Author Topic: Farscape official cancled!  (Read 3465 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Farscape official cancled!
« on: September 10, 2002, 06:10:08 AM »
Ya i didn't beleave it myself but according to the producer and Ben Browder (chrition) they're tearing up the sets this week.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=13209

you have to scroll through some stuff about who the SCIFI ceo's are before you get to the news.

After the last episodes air in January, the critically acclaimed Sci Fi series Farscape will be no more. Sci-Fi has decided to opt out of Season 5 and cancel the series. The executive producer David Kemper and series star Ben Browder (Commander John Crichton) entered the official Sci Fi chatroom and announced this earlier tonight. As Ben put it, "They're taking a chainsaw to Moya next week" meaning that the sets are scheduled to be destroyed within a matter of days. "

here's the scifi link:
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-main.html?2002-09/09/13.00.sfc
« Last Edit: September 10, 2002, 06:13:42 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: Farscape official cancled!
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2002, 10:48:04 AM »
I don't really know what TV executives are thinking. TNT decided to cancel Witchblade even though it has great ratings. Showtime decided to cancel Stargate:SG1 which was fortunately picked up by SciFi where it's ratings improved. Now SciFi is canceling Farscape which is one of its top performers. Of course, all of these shows are canceled so that they can make room for new shows. I guess, TV networks have a severe case of "bird in the bush" syndrome.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2002, 11:00:58 AM »
according to SCIFI they don't want to cancel Farscape but the companie that ownes it (Verdi int) dosen't like the cost of the show (it's rateings aren't high enough for the show).  Also they want to spend more on SG-1 so getting rid of farscape will allow for more money to be spent.  But fans have been harassing execs and SCIFI's phones crashed monday and all voice mail were full of complaints.  It appears that most people are telling SCIFI that if they cancel Farscape then they'll stop watching SCIFI.  Besides MST3k reruns there's nothing besides farscape worth watching.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2002, 02:21:19 PM »
With that last statement I heartily agree.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2002, 03:39:25 PM »
Well, that is very sad, but the sadder truth is that basic cable companies just don't have very much money. If the company actually producing Farscape pulls out, there's nothing SciFi can do about it.

Still, I hope I'll be able to catch Season 4 reruns somewhere. The last season cliffhanger I saw is still just killing me.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2002, 04:51:36 PM »
Interesting news from henson.com
http://www.henson.com/farscape.html

both a farscape movie and anime series are in development.

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2002, 09:25:36 PM »
A Farscape anime would be cool, but it would completely ruin what made the show so great in the first place: the visually stunning aliens, ships, battles, and worlds that seemed to be as real as the gal next door.  I would dearly love a movie, but I know that it will take forever to get it to the big screen (Chiana will be old enough for Geritol by then).  

The last I heard, UPN wanted to pick up Farscape, but it seems as if these plans have fallen through.  I was under the impression that Farscape was the #1 show on Sci Fi, but apparantly it means nothing.  

Frel!
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly