Author Topic: Return of the King *SPOILERS*  (Read 9597 times)

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
Re: Return of the King *SPOILERS*
« Reply #90 on: December 31, 2003, 01:48:10 PM »
It's going back to "Mr." soon as I figure I can fake being a doctor over the holidays just for fun.  :)  Only another year and a half til I'm legit and all.

I was with a few members of my gaming group at the movie and one of the lines in Cirith Ungol was hilarious in light of a recent game.

We're playing through the "Smackdown the Slavers" series in Hackmaster and we recently landed in one of the main Slaver cities in disguise.  An orc approached us and tried to buy our torchbearer.  As my character was the only one who spoke orc, I dealt with him.  It was a really fun bit of roleplay and I ended the conversation with "Kill you later" to which he replied "Not if I kill you first" which we decided was the orc equivalent of saying goodbye.

So when Sam said virtually the same thing when he kills the orc in Cirith Ungol, it got a mighty roar of laughter from us.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #91 on: December 31, 2003, 01:53:18 PM »
Oh, and as for why Sauron fear Aragorn so much...

I had no idea that the Numenorans completely smacked down Sauron long ago!  Talk about a humiliating defeat for him. Of course, he got his revenge...big time.  Aragorn, being one of the last to carry the blood of Numenor, is still a reminder of his defeat and subsequent captivity and its a constant reminder that he can be brought down.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 31, 2003, 02:10:55 PM »
Sauron was there when Numenor fell into the ocean.  He was "killed" and had to assume spirit form, but managed to take the One Ring with him.  This is of course at the time we was turning the current rulers of Numenor into the Ringwraiths.  Sauron and Nomenor have a lot of connections.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2003, 02:12:31 PM by Eagle_Prince »
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #93 on: December 31, 2003, 02:41:07 PM »
That's the revenge I was talking about.  Sauron was the catalyst that caused the fall of Numenor

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 31, 2003, 02:58:23 PM »
Ah, I see.  Also the fact that Aragorn won the battle at Gondor, had the same sword that cut the hand off Sauron, and the Witch King had been killed.  Not just who Aragorn was, but what he had done would scare Sauron pretty good.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 31, 2003, 03:00:22 PM »
I think its funny though that in the end he would have been most scared of little Frodo.  heh.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #96 on: December 31, 2003, 03:39:07 PM »
I think that might have been one of Tolkien's objectives in writing about small boy-like person.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 31, 2003, 06:39:30 PM »
What, you mean to be funny?  Lol, maybe.