Author Topic: *snap snap*  (Read 4637 times)

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: *snap snap*
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2003, 01:20:17 AM »
Saint, it seems that you're surrounded in Star Wars.  It's only a matter of time before your hijas come around.

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2003, 01:42:15 AM »
If you're waiting for a picture of me, don't be anticipatin' no gold bikini.  :-* And you'll have to wait till I can get the film to the store, which will be at least next week sometime.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2003, 05:41:21 AM »
What always bugged me is how, in the pre-films and KOTOR the technology is progressively greater the further back it goes, yet no explanation is given for teh tech drain.

In the EU books i read they actually said the ships were dirty, full of nasty chemicals during the clone wars and that "modern" ships are nice and clean.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2003, 09:34:21 AM »
The Imperial ships ARE clean. Just without a human touch.

Again, I assume this is some novel you read which I'm going to declare as not counting. Eps 4-6 take place in a dark age period. It happens: you lose knowledge. Plus most of the ships you see in Eps 4-6 are personal stuff from the fringes of society: the Millenium Falcon is a criminal's ship, docked on Tatooine, a backwater planet in the boon docks. The rebels are subversives and pretty much take what they can because they don't have the resources. Besides, that account ignores the Calamari ships in RotJ which were clean and well lit.

I think you're just whining.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2003, 10:33:07 AM »
Well maybe not a full blown dark age, but at least a change in fashion and priorities. Think of it like this in the 1920s a new and avant guard style arose from the nihilism of the first world war, evertything had a streamlined and organic fancy look (trains, planes, ships, boats). By the time World war II came around those styles were gone, harsh economic realities and bad times had changed priorities to the utilitarian and plain. A volkswagon for instance doesn't look as nice as a Rolls Royce phantom III and a b-17 was described as an ugly green box bristleing with machine guns.

Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2003, 04:21:05 PM »
You misunderstand. The EU book suggested that they had better (or cleaner) technology.

Why are they in a dark age? Stuff in the 30's may not have looked as nice but were much more technologically advanced.

And i regard EU books as cannon. Otherwise there is not much to go on. And if you regard EP 1 and 2 as cannon, well, the books were more entertaining (and better written) than those.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2003, 04:46:36 PM »
You misunderstood Jeffe. He didn't say that tech was worse, just that it wasn't as fancy looking.

And sorry, no. The little of the novels I've read are complete and utter crap. I haven't seen a single worthwhile thing come from any of the novels. ANY complaint you have that is grounded on information from the novels is going to be scoffed at by me. Just a warning.  

And even if you think the prequels were even worse (which I don't, yes, there are some awkward bits, but the mythology is actually quite good, which is not somethign you can say for the novels). Plus it has the virute of having been produced/released by George Lucas, not just by his permission, which means that whether you like them or not, they're canon. It's a silly argument to make though, because your complaint itself has to do with ratifying what you've read into the what you've seen in the movie.

Again, the tech is better. The X-Wing can beat the snot out of previous fighters. It's a MUCH better fighter than anything you see in the prequels. Likewise the Star Destroyers and Super Star Destroyers: bigger better faster more. Nothing like it before. And yes, they're clean, as is the Death Star, unless you're making the irrational complaint that the trash compactor should also be clean.

The rebelion's stuff looks junkier because it IS junkier than standard tech. It's patched together hodge podge of whatever they can get. so none of it looks as nice and shiny.

The factories and the command center on Geonosis on the other hand, which is the head quarters of an alliance that spans tons of systems, including the two richest organizations extant (the Trade Federation and the Banking guild) looks like trash. Completely. the Trade Federation command ships don't look any better than command ships seen in eps 4-6.

Bespin is pretty sharp looking. At least as clean cut as Naboo. You could argue Naboo looks niftier, but keep this in mind: Bespin is a MINE, which is inherently dirty, and the entire thing is just tech. Whereas Naboo is simply stone buildings that they've been able to make all over the place.

Plus, motion picture special effects have improved in the decades since the original trilogy was made, so Lucas can do cooler stuff -- which is the real reason it looks that way.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2003, 05:06:01 PM »
dorks.

This was a thread about the Addams family!
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2003, 05:10:41 PM »
"was" being the operative tense.