Author Topic: Interesting Movie Facts and Rumors  (Read 17301 times)

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting Movie Facts and Rumors
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2002, 05:56:27 PM »
Yes, but during the production of the first film, JK insisted that every actor in the film be British, including the extras. She even is rumored to have not wanted Chris Colombus as the director because he was American. Sure the money backing it is American but the intellectual rights belong to a Brit. With Columbus stepping down it was thought that JK would have a chance to get a Brittish director, which is what she wanted in the first place.

Also, half of the producers are British and most of the production crew is British. If the distributor (WB) wasn't American the entire film would of been British made.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2002, 06:00:55 PM by 42 »
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2002, 07:29:27 PM »
its a well known fact that one of the first ppl involved on the project was a certain chap called steven spielberg. however, he was essentially booted off (he "left") because he wanted it to be set in america. generally its felt that that would have destroyed the atmosphere of the film (its a very british book)
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2002, 03:04:34 AM »
Well, it *would* have destroyed the feel of the film.
Would have been like the stupid Doctor Who tv-movie they freaking shot in America.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2002, 08:37:18 PM »
I wish spielburg had been involved, it was a very boreing moive.  i lost my intrest after the first 30 min.  I still haven't read any of the books, and i doubt i ever will.  while I understand wanting the movie to 'feel' Brittish, I think Rawling went a little overboard.  I'm sure she's rather upset that the second move will have a few americans in it (a promotion over here that has Contest winners in the movie).
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2002, 05:53:55 PM »
So, the rumor is that someone has licensed Scott Card's The Lost Boys for a motion picture. I believe hearing rumors that a movie of Ender's Game was in the works. Does anyone know if a movie based on a Card novel will actually get made?
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2002, 11:47:17 AM »
The Ender's Game movie has been in the works for over a decade.  As I understand it, Card has sold himself the movie rights in some odd little deal to give himself complete creative control, and is having trouble finding someone to actually do the movie his way.

Of course, it doesn't help that the first draft of the script absolutly stunk.  I've got a copy of it, if you ever want to have a look.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2002, 03:34:21 PM »
Wolfgange Peterson (a perfect storm) is currently on board to direct (has been for a few months).
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Kid_Kilowatt

« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2002, 04:56:50 PM »
As some of you may know, Orson Scott Card held a convention of sorts this weekend called Endercon, celebrating the (20th?  25th?) anniversary of his novel, Ender's Game.  The big movie news revealed here was that Card is working on his third draft of the script which will be directed by Wolfgang Peterson for Warner Brothers.  Card has been working on this one for a long time - to give you an idea, his first idea for an actor to play Ender was a 11-year-old Brad Pitt.  The studio is apparently giving him a lot of crap because he wants the cast to represent the world's population, but the studio wants a predominantly white cast.  Grrr.

Life would be so much easier for us all if people paid attention to things that I say.  EUOL was right about the first script draft being terrible, but it's been through several iterations since then, and it is supposedly in a far superior state at present.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2002, 08:27:25 PM »
Forgive me if I don't hold my breath for a Card movie anytime soon (as in the next couple of years).

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2002, 05:13:34 AM »
As I understand things, Scott has a bit of...trouble getting along with most of the SF community.  I have a suspicion he has similar hindrances when working with Hollywood.

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2002, 11:48:12 PM »
As a matter of fact, he demands complete and total control of what does and doesn't get put in the movie. That means if the film's producer, director, and editor all want to take something out, and Card doesn't want it taken out, then Card has to have his way. That's been the major delay on movie deals for his books.

And yes, I did hear that little piece of trivia straight from Card.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2002, 05:41:23 AM »
lol.  Well, I guess that solves it, then.  

Still, I guess I can see his point.  It'd be tough to let a movie come out with pieces you don't approve of in it.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2002, 12:06:09 AM »
An interesting fact I found out this weekend (that kind of goes along with some of the discussion in Books): Terry Pratchett co-wrote the screenplay for Muppets Take Manhattan.  

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2002, 07:44:48 PM »
well it's officaial, New Line cinima wants to make a MacGuyver movie.  The only problem No Richerd Dean Anderson, well he won't be playing Mac.  He might be a producer and get a cameo.

Kid_Kilowatt

« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2002, 05:06:59 PM »
News on Ender's Game from a Card nerd convention appearance:

"Orson Scott Card began his reading session by giving an update on the status of adapting Ender?s Game  for the big screen. Nothing too new, or out of the ordinary, but he did confirm that they are still trying to come up with a script that blends Enders Game and Enders Shadow. Blending the two novels solves the problem that much of Ender?s Game is Ender?s internal monologue/struggle with the tasks placed before him. He also re-emphasized that no one has been cast yet, and any child will probably be unknown and approximately 7 years old right now in order to be in the 9 year old range when it comes time to film in approximately 1-2 years."

Maybe you guys are right.  This massive reworking of the script doesn't bode well, even if it is a good idea (and I'm not saying it is).  They may be as close as they've ever been to getting it made, but it may never get any closer.  Without a finished script, how long can they keep Wolfgang Peterson attached to the project?

In other news from the same convention, New Line has announced that they've optioned Greg Bear's Forge Of God with tentative plans to make the whole trilogy.  I've only read Forge Of God (and maybe the sequel although I remember nothing about it), but I was very impressed with it.  Could make a good movie.  Any other opinions?