Author Topic: What are you reading, part 3  (Read 309888 times)

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
What are you reading, part 3
« on: July 30, 2006, 02:34:48 AM »
Well, "What are you reading part 2" is three pages back so I'm going to start a new  one.

I just finished "The Gate to Women's Country" by Sheri S. Tepper. This also fits into my "what classics should I be reading" question from ages ago, as post-apocolyptic feminist dystopias are not really my favorite thing in the world.  But I decided that since I'd never read any of her books I should try a few.  Got two more on my night stand and am going to give them a try.  "Gate" was pretty good, but obviously, depressing, and I'm just not into depressing right now.

I'd have enjoyed it more if I were reading it for a class, instead of for fun. It seems like the kind of book that's much better if you're reading it for analysis.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

medrx

• Level 2
    • View Profile
Re: What are you reading, part 3
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2006, 07:27:22 AM »
I'm re-reading Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series.  I know it's sort of an old one, but I'm catching up.  I'm sort of surprised nobody here has mentioned them, yet.  I know it takes him a while to fork out a book, but it's a fabulous series.
The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2006, 08:40:46 AM »
We tend not to mention them because some of us like them and some of us hate them and we've hashed the argument out so many times we have nothing new to say on the subject.  

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 12:40:59 PM »
Greenwitch, of the Dark is Rising sequence. Some of my favorite books as a kid.
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2006, 05:30:23 PM »
Just finished Vernor Vinge's Fire Upon the Deep.  I haven't read nearly as much sci-fi as I have fantasy.  I thought this book was a great read--very well done, and an excellent example of the strengths of the genre.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2006, 06:13:05 PM »
Let me sticky this for you guys.  There tend to be a lot of new threads created because the "what are you reading" threads get pushed back.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

chunktile

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2006, 08:15:39 PM »
Currently reading:
    The Dark Half -- Stephen King

It's not too bad. I tried reading it before, but my schoolwork took over.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 08:17:11 PM by chunktile »
If everyone is different, then no one is the same. With no definition of the normal, aren't we all insane?

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 12:27:16 PM »
I'm finally getting around to Angela's Ashes.
Magnificently written. but it's a hard read -- so many crappy things happen early on.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 03:39:10 PM »
Yeah, I only read half of Angela's Ashes because it was just too depressing.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2006, 04:04:32 PM »
I am reading Throne of Jade by Naomi Novik, the second book in the Temeraire series.  It's the Napoleonic Wars with dragons, much of it having a similar feel to Patrick O'Brien.  I would definitely recommend it.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2006, 04:40:50 PM »
Did you read the first? I'm thinking of buying the paperback.
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 12:08:39 PM »
Yes, I read the first (His Majesty's Dragon), and it is great.  I'm probably going to buy it as soon as I have some fun money to spare.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2006, 05:57:08 AM »
The other day I read Kiki Strike and the Shadow City, a YA book that was first published by an independent press then did so well it was picked up by Bloomsbury (I read about it in Publishers Weekly). In fact, I wrote about it in one of my blogs. I wonder if I could turn it into a book review for TWG with very little trouble...

While in Newport Beach, I read Heaven's Eyes by David Almond which, for all its hype, was not my favorite of his books. (If you're going to read a David Almond book--and you should, because his prose is beautiful and he does magical realism right--read Kit's Wilderness and Skellig.) On the airplane home from California I started and finished The Devil and Miss Prim by Paulo Coelho (author of The Alchemist fame). I enjoyed it for what it was--a very allegorical novel without deep characterization that explored interesting philosophical questions. And today I read the graphic novel Fables: Legends in Exile, which was a very interesting fairytale retelling in modern New York.

Yeah, I read a lot. When I can't sleep, I read (and write).
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

WriterDan

• Level 11
  • Babble from below, bubbles from above...
    • View Profile
    • Shelfari page
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2006, 07:37:49 PM »
There's this great, new website where you can track what you're reading, what you plan to read, write book reviews, etc called ChainReading.  Check it out: www.chainreading.com     It's fairly new, but still quite impressive.  Works great for this kind of thing.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

I review books at Elitist Book Reviews.  Check us out.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2006, 12:50:16 AM »
So.... that was kind of spam, but actually related spam and quite interesting.   Will I be shunned if I sign up?

"Singer from the Sea", by the way, is a way better book to read, and much happier than "Gate to Women's Country."  Ms. Tepper is inspiring me to great feministic heights as a writer. Also, the copy I have includes a sample of itself in the pack as part of the "also from this publisher!" section.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 12:50:32 AM by fuzzyoctopus »