Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 365385 times)

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #1095 on: January 17, 2010, 06:09:46 AM »
Im not sure yet Kaz. It was a much larger tome than any of the others, yet I read it in about half the time. I went through the entire book thinking that "something was missing or different" and I dont think that is brandons fault either. I think the last 5 chapters, especially, felt rushed. Maybe I should move this to a critique thread.....

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #1096 on: January 19, 2010, 09:15:03 PM »
So, Deadhouse Gates was really cool, and I'm pretty sure it was all the time spent with Felisin that turned me off the first two times through.  She was just super unsympathetic for me.  Glad that I made it through this time, and really excited to get onto Memories of Ice now.  I have to take a small break to read a couple of books that I bought with my Christmas money.

Starting up Darker Angels by MLN Hanover (Daniel Abraham) now.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: January 19, 2010, 10:36:19 PM »
Glad you liked Deadhouse Gates.  The ending to that novel was completely full of awesome.  Memories of Ice is, in my opinion, even better.  The last quarter of Memories made it so every book I read for 2 months after that horrible by comparison.  So awesome.

I read Breathless by Dean Koontz.  I vomited due to its awfulness.  It's right there with the newest Dan Brown and the Terrys.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: January 19, 2010, 11:33:21 PM »
BSG, do you know when the next Malazan book comes out here in the US?

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: January 19, 2010, 11:54:30 PM »
Yesterday!!!!!
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #1100 on: January 19, 2010, 11:56:13 PM »
I just checked out Amazon, mtlh.  Dust of Dreams is available as of right now from them.  they have listed today as the publication date, and have hardback and paperback showing as "in stock".  Go check em out.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: January 20, 2010, 12:11:31 AM »
Yeah, it came out.  Only one more to go in the main story-arc.  Erikson and Esslemont promised me that we would all get a MAJOR resolution.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: January 20, 2010, 12:27:54 AM »
I got my subscription to the Grantville Gazette and now I'm reading Grantville Gazette IV. Which I somehow apparently missed coming out in hardback...along with Grantville Gazette V... Oops.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: January 20, 2010, 12:32:48 AM »
Just finished Servant of a Dark God. It was really good, but slow at first. Once I got past the first 150 pages or so, it picked up substantially. I think I just couldn't bring myself to care about the characters for the first little while, but got into a bit more as I came to know them a bit.

Starting Lamentation by Ken Scholes, which I had a few friends recommend to me, and which I was able to get for $4 in hardcover. Figured I really couldn't go wrong there (unless it's absolutely dreadful, which, from what I'm hearing, it's not).

Though of course it may now be delayed as I have a Dust of Dreams reading marathon. I had completely forgotten that it was out, which makes me feel like a bad sci-fi/fantasy reader. So I'll remedy that by immediately picking it up.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: January 20, 2010, 12:58:57 AM »
I'll read it when i finish Left Hand of Darkness... but I'm taking my time
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: January 20, 2010, 03:17:19 PM »
well, thank you all very much! I am going to place my library order now and hope I get it soon (unlike Gathering Storm which made me wait for 40+ other people! lol)

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: January 20, 2010, 03:53:39 PM »
While I await the arrival of Memories of Ice I wandered off into the non-fiction section. I started to read a book on profiling serial killers. One of the scariest books I've ever picked up.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: January 20, 2010, 09:29:23 PM »
You know, I think I gave everyone advanced warning of Dust of Dreams release....

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #1108 on: January 21, 2010, 05:27:09 AM »
Well, the last thing I finished was HOA, but that goes in another forum.

I'm currently reading Fallen by Lauren Kate.  Penny Arcade said it might be the start of a new craze, kind of like Twilight(may they be known as the awful books they are), so I thought I'd preempt it by reading it and finding out if it's terrible or not.  So far, it's not doing so well.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #1109 on: January 23, 2010, 12:29:01 AM »
I'm about to start the first book in the Vampire Earth series. Looking forward to it, due to the EBR review for the 8th book.

Also, I would've started Malazan but when I went to B&N, the only copy they had of Gardens of the Moon was ripped a bit and I prefer to buy my books in perfect condition. And a discount for the rip still wouldn't have been worth it. It was very not cool, since I really wanted to read it...
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."