Departments > Books

What are you reading, part 3

<< < (369/369)

Sigyn:

--- Quote from: Nessa on August 13, 2011, 06:52:50 AM ---
--- Quote from: Sigyn on August 04, 2011, 08:22:29 PM ---I'm reading Across the Great Barrier by Patricia C. Wrede, and I like it so far, though it's hard because I haven't felt much like reading lately. This was the only thing I've picked up that held my attention for more than two minutes.

--- End quote ---

It's on my to-read list. I enjoyed the first one quite a bit. Let me know how you like it.

--- End quote ---

I really liked it. If you liked the first one, I would think you'd like this one too.

--- Quote from: Pink Bunkadoo on August 15, 2011, 03:27:16 AM ---As much as I love Lloyd Alexander (he kissed me on the cheek once) his non-Prydain stuff is pretty much all the same. 

--- End quote ---

While his work does have some similarities, it certainly isn't all the same. The Vesper Holly books and the Beggar Queen trilogy are certainly not interchangeable.

Pink Bunkadoo:
That's true.

fireflyz:
Been awhile in between posts.  My Kindle died and was resurrected this weekend.  It wouldn't turn on, blank screen, etc.  I charged it per Kindle's Customer Support but...nothing.  This morning it randomly turned on so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  I haven't even had it a year...granted I've read over 130 books on it, but still.

This past week I read a few non fiction works on the American West.  Unfortunately, there is less good scholarly works on this unique period of history than other times in history.  Tough reading.  I've read quite a few Louis Lamour books...reread as I've read them all.  Good historical fiction.  This novel in my head is going to be a long time in coalescing, but it's getting there.

I'm rereading the Dresden Files.  I've only read them once and they're quick, fun reads so I"m guessing that won't take too long.  Anyone have any reccomendations for some good epic fantasy?  Something along the lines of Sanderson, Jordan, Martin, and Erikson.  I could really go for something along those lines.

mtbikemom:
For fireflyz:

I haven't read them yet, but the reviewers seem to really like Adrian Tchaikovsky's series starting with EMPIRE IN BLACK AND GOLD.  It's on my to-read list after WoT is finished.  The first book may be a bit rough, I've read, but they apparently improve as they go and the latest was well-received.  I can't remember how many books there are so far or how many are expected, but I plan to read them all.

I really enjoyed Dan Wells' I Am Not a Serial Killer.  It was a perfect thriller/character study for a final summer read.  I can't recommend it enough for brilliant insight into the mind of a moral sociopath.  Dan's writing style is fresh and occasionally beautiful.  His apparent love of poetry shows and his humor is pitch perfect.  Completely reliable content, though a bit too gory for some.  Not for me.

I am also enjoying the delicious Patricia McKillip's Alphabet of Thorn.  Some of it is a bit acid-trippy, but the whole thing is intriguing and mostly reliable content-wise.  Thanks again, Mrs. Nessa, for the great steer in her direction!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version