Author Topic: Star Trek  (Read 5399 times)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Star Trek
« on: January 02, 2003, 07:09:33 PM »
I don't mean to distract from my Bond thread, but I want to bring up another franchise discussion. Most people I've talked to were fairly disappointed with Star Trek: Nemesis, which got me thinking. What would you consider to be the top three Trek movies? And since I expect most of those lists to be the same, which would you say is the single best? Which was the worst? And don't forget to explain why, or you won't get full credit for the question.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
Re: Star Trek
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2003, 02:57:05 AM »
The only Star Trek movie that was worth a damn was Wrath of Khan.  It was like an episode of the original series done with a huge budget.  it had awesome character development (Kirk realizing he is growing old), the best damned antagonist Star Trek ever had (Khan was too multi-dimensional to actually be called a villain), and the shock of watching them kill off the series most well-loved character (of course Spock popped right back up in the third film, which totally destroyed the sense of meaning of the original scene for all time).  Plus, Kirk's son turned out to be the New Wave freak from Square Pegs.  Who woulda thought it?
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2003, 08:14:26 AM »
the voyage home. great film. however, i havent watched it in the longest time, since we dont have it.  :(
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Nicadymus

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2003, 11:31:25 AM »
Wrath of Khan is probably the best movie because it delt with something directly related to the series.  It had a history that went above and beyond any of the other original series movies.
Boogie woogie woogie!!

Lord_of_Me

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2003, 12:03:05 PM »
Insurrection was good, followed by first contact and then nemesis(even though i haven't seen it it sounds good)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2003, 12:45:06 PM »
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that those are the only three (actually two) Star Trek movies you've seen, Isimir. Am I right?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

trekgirl07

• Level 1
  • ~!~ Supergirl ~!~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2003, 02:04:03 PM »
okay....  I'm a big fan of Star Trek... but really only TNG.  But I can tell you my top three Star Trek movies:
1)  First Contact - lots of suspense and jumpy scenes.  The Borg scare me  lol   :D
2)  The Voyage Home - even though I don't really care much for the original series of Star Trek, I thought this movie was HiLaRiOuS!!   ;D
3)  Nemesis - it was a pretty good movie,  :-/  though I was disappointed with how some of the scenes were cut.  They didn't really do much with how Shinzon was like, invading Deanna mind and all that...  They should have had more of that because that was kind of a major point of the story!   :P

I've never seen The Wrath of Khan...  But everyone here is saying it's really good, so I guess I'll watch it!   ;)  

And I think the WORST Star Trek movie ever was "Star Trek: The Motion Picture."   :P  booooorrriinnngg  Anyone here agree??  
"Your time will come. You will face the same evil...and you will defeat it." -Arwen

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2003, 02:47:25 PM »
Yes, in fact I do agree, but it's a very tough call deciding between that and #5.

By the way, everyone, this is my cousin. Welcome to the forum, trekgirl!

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2003, 03:03:22 PM »
Sorry, I'm going to have to go with #5 as the worst Star Trek ever. It has, in my opinion, no redeeming qualities whatsoever. At least the first movie had interesting elements, and I enjoyed it to some degree.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Nicadymus

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2003, 03:13:18 PM »
Welcome to the Forum, Trekgirl, a.k.a. cousin of Fellfrosch.  I have to vote #5 as well.  YUCK!!!! and that is all I have to say about that.
Boogie woogie woogie!!

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2003, 06:14:05 PM »
I just dread the day when they finally decide to do a Voyager movie......
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2003, 06:21:42 PM »
insurrections the worst. but then i havent seen either #1 or #5, so i cant say.

Trekgirl07, may i cangratulate you on your magnificently imaginative choices regarding nickname and picture. incidently in the local brit, thouragly disgusting all the happy-go-lucky mormons, by judicious use of swearwords, mentions of alchol use and teh oh-so-british habit of making snide and sarcastic comments.

welcome to the board!

(i enjoyed that. i truely am a uncultured barbarian)
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Nicadymus

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2003, 03:08:18 PM »
I can't argue with the "uncultured barbarian" comment Entropy, but then again I hardly know you.    ;D jk.

I do agree with Slant on the whole Voyager movie thought, though.  I am really not looking forward to that at all.
Boogie woogie woogie!!

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2003, 01:00:23 AM »
By the time they come out with the first Voyager film, Jeri Tyan will be too umm... matronly for that little silver catsuit.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2003, 11:30:39 AM »
Wrath of Khan us undeniably the best, but I'm surprised that no one here is mentioning The Undiscovered Country.  It was certainly in the top three (or maybe it just seemed so good after #5).
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com