Author Topic: Oscar F/X cuts  (Read 1435 times)

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Oscar F/X cuts
« on: December 22, 2003, 02:55:24 PM »
So the academy has cut out both of the Matrix sequels as possible nominations for Best F/X.

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-main.html?2003-12/22/10.30.film

For those of you who are unfamiliar with how this works. F/X workers who are members of the academy nominate which movies should recieve recognition. The F/X people with then narrow down the list for the actual nominations. The final nominations are voted on by all academy members to select who gets the oscar.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Oscar F/X cuts
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2003, 03:11:07 PM »
While my first response is to make a joke about a group of hollywood people being called an "acadamy," instead this little blurb I saw on that page was even more funny:

Media 8 Entertainment and Brett Ratner's Rat Entertainment have teamed to produce the supernatural horror comedy film Santa's Slay, written and to be directed by David Steiman, Variety reported. In Santa's Slay, St. Nick reverts to his true self as a devil who only kept his bad side in check after losing a wager with an angel.

Also, a Garfield (as in, the cat) live action movie. What will those guys think of next?

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2003, 07:10:21 PM »
Ya but Garfield has a chance of being good.  It's being written by the guys who wrote Toy Story 1 and 2.  I'm not a fan of the Matrix movies but they probaly should have been nominated.  But if you look at the ones that made it their F/X were more then CG and stunts like the Matrix.  Which might mean that either the acadamy thought that matrix 2&3 didn't advance any F/X wise from the first one or they didn't want to nominate a total GC only movie.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2003, 07:14:51 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2003, 07:37:42 PM »
I'd pick Pirates over any of those on the list. RotK was cool, and Gollum was incredible, but the cursed pirates were the best FX I've seen in a while.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2003, 03:54:22 PM »
Especially when you consider the teenie budget Pirates crew were working with.

Garfield live action?  :o That's the worst thing I have ever heard. He's a cartoon character!!
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy