Author Topic: Deep Space 9 Finale (Spoilers)  (Read 1067 times)

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
Deep Space 9 Finale (Spoilers)
« on: August 07, 2004, 07:43:05 PM »
Well, that's that show watched.

The very last episode was both good and bad... while the battle sequences rocked, and the dominion war was brought to a satisfying end, the whole Pah Wraith's thing could happily have been left out. I really didn't like that. It reminded me too much of fantasy novels. The entire episode, tbh, suffered from a feeling of 'must get this done, must finish it all'. With plot elements like Bajor's acceptance into the Federation left out, and a ROTK style parade of goodbye sequences. The Executive Producer, Rich Berman, said on the special features that they could really have done with another 5 episodes to really wrap it up.

Benjamin Sisko's ending was another thing I did not like. Seems a poor deal for Cassidy. Apart from that, I think they did the right thing by splitting everyone up - that was a good way to end it on the right, poignant, note. Garak could have done with another 2 minutes of screen time to show what actually became of him. And making Rom the grand nagus, ehhh, I didn't like that. Quark, in the words of his actor, should and will always be behind that bar, but the whole turning Ferenginar into even more 21st century capatalism was a bit forced.

I would just like to make it clear that Ezri Dax was much cuter than Jadsia Dax. But I just like short women I guess. I really liked the episodes where she hunted down the murderer and when she went home to her family.

And Fell, you were right. It really is such a funny show in the last 2 seasons, but only when it wants to be.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Deep Space 9 Finale (Spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2004, 08:05:42 PM »
I really liked teh fact that they took some time after the climax to wrap everything up; yes, 5 more episodes of wrap-up would have been nice, but at least we had something. TNG's final episode was awesome, but didn't have nearly the level of attention for its characters (of course, neither did the series as a whole).

I don't know about cuter, but Ezri was far more...accessible than Jadzia, which I suppose makes her cuter. In one season I feel like I got to know Ezri so much better than six seasons with Jadzia, so there's a lot of attachment there.

By the way, I borrowed Tage's DS9 DVDs and started watching them, and my non-trekkie wife happened to watch a few minutes of the pilot over my shoulder and was immediately hooked. Now she insists on watching them all with me, and loves the show. Imagine how much more she'll love it when we get to the third season, and the show actually gets good.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2004, 12:03:06 AM by Fellfrosch »
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2004, 08:18:49 PM »
Yes... Jadsia was a bit, uhm, distant. Sabbid (Bashir's actor) says that he always regarded Ezri as a rocker chick, travelling from bar to bar on a bike. That was the mental image he had of Ezri's character.

Oh yeah, season 3 is when the show really starts kicking off. It's also when Avery Brooks loses the dorky haircut. Season 4 was a bit average, season 5 was pretty good, and the last 2 were superb. They were really good as a war series - a lot of violence and war episodes, but enough fun episodes on the station that you didn't start to wallow in gore.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2004, 09:23:15 PM »
my non-trekkie wife happened to watch a few minutes of the pilot over my shoudler and was immediately hooked. Now she insists on watching them all with me, and loves the show. Imagine how much more she'll love it when we get to teh thirs season, and the show actually gets good.

I am jealous. I am sure if I could get my hands on a few sets J.T. would like them but those are expensive.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan