Author Topic: Firefly  (Read 5549 times)

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
Firefly
« on: September 20, 2002, 12:53:24 PM »
For all the local Utah folks, does anyone know when Firefly premiers tonight? With Sci-Fi channel ripped from my hands, I figure I might as well give it a try.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Firefly
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2002, 02:18:50 PM »
Yeah, I lost my sci-fi channel too. They replaced it with Univision, but somehow I don't think that's a fair trade. As for Firefly I think it's on at 7:00, but I'll try to find out more firmly. Want to make it a party and watch it over here?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2002, 05:12:26 PM »
Yes, Firefly is at 7:00, it's the pilot which appears to be two hours. I'll probably be watching it since Sci-Fi repeats the same episode of Stargate for four hours on fridays. I hoping I get out of class on time.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2002, 12:14:58 AM »
Okay so it was only one hour, the source I checked had it misprinted or had something against John Doe. I'm trying to decide if I liked Firefly or not. There were a lot characters, even for a pilot, yet somehow I don't think characterization is the focus at the moment. It seems to be trying to establish setting and plot points at the moment. I think I'll give it a solid "apathetic" score.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2002, 12:39:14 AM »
I agree. It spent so much time establishing setting and an enormous cast of characters, so it's hard to judge it objectively. It has a lot of potential, though, so I'm going to be keeping an eye on it.

I also like John Doe a lot; as Tage pointed out to me earlier, it smacks very strongly of "Nowhere Man," which died all too quickly. John Doe had a much stronger start than Firefly, but it only had to deal with a couple of characters and didn't have to establish setting at all.

Dang it. I never watch TV on purpose--I just watch whatever's on when I have nothing else to do. If these shows live up to their potential I might have to start keeping track of them. At least they had the good manners to run consecutively in a convenient time slot.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2002, 01:12:34 AM »
I'm not so sure about John Doe yet. Being set in Seattle helps it a lot (my childhood home). I just thought that the characters were a little hokey. I also don't think that they have adequately defined what John Doe knows and what he doesn't. It seems very arbitrary.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2002, 01:59:14 PM »
Yes, I noticed that--there's obviously a limit, but they haven't defined well where it is. He only knows things that other humans already know (fo example, if he truly knew everything he'd know if and where there was life on other planets), and he only knows certain kinds of facts (he knows that a certain type of skeleton comes from a vegetarian, but he doesn't nkow where who kidnapped a certain girl. I assume from this that he must have been "given" knowledge from an earthly source, making him more of an encyclopedia than a clairvoyant. Yet this source did not include the criminal database for some reason--it seemed very strange for a guy who supposedly knows everything to be doing research of any kind. Why does he know that a certain token comes from a certain kind of washing machine, but he doesn't know which laundromats use that kind of washing machine? It seems a little arbitrary, as 42 said.

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2002, 02:51:53 PM »
*cries
They took away my Sci-fi channel and my TV Guide channel!!  They're so mean. :(
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2002, 05:46:14 PM »
You know AT&T digital just redid their line-up. For us SciFi got moved from channel 77 to channel 160. SO we didn't really lose any channels they just got moved. I don't know if the same applies to you all.

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2002, 12:55:57 PM »
The rest of us all don't get digital cable, so the "move" effectively took Sci-Fi away from us.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2002, 08:25:01 PM »
I thought Teikel had Provo cable.  but it dosen't matter with Farscape cancelled who wants to watch Sci-Fi, There's nothing worth watching on it now.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2002, 08:31:32 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2002, 08:39:34 PM »
I do have Provo cable, they just changed.  But you're right, without Farscape there really wasn't much else to watch (aside from MST3K, SG1, and old Quantum Leap episodes).
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2002, 08:48:52 PM »
SciFI doesn't show Quantum Leap anymore. So that's one less reason to watch it.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2002, 09:32:15 PM »
And they refuse to show any of the MST3K episodes from Comedy central which have some of the best ones.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2002, 01:50:08 PM »
Do they refuse, or will Comedy Central not let them? Sci-Fi doesn't seem like it refuses to show anything (since any other station would refuse to show half the crap on Sc-Fi anyway).