works.  But it just didn't hit me.  There's a sequel to it.  The series is only two books.  But I doubt I'll be reading that one.   I'd suggest that lovers of fairy tales read these though.  It'd be right up their alley.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 07:45:28 PM by WriterDan »
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: June 13, 2009, 06:22:54 PM »
Just finished House of Chains and started Midnight Tides DHG and MoI are better... still a great read

Memories of Ice is as good as EoTW and Dragon Reborn (my favorite WoT books)
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #754 on: June 15, 2009, 10:54:41 PM »
I just finished This Is Not a Game by Walter Jon Williams. He is an amazing writer. If you aren't reading his stuff, you should be.

So, I found it at the library today.  Up next.  Pretty excited.  Thanks for the suggestion.

So, I got sick this weekend and finished it.  The book was really good.  Right up until the end.  And then the author pulled an unforgiveable, in my book, and I was completely frustrated that I had spent my time on it.  It was like, complete manipulation of the reader.  And I HATE being used.  Sorry, this was just not the right book for me.  In fact, it'll probably take me a long time to get over it all and allow me to pick up another book of his.  Now, that's probably just a shame, but at this point I can't say that I much care.  Ugh.

In other recent news, I'm taking the advice of Scott Card and reading outside of my genre.  :D  Picked up Every Dead Thing by John Connolly, and will probably also be reading My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult.  I read sample sections of these two books on my Kindle and loved the way that they started.  Here's to broadening my horizons.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: June 15, 2009, 11:18:04 PM »
Which unforgiveable did the author pull?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: June 16, 2009, 02:19:22 PM »
Did he pull the Stephen King Dark Tower style ending? Because I love that series but the ending was just unsatisfactory.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: June 16, 2009, 06:54:40 PM »
So, I got sick this weekend and finished it.  The book was really good.  Right up until the end.  And then the author pulled an unforgiveable, in my book, and I was completely frustrated that I had spent my time on it.  It was like, complete manipulation of the reader.  And I HATE being used.  Sorry, this was just not the right book for me.  In fact, it'll probably take me a long time to get over it all and allow me to pick up another book of his.  Now, that's probably just a shame, but at this point I can't say that I much care.  Ugh.

Wow, I feel really bad about recommending this now.  What did you dislike so much?
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Liathiana

• Level 3
  • For Pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: June 18, 2009, 07:40:54 PM »
I'm making my newbie rounds ;D

Currently I am working on a reread of the Wheel of Time and Twilight series (yes I know, I'm one of them! I have my guilty pleasures thank you very much!). At the moment I am reading Lord of Chaos and listening to Eclipse on cd for the long drives to and from work. I have also started Warbreaker, which I"m really excited about and loving so far. Already I want to make a costume! I"m also using it for one of my writing projects that was suggested somewhere around the web sometime ago, I really can't remember where...so that should be interesting!
"Behold! I have discovered the FORK OF TRUTH! Who would dare oppose me now?! Now that I am armed with my anger...and my fork!" Richard (LFG)

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: June 19, 2009, 05:33:01 PM »
Finished Midnight Tides going to go buy Bonehunters today...
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #760 on: June 20, 2009, 04:18:22 AM »
Finished Belgariad, nearly done with Sethanon which will finish up my reread of the WoT antecedents.  I was surprised just how much had been lifted.  It had been about 20 years since I read those serie and it was funny.  Of course like they say, "a bad writer copies, a good writer invents his own and a great writer steals and makes it his own with improvements."  Wot takes these elements and weaves them into something much greater and more beautiful than the sum of things stolen but it was a crack up seeing where things had been lifted from with eyes freshened by time.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 11:00:01 AM by Renoard »
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

FantasyAngel

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: June 20, 2009, 11:11:17 PM »
Bought The Name Of The Wind today so that should keep me busy for a day or so.
In a world gone mad escape into fantasy.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #762 on: June 20, 2009, 11:19:38 PM »
Just finished a re-read of the first five Amber books. I like them lots. Moving on to Merlin's part of the story today.
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #763 on: June 21, 2009, 06:41:10 PM »
In the middle of Warbreaker right now, and just got a collection of all of H.P. Lovecraft's stuff. Should be starting that VERY soon....I'm excited.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: June 22, 2009, 12:35:06 AM »
So . . . reread of The Ranger's Apprentice series, which I really love. (I got the fifth (newest) one the other day so I'm rereading the series). The first one's the best so far, I think.
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.