Author Topic: T... t two towers....  (Read 6583 times)

Lord_of_Me

Lord_of_Me

Re: T... t two towers....
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2002, 04:56:35 PM »
also on the two towers i have decided that peter jackson is dead, i'm going to kill him
>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
if half of these rumours are true... ...well...
http://www.tolkienonline.com/movies/changes_ttt.cfm

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2002, 05:19:40 PM »
Hey, cool link.

I'm not very concerned by most of these rumors. Aside from the addition of extra Arwen material, it all seems like a pretty good adaptation to me. And Arwen? Well, I've learned to accept her as a necessary evil.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2002, 05:30:03 PM »
Ok, I admit, the possibility of cutting the scouring of the Shire is pretty maddening. I think this is a little early to speculate too much, though. It would make kind of a weird end to the movie, though. I don't know.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

GuJiaXian

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Christopher Kugler's Home Page
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2002, 05:53:54 PM »
I agree.  It'll be a good movie.

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2002, 06:06:43 PM »
Okay, I read through most of the list, and you know what? I agree with Peter Jackson on his changes. Most of the changes found by the people on this website are rediculously inconsequential. As for Arwen and Eowyn, those are more major, but I like the new roles they've been given. They both had enormous effects on the events in the story but had very little parts. Why? Because Tolkien couldn't write women. It's a simple fact that he realized and intelligently compensated for. If you have to re-interpret a story to create a screenplay anyway, why not give important characters more screentime?

Don't get me wrong, though. I still hate having Liv Tyler in the role.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2002, 07:36:58 PM »
That's an excellent summation of my feelings. Thanks.

GuJiaXian

• Level 7
    • View Profile
    • Christopher Kugler's Home Page
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2002, 07:41:14 PM »
I agree: anyone expecting a scene-for-scene translation of the novels has already been disappointed by the first film.  They'd be boring, anyway.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2002, 08:24:40 PM »
hmmm. i agree with tage here.
thoughts :
1) "use of non tolkien weaponary" - this is common sense. if you are fighting cavalry, crossbows work better due to how they fly. arrows go up, so miss. crossbow bolts go along, so the cavalry ride into them. makes sense to me.
2) "elves at helms deep" - good change. it fits in with the theme, despite what the author guy says - it shows the elves, small in number though they are, using their supperior skills and abilities to affect the outcome of the battle, and therefore the war. the idea of the elves sitting in rivendell and twiddling their thumbs has always annoyed me. besides, it says it in a way that makes it seem like only 20 elves are going. 20 elves, against 10,000 orks, are not going to make a overwhelming difference.
3) "legolas using two knives". pfffff. get real.
4) "legolas using a shield as a surfing board" - please no. this violates the air of the books.
5) "no ent draught" - pffff. ill live.
6) "sauruman and death spikky thing" - this i dislike. hopefully that pic is a fake. or a cutting room reject.
7) "This line is an invention of the filmmakers and does not represent Tolkien’s work." - this person really needs to look at other film/book conversions. it is expected. LoTR is not some holy book, whose writ is unchangeable. watching a 7 hour perfect copy of fellowship is not my idea of a good time. as jackson has said : "this is my take on the books. that is what i am filming. i can only hope that others agree with me and like my film."
8)"The filmmakers may portray Gandalf’s resurrection in a way different from how Tolkien would have visualized it." - huh? this seems to be a far far better method - and to be honest, who cares what tolkien envisaged? as long as they stick reasonably close to the description in the books, it should be pretty much the same anyway.
9)"Éowyn and Aragorn Cross Swords" - dont like this. seems unneeded.

wowsa. sorry about the long post guys. just my multiple pennies.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Lord_of_Me

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2002, 11:48:53 AM »
i'm really really really annoyed about the scouring of the shire possibly being left out and i was looking forward to and hoping for some more GW hobbit models

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2002, 12:06:40 PM »
well they showed a new gimli model in one of those pics so...
do you really think that GW can resist the tempation to make another 4 models showing them as they appear in TTT?  
BTW, shouldnt this thread be moved to the movies section, seeing as how it is almost totally taken up with movie stuff.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Lord_of_Me

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2002, 12:08:41 PM »
no, i mean normal hobbits like fatty bolger no Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin

Lord_of_Me

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2002, 02:58:57 PM »
oh good its been moved - i started it to talk about the models but it's definetly a movie thread now

« Last Edit: August 29, 2002, 12:31:18 PM by Lord_of_Me »

Lord_of_Me

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2002, 12:04:15 PM »
has anyone else seen the trailer on aol, it looks really good. What do you all think(sorry if you don't have aol... ...wait a minute, i don't mean that i hate aol)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2002, 02:04:51 PM »
It goes up on the offical website tomorrow.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.