Author Topic: Movie Etiquette  (Read 2020 times)

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Movie Etiquette
« on: December 24, 2003, 02:14:13 PM »
For all of the good movie attendees, there is some justice.

http://www.harktheherald.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=9734
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
Re: Movie Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2003, 07:22:23 PM »
What a crazy story.  Sounds like the usher told the lady to sit down there, then the other lady freaked out and threw her out of the seat.  So I don't really feel sorry about her getting a ticket.  Its not all that strange for a theatre to have a seating policy either, I've seen that alot.  Sometimes its that you can only save one seat, or only save seats that you are holding the tickets for, or only save them until the show starts, etc.  But usually when they are planning on enforcing them, there are signs posted up in line and when you walk into the theatre and such... no idea how visibly they had their policy posted at that theatre.  Also, I generally see people being pretty friendly and people switching seats and different things so at least two people in a group can sit together.  It kinda sucks to be stuck in a corner by yourself.

I don't really have a problem with someone saving a seat or two, even if it means I get a crappy one.  The most uncomfortable I ever was at a movie, I got stuck in this seat that was meant for two people.  Then about 10 minutes into the movie some guy came and sat down in the other half, which was alright since the movie was sold out.  But then I started to realise the guy was gay, and he started leaning on my shoulder.  I would have much rather gotten a bad seat from some punk saving half a row then have went through that, heh.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Lieutenant Kije

• Level 33
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2003, 12:55:18 AM »
Whoa, EP - that's a freaky story.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2003, 07:02:30 PM »
EP that is definitely a freaky incident and an example of bad movie going etiquette as well.

One that that must be understood about Utahns. When the mean saving seats, they really mean saving sections. It's not unussually for one person to be designated the seat saver, who then proceeds to save 16-20 seats. All because Utahns just can't handle being on time for something or, even worse, early.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2003, 10:31:08 AM »
"mormon standard time"
yeah, the more people, the tougher it is to coordinate, but that doesn't mean they try any harder.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2003, 04:03:36 PM »
What really annoys me is when an official gets up in, say the Marriot center, and asks everyone to move inward and not save seats . . . and nobody moves. Do they think he's up there for his health?
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2003, 04:20:13 PM »
As long as we're talking about etiquette: turn off your $#%$#@ cellphones.  For that matter, get rid of the stupid things altogether.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2003, 04:42:25 PM »
Here here!

I haven't been to a movie in over  a year where at least one cell phone didn't ring.

I always want to start throwing some ice when that happens, but I'm just too nice, I guess...

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2003, 04:48:25 PM »
throwing ice is too nice. Pummelling is more like it.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2003, 05:27:21 PM »
Here in britain they show a series of very funny adverts by Orange (mobile phone company) which all end with the line "Don't let your mobile phone ruin the film. Turn it off."

Never had a cellphone ring in a film with that advert (ie, all films for the last 2 years).
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2003, 07:44:18 PM »
I've decided to write an article on movie etiquette with proper (possibly illeagle) disciplinary action for offenses. Hopefully, I'll have it done by the end of the week.