Author Topic: Teen Titans  (Read 1876 times)

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
Teen Titans
« on: July 26, 2003, 12:07:20 AM »
Has anybody seen the new Teen Titans cartoon?  Any feedback at all?
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
Re: Teen Titans
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2003, 12:13:02 AM »
Augh! Stop putting more soup on the ladel! It can't hold all of it.

You've gotten me onto "Dead Like Me" and the new Spider-Man. No more damnit!
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2003, 12:17:51 AM »
Ya it well....Sucks.  I've alwayse like Bruce Timm's stuff but I have no Idea what they were thinking here.  There's no "How the titans meet" story.  Also the 2 I've seen weren't very well written.  Timm's previous stuff have been usealy very well written and some very clever, but Teen Titans has been majorly dumbed down.  Teen Titans to the orignal batman series or batmab beyond is like comparing Ed,Edd, and Eddy to Samurai Jack.  So pain full.  Also they're trying to make it more anime like with facial expressions and such, it just dosen't work at all.  It would be different if the Japanese character (or so I think), StarFire, did that but everyone does.  There's also a lot of cheep animation tricks they use to save money.  And they seam to use these during fighting scenes.

So basicaly compaired to your adverage carttoon it's ok, but compaired to everything else that's studio's ever done it a crime.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2003, 11:09:01 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2003, 01:43:54 AM »
I agree with Sprig. Teen Titans is a comic book/super-hero thing dumbed down for ???. I watched a few minutes and decided I couldn't take it anymore and switched channels. There was just nothing cool about it. I think it was trying to be funny, but ended up just feeling rehashed and boring. And the animation style gets real annoying, really fast. It's just not consistant.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2003, 07:51:11 PM »
I find myself in the awkward and unenviable position of fully agreeing with both Spriggan and 42. The animation is doofy, the stories and writing are bad, and they left out some of the best characters. I was kind of excited about this one, but it's just too stupid to watch more than once (or at all, actually).
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2003, 01:13:03 PM »
By Aaron Williams
Now, some unpleasantness: Whoever is responsible for Cartoon Network's "Teen Titans," shame on you! They've managed to create the only Warner-Brother's superhero show that causes my brain to leak from my ears. The theme song sounds like the closing credits music from "Powerpuff Girls," and they appear to have given the animation and scriptwriting tasks to someone who loves anime for all the wrong reasons. Anime has often been a positive influence: "Samurai Jack" and "Batman Beyond" are two favorites of mine that owe a lot to Japanimation. This show used all of the "goofy" and none of the "cool" when creating this... travesty. It needs to either be cancelled or heavily re-tooled.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2003, 06:15:08 PM »
I actually thought that the theme song was the coolest part. It's by the "Banana Chips" group, and you can't beat that.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2003, 06:23:54 PM »
It's a Puffy (the group) song that was on one of their last albums and Cartoon network got it for the theam music.  It wasn't written for the show.  Puffy's an intresting group that go from realy cutesy songs and looks to Alantis Moraste look and sound all the time.  They actauly like doing their concerts in Jeens and sweet shirts, which isn't common in Japan.  Where your look can sell you better then your music.  I've got several of their singles from when they were in Japan.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2003, 06:27:28 PM by Spriggan »

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2003, 06:36:06 PM »
Banana Chips is by Shonen Knife...different group Fell.  But it appears I was wrong about one thing in the pervious post.  Which is Cartoon network did hire them to write the song just for Teen Titans.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2003, 06:40:54 PM by Spriggan »

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2003, 02:10:43 AM »
Okay, I finally got to see this show.  Not only that, but I got to see all three of those put out so far in one sitting.  I know I will draw fire for this, but the cartoon really isn't all that bad.  Granted, it isn't Akira. Hell, it isn't even Dragonball Z.  Still, it is a cute show aimed at kids.  I watched it with mine and we all enjoyed it.  The show had a good selection of characters generally found in kids' shows. You had the Smart One, the Tough One, the Perky One, the Spooky One, and the Funny One.  Some of the lines were kinda funny, but to be honest the only strength the show has is in the interactions between the characters.  The plots are barely there, and the fight scenes make no logical sense whatsoever.  For a serious contender in the anime field, I give it an F.  For a fun cartoon aimed at kids (and the young at heart), I give it a B+.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2003, 06:56:42 PM »
I watched it with mine

Uhm... i thought you were 17 Slant???
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2003, 09:13:40 PM »
I had the displeasure of watching it again during the comercial breaks of Most Extreme Challenge and it about made me comatose.  WB is betting a lot on this show, they're showing it on Kids WB on saturdays which is the most popular saturday cartoon block.  And their advertizing it on about every channel I saw comercials for it on Fox News and MSNBC!  It might do well on saturday morining but when Cartoon network is showing only older people (16+) watch.  It's not good enough to be the Hit it wants, but hey they still show Ed, Edd, and Eddy.

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2003, 09:46:29 PM »
17?  Ummmm... not sure how you got that one.  I am well over that age.  As a matter of fact, I think that I'm probably the oldest geezer on the board.