Author Topic: NBC new line up  (Read 5090 times)

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
NBC new line up
« on: November 05, 2003, 05:27:19 PM »
So on CNN, they mentioned that NBC is scrapping most of it's new shows and is dying in the ratings.

So my question is: If you could create your own televisions series, what would it be about and why would people want to watch it?
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Re: NBC new line up
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2003, 05:43:20 PM »
Incidentially, can anyone tell me what kind of program tends to do well in the US? History programs are surprisingly strong here in the UK, along with the insipid "reality" shows and "trading homes" crap. Sci Fi is largely the domain of Sky one, and comedy is a firm favourite.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2003, 05:44:49 PM »
Situation comedies, crime drama, and "reality" are probably the most prominant. With game shows following it up. During the day soap operas and talk shows reign.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2003, 06:08:26 PM »
CSI is the strongest performing show in the US. Since starting its new season it has been at the top of the ratings ever since. CSI spin-offs are also doing well. Crime and court dramas do very well.

A flood of reality TV shows, that are really just game shows, thrive in number. And "makeover" shows are growing in numbers getting the rest of the nation to look like N.Y.C. or L.A.

Insidentally, the shows that NBC is scrapping are mostly British imports that have been Americanized.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2003, 06:21:26 PM »
Eh. I don't watch or like them, so i disregarded them, but soap operas like Emmerdale, brookside, and the one set in london... damn, can't remember the name. But anyway, those have nigh-fanatical followings. 24 has been on, very popular. Crime dramas are also biggies, with A Touch of Frost, Inspector Morse and The Bill being old favourites.

History shows do get reasonably good slots on the BBC. The latest one has been "Time Commanders" where they use the upcoming game "Rome: Total War" to re-create battles from antiquity with a team of 4 ordinary joes trying to command the forces to victory. They usually stink abominabally. The show is only average, but it has attracted a lot of attention from wargamers and the like.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2003, 07:05:35 PM »
Man, what kind of tv show would I make.

Thats a very tough decision. But it would probably be something comedic. Without values, or any un-stereotypical theme. I would want to make fun of everything and anything. Focus on a rock and talk about something for a minute. I dunno, it'd be something cool though. I'd be the genre definning redefinition!
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2003, 07:52:37 PM »
Gemm: Andy Kaufman on crack and angel dust at the same time.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2003, 07:55:23 PM »
In other words it would suck.  ;)

Fellfrosch

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2003, 08:33:49 PM »
Heh, something like that SE. Maybe some something or such thrown in there too.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2003, 10:17:53 PM »
I think the "make fun of everything and anything" schtick has been done to much. Successful TV show creators are a little more focused than that. You also didn't mention why people or which people would watch it, which if you're going to create something for an audience that should be the first thing to ask yourself.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2003, 11:38:07 PM »
I like the idea of Time Commanders, or at least the impression I got of the show from Entropy's brief description. I'd get some seriously super amazing modelers and painters and such to do tabletop armies and scenery (no video games, all minis) and then have people off the street try to play through the scenario, with history/military buffs watching and doing commentary. You wouldn't show the whole match in real time, of course, just the good stuff edited down.

Either that, or something called Bikini Obstacle Course. I think that one's target demographic should be obvious.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2003, 12:39:23 AM »
Is that an Obstacle corse that bikinis have to run, or a course made entirely out of bikinis that people have to navigate?
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2003, 12:52:05 AM »
I *hope* it's wimmins in bikini's running an obstacle course. Any obstacle course that involves them running and jumping.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2003, 05:03:26 AM »
It's actually all of those: women in bikinis who have to run an obstacle course entirely made out of bikinis (and, occasionally, women in bikinis). Each event you win gives you access to other, better bikinis that serve no official purpose (much like DOA Beach Volleyball).
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2003, 11:21:24 AM »
/me lights you all on fire

Burn! Burn!

Personally, I am a big fan of Gilmore Girls, Charmed and Judging Amy. Chick shows with a lot of emphasis on relationships, etc. But I'd also like to see shows like Monster Garage and Orange County Choopers come on at an earlier time so that I can remember to watch them. NBC should pick up those two shows.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy