Author Topic: Comic Book Movies  (Read 3101 times)

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
Comic Book Movies
« on: November 07, 2002, 02:12:38 AM »
Movies based on comics seem to be the big thing in Hollyweird these days.  We have seen a whole slew recently, and there are many slated to come out in the next year or so.  Daredevil.  Hulk.  X-Men 2. Spiderman 2.  League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.  Blade 3.  What do all of you think about this trend?  Which of the upcoming films will be good, and which will probably be trash?  Which comic book movie has been the best so far?  What comic would YOU like to see turned into movies?  Personally, I am really looking forward to League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.  I also am eager to see NIGHTCRAWLER in the new X-Men film.  There are a lot of "wish list" movies I'd like to see made, but right now one of the tops would be Power Man starring Ving Rhames.  THAT would be cool.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Kid_Kilowatt

Re: Comic Book Movies
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2002, 01:41:42 PM »
Personally, I think that the Batman sequels almost killed superhero movies - they would have disappeared from theaters entirely for at least a decade if one thing hadn't happened: X-Men.  That movie cost very little, made HUGE money, and caused movie studios to drool uncontrollably at the prospect of new big profits in this genre.  Spiderman did nothing to change their minds, either.  It's only a matter of time, though, before the legions of bad superhero movies show up - I think the Blade movies have already edged across this line.  And League of Extraordinary Gentlemen may not be good, even though it's terrific concept is built in - I've heard bad bad bad things about the script.  I had little hope for Daredevil, but the trailer came out today, and I'm more hopeful now:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/daredevil

Several people, including director/former-Daredevil-writer Kevin Smith, are giving the movie big props for being the first superhero movie to present a great story as it originally appeared in the comics with little change (black Kingpin?)  This is a fairly convincing argument, but it doesn't mean the movie will be terrific.

I'm betting that X-Men 2 will be good but not great and Hulk will be interesting but not a superhero movie in the typical sense (I don't think Ang Lee knows comics well enough to conform to the genre when it is at odds with his own style.)  Fantastic Four and others loom on the horizon - who knows?

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2002, 01:53:46 PM »
Like the disaster movie rush of the 70's and 90's, superhero movies tend to go in trends.  In the early 80's, Superheroes were hugely popular again after a dry spell in the 70's.  The Superman movie, Superfriends, Spider Man and friends, The Greatest American Hero, etc. all threw fuel on the fire.  Then Hollywood moved onto other things.   Now, the superhero trend is returning and has delivered some real gems.  

I don't know how much I'm looking forward to the glut of upcoming movies though.  I wasn't digging Daredevil too much until I saw the teaser trailer this summer.  It really whet my appetite.  I agree with KK's take on the upcoming films, however I think the glut will kill Superhero films for another decade or so.

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2002, 03:12:17 PM »
I have to agree with KK about the last two Batman movies.  In the short span of 4 hours Joel Shumacher accomplished what the Joker had failed to do for over sixty years: he absolutely destroyed Batman.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2002, 04:24:50 PM »
Three words:  Nipples on Batsuit    :-[

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2002, 07:56:00 PM »
As a longtime fan of the Hulk, I have to point out that it isn't really a typical comicbook--making it into an atypical comicbook movie will probably work really well. I can see your point, though, and I suppose most of it depends on Ang Lee's personal interpretation of the Hulk.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2002, 03:15:03 AM »
I think that The Hulk is going to be more like a horror movie; a normal person trying in vain to control the dark things that happen when he gives in to his own aggressive impulses.  

The Superman/Batman film that they have been talking about for so long has been shelved for the time being, but there is now a very strong push for the Superman movie.  There IS a director, but as of yet no actor to don the blue tights.

Hellblazer has been bandied about a lot recently.  The creator wants Sting to play the lead.

Oh, and scuttlebutt has it that the Ghost Rider film with Nick Cage is still a possibility.