Author Topic: Interesting Movie Facts and Rumors  (Read 16129 times)

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Interesting Movie Facts and Rumors
« on: May 26, 2002, 02:42:28 AM »
I'm creating this thread in response to something that Fuzzyoctupus noticed. At least some of the lyrics for Fatboy Slim's "Weapon of Choice" come from the 1984 film version of Dune.

Quote: "Walk without rhythm and it won't attract the worm"

This is just after the second chorus of the song and is exactly what Paul tells Jessica when they are escaping from the crashed Ornithopter.

So this thread is for wierd things like that. Another example could be The Dark Side of the Moon and The Wizard of Oz connection. You get the idea.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
Re: Interesting Movie Facts and Rumors
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2002, 10:49:36 AM »
Lol.  I'd listened to that lyric a hundred times wondering where the heck it came from.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2002, 01:46:27 PM »
It's too bad Christopher Walken wasn't in Dune. That would be another cool connection.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2002, 11:07:15 PM »
Ha!  

By the way, 42, this was a cool idea for a thread.  

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2002, 07:16:01 AM »
for Wedge fans:

Although an uncommon man, Wedge has a common name. A number of characters in Star Wars stories have had the last name "Antilles," but very few of them are related. Interestingly enough, in the early draft scripts of Star Wars, Wedge was a young human pilot named "Chewie."

Actor Denis Lawson -- who is Ewan McGregor's real-life uncle -- played Wedge Antilles in the classic trilogy.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Lord_of_Me

:(Re: Interesting Movie Facts and Rumors
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2002, 12:38:25 PM »
it's cruel to confuse me :'(

Dougal

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I am a warrior of light magic!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2002, 04:41:35 PM »
i have never understanded that quote  ??? .... supose just because it does not make sense to me can someone please explain :)
Dougal

Lord_of_Me

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2002, 04:49:13 PM »
 ??? haven't ??? the ??? foggiest  ???
and it's understood

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2002, 06:43:21 PM »
uh... do u 2 mean the "walk witrhout a rhythm and it wont attract a worm" quote? if so, its from the film dune. it was all about big ummm worms that ate nething that had a regular rhythm. look just watch the damn film and find out ok? hey its got sting in it! thats gotta be a reason to watch it, right?
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2002, 02:36:13 AM »
Sting AND Patrick Stewart.  

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2002, 02:55:02 AM »
And that guy with the cigar from Quantum Leap.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Lord_of_Me

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2002, 07:21:01 AM »
well i'm definetley watching it now! ::)

Kid_Kilowatt

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2002, 02:35:27 PM »
Just thought I'd add some recent movie-related rumors and/or news.  

Item 1: News is starting to leak about the structure of LOTR: Two Towers.  For example, the Battle of Helm's Deep, arguably the dramatic focus of the story's middle section, will be a single 45-minute battle scene with no cut-aways.  This idea just floors me - the 30-minute beachhead scene from Private Ryan was one of the more intense cinematic experiences I've had, and this will likely match that (or surpass it).  There have been other interesting tidbits about that scene which I will leave out for those of you that hate SPOILERS.

Item 2: As some of you may know, Orson Scott Card held a convention of sorts this weekend called Endercon, celebrating the (20th?  25th?) anniversary of his novel, Ender's Game.  The big movie news revealed here was that Card is working on his third draft of the script which will be directed by Wolfgang Peterson for Warner Brothers.  Card has been working on this one for a long time - to give you an idea, his first idea for an actor to play Ender was a 11-year-old Brad Pitt.  The studio is apparently giving him a lot of crap because he wants the cast to represent the world's population, but the studio wants a predominantly white cast.  Grrr.

Item 3: Wolfgang Peterson is also planning on making a superhero movie for Warner Brothers: Batman vs. Superman!  I'm not sure about this one - it will depend largely on the casting of the leads.  The script looks promising, though, contrasting the light of Metropolis and its hero with the darkness of Gotham City and its antihero.  There are other movies in the works for both Superman and Batman, and Aranovsky's Batman: Year One movie looks very promising, detailing Batman's first forays into the world of vigilanteism.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2002, 08:40:53 PM »
That's interesting, the largest complaint I've heard about LotR and other movies like Spider-Man is that the action sequences are too long. Hopefully, the Helm's Deep sequence isn't so intense that it bores the audience. People can only take so much before they just give-up waiting for the situation to resolve itself.

In other news, the League of Extraordinary Gentleman movie has started filming in Prague. It's starring Sean Connery. Also a script for a Submariner movie has been started. The scriptwriter has promised that the movie will have little to no tie ins to the comic books. Still, it looks like there will be no shortage of comic-book tie-in movies coming out soon.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Kid_Kilowatt

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2002, 01:34:17 PM »
That's weird, because I haven't heard a single person (until you) complain that the action sequences in either movie were too long.  Most criticism of FOTR focused on the linear travel-and-fight plot and the similarity between the action sequences, not that they lasted too long.  Critics who didn't like the movie (Philadelphia Weekly, Hollywood Report Card, Richard Roeper, Juicy Cerebellum, etc.) complained about the overall length of the movie, but most of them pointed to the action sequences as highlights.  Other major complaints I've heard were the over-repetition of musical themes in the score and the insertion of unnecessary sequences (e.g. the sappy romantic scene).  Critics who liked the movie also pointed to the action sequences as a highlight - their minor quibbles lay in other aspects of the movie.  The same goes for the people I've talked to about the movie - no single action sequence lasts over 10 minutes (including the multi-part "escape from Moria" sequence), so I don't think there's much to complain about.

This is also true of Spiderman.  Few critics panned the movie, but those who did (Spliced Wire, Roger Ebert, Amazing Colossal, San Fran Chronicle, NY Observer, Apollo Movie Guide, etc.) never mentioned the length of the action sequences.  They complained primarily about the script, either the plot structure or the schticky dialogue.  Ebert, in fact, complained that the action sequences went by TOO fast.  Critics who liked the movie had no complaints about the fight scene lengths, and I haven't heard this complaint from friends and acquaintances who have seen the movie.  The action scenes in this movie don't last that long either (10-12 minutes at most) so there doesn't seem to be much to gripe about here either.  There may be people who think the action scenes in these movies go on too long, but it was FAR from the largest complaint levied against either movie.

You're right about the proliferation of comic-book movies, but I think it's unfair to list League of Extraordinary Gentlemen in this category, because few people have even heard of the comic.  I would list it with From Hell and Road To Perdition as a movie that came from a comic but almost no one who saw the movie knew it.  For the record, though, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is an amazing work and could be a great movie if it gets done the right way.