Author Topic: Could we get some more drama, please?  (Read 6050 times)

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
Could we get some more drama, please?
« on: March 03, 2006, 08:33:44 PM »
So, I've applied to the English MA program at BYU for the third year running.  They've already rejected me twice, but I haven't felt right about leaving the area yet, and they have a good program for writing young adult fiction, so I keep applying.  

I wasn't expecting to hear from them until the end of the month, but I got an email yesterday saying that while they've decided not to admit me, they've selected me as their third alternate.  

They issue acceptance letters assuming that five people will turn them down.  For every person above those five who turns them down, one alternate will get in.  So essentially, eight out of thirty-five accepted applicants have to turn them down in order for me to be admitted.  

What's more, I won't get final word on whether or not I'm accepted until the END OF MAY.  I don't think ANYONE's letters have even been mailed yet.  Ouch.

I feel like I've dropped into one of my novels.  Or worse--one of someone else's novels, where everything is being set up for a dramatic climax, and I have no control over the outcome.  

Jeez.  At least it wasn't an outright rejection, although that might have been kinder than stringing me along for two months and *then* rejecting me.  

*Fish takes a deep breath

Oh, the drama.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 08:34:31 PM by MsFish »
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
Re: Could we get some more drama, please?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2006, 08:47:23 PM »
Sorry to hear that, Fish. Really. :( Suspense like that is so hard. But at least there's some hope. Plus, if you feel that staying in UT is right, maybe this (or something better) will come through for you.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2006, 08:48:09 PM »
Yeah, maybe.  Or maybe I'll be stuck in retail for another year.  

Argh.
Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly.  Hold fast to dreams, for when dreams go, life is a barren field frozen with snow.  -Langston Hughes

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2006, 08:58:08 PM »
It is better than a total rejection though. Now if you could just get the list of people who applied we can scare at least 8 away. I think thats totally possible.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Parker

• Level 12
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2006, 10:30:39 PM »
Sorry to hear that, Fish.  If it makes you feel any better (or gives you false hope so you can crash farther next time), my wife found out that last year, the TESOL MA program at BYU only ended up having half the class size they accepted because so many people didn't end up going.  You have to remember that for a lot of these people, BYU is a second choice.  (That's not meant to insult you--the Y was a first choice for me personally.)  Plus, the average entering class size is a good . . . 45ish?  I think that's how many--30-45, I'd guess.  And they have an acceptance rate of 45%, so you figure about 60-100 people apply each year . . .  I'd say you have a fair chance of getting in still.  But they're still punks for doing this to you, any way you slice it.

On a similar vein, I applied for another Orem Library Part Time position, mainly because my supervisors kept implying it was a lock if I did.  I found out yesterday I didn't get the job.  Thanks.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2006, 10:51:17 PM »
The fools!! >:( We hates them for you, yes we does!
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2006, 12:30:25 PM »
Fish, I've been there. I was on the waiting list for a couple of prestigious law schools when I was applying to law school. One told me that they couldn't take me afterall but the other accepted me. However, I didn't find out until a couple of weeks before school started that I was accepted, which happend to be when I had moved from Provo to Logan, UT. So after living in Logan, UT for two days, I moved to Madison, WI (and dropped out of a MA program at Utah State).

I know BYU is ultra-competative and a hard school to turn down but I wouldn't give up hope on you getting in. It sounds like you have a fair shot, even if it takes a while to find out. People do decline acceptances.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2006, 12:41:14 PM »
* Nessa sprinkles fairy dust on Fish for good luck.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2006, 12:41:28 PM by MrsNessaC »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2006, 08:50:01 PM »
Thanks, all.  

Parker, that actually does make me feel a little bit better (the
TESOL thing, that is).  Sorry about the job.  They obviously don't know what's good for them.  

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2006, 10:02:53 PM »
Have you heard from any of  the other schools? I know it's frustrating to wait to hear--I'd accepted Simmons by the time that Illinois State finally got around to telling me I was accepted and giving me a TA offer--in mid December, three or four weeks before school started. By then, I'd decided that Simmons was the place I wanted to go. I think if you know the place is right for you, you should give it time and see how it works out.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2006, 11:18:51 PM »
I won't be going to UW or SJSU even if they accept me.  So it really doesn't matter what they say.  Of course, it would be nice to be accepted, but BYU is really the only one that matters at this point.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2006, 11:49:40 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking more of the boost of the acceptance. But if you were to get accepted, I'd think it'd be something to think about, of course. I never intended to live in Boston (it was my "safe school," because I intended to go to Illinois State and stay near home), but it was one of the best decisions I ever made.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2006, 12:05:02 AM »
I'm really, really sorry, Fish. I'm crossing my fingers and super duper hoping for you.
(They have sent out their letters, BTW.)

MsFish

• Level 44
  • Geek Girl, Undercover
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2006, 03:22:08 AM »
I'm really, really sorry, Fish. I'm crossing my fingers and super duper hoping for you.
(They have sent out their letters, BTW.)

And???????

But if you were to get accepted, I'd think it'd be something to think about, of course.

Except that I can't afford it.  Which means I could think about it all I want, but I still can't go.  I'm not going $50,000 into debt when I don't ever intend to use the degree to work full time.  

« Last Edit: March 06, 2006, 03:24:56 AM by MsFish »

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2006, 09:08:17 AM »
It is better than a total rejection though. Now if you could just get the list of people who applied we can scare at least 8 away. I think thats totally possible.

My ninja monkeys are at your disposal for this task.