Author Topic: Skar's impending return  (Read 3801 times)

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Re: Skar's impending return
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2003, 08:55:11 AM »
Its more complicated than that. For instance I used to be attached to  Coast Guard cutter Legare (270 foot ship). Our tour on a cutter is 4 years long. During each of those years I can expect to be deployed or on patrol about six months or more. My last year we were underway over eight months because our replacement Cutter the Bear threw the Maritime equivelent of a rod. Romoving a 100+ft main drive shaft is not an easy task. They were pier side more than a year (lucky them) and everyone took up their slack. With that much time underway inports weren't exactly fun either and 99% of our inport time was spent repairing or maintaining our cutter.

I was on Legare for 3 years before my speciality school ('A' school or MOS for you Army types) and underway 22 months. 22 months on a 270 foot boat with 100 + of your friends. I had a locker and the space under my bunk was just big enough for my clothes. Oh and my bunk was the bottom on in a set 3 high 6 feet long one and a half feet high and d on hinges so that when I wasn't in it I could put it agains the wall. Oh but I had a mini flurescent light so that made it all better.

I had a good time, even if it sounds like I didn't, but the married guys who got to see their kids for 4 months out of a year did not. Long deployments just murder morale, and cause more drinking  and drug problems than youd imagine.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2003, 09:18:47 AM »
yeah, you're not going to entice many more people in without a cuase, not just compensation. And not enough people feel strongly enough about the current cause to actually go and shoot people for it. But with Bush's objectives, I wouldn't be surprised if we see peacetime draft. Which would tick me off royally.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2003, 09:44:22 AM »
It'd start w 18-25 year olds so youd be safe bud...
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2003, 12:28:05 PM »
I must again point out the election year.  If it happened, it wouldn't come until 2005.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2003, 02:21:05 PM »
Any speculations on the 2004 election, anyone?

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2003, 02:24:28 PM »
Tony Blair shall stand and become president of the US :|

(note - only american citizens who were american from birth (ie, not immigrants) can do that, so thats not gonna happen.)
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2003, 10:59:25 PM »
I have doubts and fears about all the candidates. I can rule out two candidates right now. Probably 2 or 3 others as well. The problem with me is I can't even decide who I *want* to win. i agree with one party (more or less) on foreign policy, and another (more or less) on domestic issues. So I have to decide what my priorities are, and how active the winner will be on the issues I don't agree with him on. Thankfully, I have a year to decide.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2003, 11:17:46 PM »
Unless it's descovered that Bush totaly lied and made up everything, which he didn't, he's my man.  None of the democrats currently running have said anything to intrest me as of yet.  Especialy when every democrat has said that they'll raise taxes.  Probaly so they can fund more studies into gay Native Americans.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2003, 01:12:06 AM »
You honestly believe that he wasn't aware of the information he says he wasn't aware of? I'm sorry, that ignorance is a little too convenient how it comes and goes. You can't tell me that no one in the CIA didn't try to say "uh, no, that's not what we said, Mr. President." Either he knew and was lying about the intelligence he had, or else his advisors knew and didn't tell him, which means he's not competant and is trusting the untrustworthy, and he needs to can them to show that we can remotely trust him.

Taxes go up in every administration. "No New Taxes" anyone? It's become an issue that I largely ignore when voting for a president.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2003, 07:26:32 AM »
Uh Saint, bush just cut taxes.

And wth is up with your nutty congress, passign a bill to research gay indians. That democrat essentially said, "Its our jobs to randomly agree with whatever the experts tell us and to then throw money around and hope for the best".
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2003, 09:33:38 AM »
Yup, and they'll go back up. They always do. I don't hold myself accountable for every dumbass thing congress does either. Else I'd owe myself so many punches in the mouth that I'd be permanently bloody