Author Topic: Catwoman *shudder*  (Read 4307 times)

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Catwoman *shudder*
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2004, 09:34:18 AM »
The movie is almost finished filming.  It comes out next Spring.  The Writer/director are the same guys who did all the Blade movies.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2004, 10:03:15 AM »
I suppose it could be passable then.

Notice this: WB is Time-Warner right? Who also own DC comics (this is why Superman/Batman adventures and Batman Beyond are Kids WB cartoons). So this is why DC Superhero movies are all made by WB. This, I suspect is why they have been so bad in the past. In Marvel's case, it's not owned by a media giant, so there's actual competition for their titles. That's why Blade and Spider-Man and X-Men and Hulk are made by different companies (New Line, Sony/Columbia, Fox, and Universal, respectively) and turned out so well. Of course, you still get a few duds like Daredevil (but come on, it was at LEAST as good as Batman 2), but on the whole competition has been good for Marvel. But the last several DC movies like Catwoman, Batman Forever, and Steel (anyone remember Steel? Yeah, I thought so) have been crappers.

I realize there's a lot left unexplained by this theory, and it's just in progress, but I think I see a connection. AOL KILLS EVERYTHING IT TOUCHES! (no, not that, AOL came in AFTER the crappy movies come out).

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2004, 12:40:47 PM »
Is this suppose to be a younger Batman?  Cause when I see Bale, I still see a young newspaper-selling kid who just wants to be loved.  

That and Sgt. Gordon also looks younger than the other movies.
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2004, 07:51:43 PM »
Yes this is a younger batman, it's called Batman Begins.  And as you can probaly derive from that title its about Bruce Wayne becomeing batman.  The villians are Scarecrow and Rash al Ghoul.

Your argument about WB keeping everything inhouse has a lot of merits, but I'm not going to completly dismiss they're ability to make a good superhero movie.  They did make the first 3 Superman and the first 2 batman movies.  Also DC has had a lot more success then marvel when it comes to the Animation end of things.  But WB has Bruce Timm and marvel dosen't.

Oh, and SE don't insult Batman 2.  That was the best one.  Daredevil was probaly as good as batman 3.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2004, 07:51:58 PM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2004, 08:11:36 PM »
Hmmm, so Alfred never really ages eh?
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2004, 08:35:52 PM »
Man, Gary Oldman as Gordon looks awesome. But I suppose that's to be expected from Oldman by now.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2004, 09:33:10 PM »
I'm sorry. Batman 2 was ... passable. Brillaint compared to later installments in the series. we can quibble over whethter DD was better or worse, but as mediocre as it was as well, it blew Batman Forever out of the water.

As for WB being CAPABLE of a good movie, I think the CAN, sure. But WILL they? I dunno. I think their DC comics movie making decisions have been "hey, let's make one. you, over there, go direct a movie." If they stop to try and do a decent job, they can pull it off. but I'm not convinced they will do that very often.

ANd, incidentally, WB distributed, but did not produce Superman or Superman III. They did do Superman II and IV, but as we all know, both III and IV were terrible movies. which means on their established superhero movie production record, they are at best 3 out of 8 (counting the first two batman movies as good). Not exactly good odds.