Author Topic: Matrix: Revolutions  (Read 1740 times)

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Matrix: Revolutions
« on: November 05, 2003, 12:54:31 AM »
So the reviews are coming in on Rottentomatoes.com and they are searingly bad. It also seems like a lot of the critics have changed their minds about Reloaded.

Since I didn't care to see Reloaded and probably won't see Revolutions, have they really gone downhill from the original?
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
Re: Matrix: Revolutions
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2003, 02:26:10 AM »
Reloaded was rather disappointing compared to the original.  It was in need of a serious, hard-handed edit, and it didn't get it because everyone was still thinking, "Oh!  Wachowski brothers are gods!!!  We will give them whatever they want!"

The first movie was much better from a cinamatography standpoint, too- and there were too many fight scenes in Reloaded that were too long. (everyone I know who's seen it got sick of the 100 Agent smiths fight scene about halfway into it.)

I'm curious to see how it all ends, but they will never be as good as the first movie.  
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2003, 06:35:43 PM »
I got my ticket yesterday, for tomorow, and I'm excited. I may speculate a bit here, since I have a very good diea of what the third will be like.

The second two by their very nature can't be the same as the first, since we already know "what is the matrix". That cn't be undone. While I agree about the fight scenes, what I loved about the first was the multiple levels - Action Movie, Social Comment (We're all slaves to the system) and Extistential Philosohpy. The second dropped most of the social comment (Although there was still some "We need machines to survive" comment) for more philosohpy, but I still thought it was fantastic, mainly because I understood it. Too mnay people hated the film because they didn't understand what the Architect was getting at. I did, and liked it a lot.

I'm guessing the thid will be similar to the second in this respect, so I should find it really good. I plan to appear tomorrow (A day late, but I have an exam in the morning - last one!) decked out in trenchcoat and stuff.

I don't think either are/will be worse than the first, since they'e trying to be different things.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2003, 07:12:31 PM »
When the trial ended today, I called Tage and we hopped over to the movie theater to watch Revolutions. These are my major impressions, in no particular order. I don't believe any of these to be spoilers.

1. I loved it, but Tage didn't seem to like it as much as I did.

2. The pacing and editing were much better--none of the long and/or misplaced scenes that marked the second one.

3. Just like the first two, it's nothing at all like you'd expect it to be. I see that as a good thing.

4. The Merovingian should have had a bigger role.

5. The battle in the Zion dock was one of the most amazing, exhilerating movie sequences I've ever scene.

6. That one guy (I can't say who, to avoid spoilers) does an uncannily accurate impersonation of Agent Smith.

7. The final showdown is remarkably similar to Dragonball Z, and I don't necessarily mean that in a good way.

8. The resolution, if such it can be called, was kind of a letdown but also kind of cool. I suppose I should say that while I liked what they did, I wasn't crazy about how they did it.

I'd love to discuss it further, but I'll wait until more people have seen it.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2003, 01:00:33 PM »
I would just like to add that I also liked the movie, lest people get the wrong impression. It's entirely possible that Fell liked it more than me, but I did like it quite a bit.

I can definitely see how many, many people will not like it, though. The movies as a complete trilogy are a *completely* different beast than the first movie by itself, and that's going to throw a lot of people off.

The trilogy is, in fact, very similar in structure to Unbreakable, only not done quite so well. But I guess I'll save the rest of my comments for a spoiler thread.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2003, 02:40:10 PM »
I don't know if I see the Unbreakable connection, though I'm interested to hear it. I find it most similar to Star Wars, but that's a little more obvious.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2003, 11:39:40 PM »
Woah....That was GOOD.

I have a few comments to make, but they're mostly questions with spoilers, so I'll wait a bit to say them also. As for comments with No to very minor spoilers:

The movie is nothing like you would expect to develop from the first film, or the second.

The second was deeply philosophica; and speech oriented, this was pure action. I felt it needed some more conversation.

The Zion fight ruled. Incredibly intense.

After Neo's fight in the hovership, I felt the result was very  much like the second Dune book.

There were some inconsistances I feel, which I'll discuss after spoilers come into play.

I liked the Smith battle effects, as well as the whole nature of the showdown.

The film is called "The Matrix". Why, then, is the Matrix not in the film very much? The real-world scenes are great, but there wasn't enough in-matrix action.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy