Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 352785 times)

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #1590 on: December 19, 2010, 02:08:47 AM »
I'm reading Bloodshot by Cherie Priest, which I got as a Firstreads book on Goodreads.  It's okay, but nothing to write home about. 
If I had any clue, would I be here?

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #1591 on: December 21, 2010, 05:55:49 AM »
Recently:
Way of Kings (Sanderson)
Poison Throne (Kiernan)
Holes (Sachar)
Towers of Midnight (Jordan/Sanderson)
Writers of the Future 26
Hounds of Avalon (Chadbourn)
Stalking the Dragon (Resnick)
Best Christmas Pageant Ever (Robinson)

Now:
Up Jim River (Flynn) --  pretty standard sci-fi so far.  Not really my cup.

Next:
Hawkwood and the Kings (Kearney) --  Pretty excited for this one.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

junestormcrow

• Level 1
  • It's revolution baby!
    • View Profile
    • House of Harnoeth
« Reply #1592 on: December 22, 2010, 02:44:48 AM »
Most recent epicness: Towers of Midnight

Finished Sunday: The Narnian by Alan Jacobs-good stuff, but I am a total Lewis fangirl, so may not be your cuppa. Well written and lots of things I didn't know. He references a lot of Lewis' letters, which I found cool.

Next on list: Re-read of Out of the Silent Planet(almost done)

There's a bunch of others in progress, but I am working on reading through the stack, it's threatening to fall on my head while I sleep again.
“Everyone is dying. Of course, in Pishtar, this is the way of the world.” Salvatar, Ctharu general.

http://www.twitter.com/junestormcrow
http://houseofharnoeth.blogspot.com

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: December 24, 2010, 03:41:12 AM »
I just finished The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie. It had some plot holes at the end, which weren't my favorite, but overall the book was just lovely.

Now I'm reading Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow by Jessica Day George, and so far I'm loving it.

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #1594 on: December 25, 2010, 08:10:02 AM »
Just finished Philip Pullman's The Subtle Knife, and I'm not particularly thrilled with how it ended. Obvious cliffhangers and climactic battles facilitated by character stupidity do not a happy reader make.

junestormcrow

• Level 1
  • It's revolution baby!
    • View Profile
    • House of Harnoeth
« Reply #1595 on: December 28, 2010, 08:16:05 PM »
The Subtle Knife was the first of those books I threw at the wall. The Amber Spyglass was thrown as well. I am glad I got those three out of my house. Good, but infuriating for so many reasons.

Finished Out of the Silent Planet yesterday and enjoyed it more than the first time after the explination of certain aspects of the theme Jacobs gave in the Narnian.

Now reading The Problem of Pain, Invisible Monsters, and Leviathan by Scott Westerfield.
“Everyone is dying. Of course, in Pishtar, this is the way of the world.” Salvatar, Ctharu general.

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #1596 on: December 30, 2010, 02:15:42 AM »
I didn't have a s many problems with the ending of the Amber Spyglass as I did with the Subtle Knife. But speaking of books that I'd like to throw at a wall, Twilight is just as bad as advertised.

junestormcrow

• Level 1
  • It's revolution baby!
    • View Profile
    • House of Harnoeth
« Reply #1597 on: December 30, 2010, 02:38:14 AM »
Finished Invisible Monsters today. Such a great story about the power of appearances.

Twilight, while atrocious, is at least obviously going to be atrocious from page one. Pullman makes out like he's going to tell a good story and then craps all over it to further his "message". I think his offense is worse. Same problem I have with the Sword of Truth books.

Oditogre

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: January 03, 2011, 11:30:59 AM »
I'm currently reading:
"The Well of Ascension" (Brandon Sanderson)
"Men at Arms" (Terry Pratchett)*
"First Lord's Fury" (Jim Butcher)

Planning to read:
-Finish the "Mistborn" books
-Start "Dresden Files"
-Possibly pick up one of Pratchett's YA books
-Possibly try "Ender's Game"

*I've already read this a couple times.  I almost always am reading a few books at once, and at least one of them is almost always something light and fun that I've read before.  Recluce (Modesitt) and Discworld (Pratchett) books are the ones I come back to most often.

Pullman makes out like he's going to tell a good story and then craps all over it to further his "message". I think his offense is worse.

I couldn't have said it better myself. I bought the omnibus when trailers started being released for the movie, and I really liked the first book, but by the end of the series I was basically forcing myself to keep reading out of morbid curiosity for how Pullman would tie it all together in the end.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: January 03, 2011, 05:29:41 PM »
The problem with all of Card's novels is he never learned to write a convincing child. The children reason to well for their age, it doesn't match reality (and before any comes in and starts mentioning oh well Ender was a super-genius, your point? He could regurgitate information but not reason at that age his reasoning skills would still be minimal.)

Anyways I'm reading Poe's short stories and poetry right now and I must say Raven isn't near his best work.
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

junestormcrow

• Level 1
  • It's revolution baby!
    • View Profile
    • House of Harnoeth
« Reply #1600 on: January 03, 2011, 06:37:18 PM »
I've always been fond of "A Cask of Amontillado" myself, of course, we read Poe in school in Baltimore growing up, so I've always known there was more than "The Raven and "The Tell Tale Heart". I have to read even more though, his Collected Stories and Poems in on my desk shelf as a too be read.

@Oditogre I do this myself, right now the light hearted book is A Wizard of Oz, and I also pick up random YA to read from my old books all the time. The last was In the Time of the Witch by Mary Downing Hahn.

I always accepted Card's over logical children as being part of the world he was trying to create. The kids at Battle School and the debating siblings are all on genius level according to story, how else would they talk?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 08:13:27 PM by junestormcrow »

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: January 03, 2011, 08:12:00 PM »
I'm reading Love and Louis XIV by Antonia Fraser, and I'm finding it much more readable than I expected.  I'm always hesitant when it comes to non-fiction because some of it is so dry. 

I gave up on Pullman after the end of The Golden Compass.  With the way that one ended, I knew I wasn't going to enjoy reading more.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #1602 on: January 04, 2011, 03:39:57 AM »
Pullman keeps tripping over his lead encrusted, Neutronium propaganda. Wait he is a theist and thinks organized religion is a good thing right? He was just way too subtle for me.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

guessingo

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: January 04, 2011, 04:59:34 PM »
Finished Joe Abercrombie's series. He is fantastic writer. He did alot of things the opposite of current trends in fantasy. Instead of creating a vast world with lots of nations and histories, he simplified it to 3 nations and no map. However, this left him room to work on a deep plot and stunning characters. The battle scene in the 3rd book may be my favorite battle scene of all time. I also really liked the way he wrote the northmen. He did a great job with them in the 3rd book. It is the kind of depth I would expect to only see in a very good and very well researched historical fiction novel. Oh and of course, he has canibals and a torturer is a viewpoint character. I think I might end up liking Abercrombie more than George RR Martin in the dark genre. Its too early to tell.

I am on Ken Scholes second book. I am reading this due to the good reviews on the Elitist book review site. I like the post-apocalytpic fantasy. The first book starts with a robot getting repgrammed, to cast a spell, that nukes a city. He also has a neat twist on the catholic church. In his books, the church is a group of archeologists. I like that his books are short and he is very efficient in his writing. A couple of things bothered me. First off, I think he was too brief in a few places. I remember thinking, a few times, how did we get here so fast? Also, the book starts with a catastrophe, but I don't think Scholes does that good of a job describing the sense of grief and horror that people would have gone through. Some of the main characters spent months burying an entire city. I would think that would be horrifying. Scholes doesnt doesn't really describe that well.
All that being said, I like him and will stick with him. I started on the second book and I think his writing has improved immediately.
I also really like the concept that he is running with. I have wanted to read fantasy books that mix magic and technology. This is the
first that I have found. I believe Brandon Sanderson said he is going to do that on his next Mistborn book.

I also picked up a Daniel Abraham book. I had never heard of him. I don't know anyone who has. I am reading him due to reviews
on the Elitist book review site and I think Brandon said he liked him at one of his book signings.

Also, audioing the Mars Trilogy by Kim Stanley Robinson. I read the first two in the 1990s. They are as good as I remember. These
are books where you can tell, the author must have spent an incredible amount of time on. They are done very well. It is about the
colonizatin and terraforming of Mars.

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #1604 on: January 06, 2011, 10:33:49 PM »
I also picked up a Daniel Abraham book. I had never heard of him. I don't know anyone who has. I am reading him due to reviews on the Elitist book review site...

This warms the cockles of my heart.

Whatever those are.

It is interesting though that experts of language don't even seem to know that one:  http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-coc2.htm   8)
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.