Author Topic: Spidey 2 *spoilers*  (Read 5318 times)

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Spidey 2 *spoilers*
« on: June 30, 2004, 04:47:26 PM »
edit by SE: A nonspoiler thread can be found here. The TWG review of the movie can be found here.

So I just got back from seeing Spider-Man 2. It was good. I liked how it progressed the over-arching story rather than it just being Spidey meets another one of his villians.

So they have Doc Connors and Jon Jameson in this one. And a very obvioud allussion to Hobgoblin being the next villian in the next film.

I liked the 1960 animated series theme song making it's way into the movie in a not so subtle way.

I'm also glad that Stan Lee is being regulated to cameos, because he just can't act.

And the recap of the first movie done by Alex Ross is just awesome.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2004, 01:52:30 PM by SaintEhlers »
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Spidey 2 *spoilers*
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2004, 05:23:54 PM »
sigh.
I'm losing geek cred over this one. I can't go till tomorrow night.

I guess that means I'm organizing contacts and writing reviews tonight. *IF* the kids let me.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2004, 06:42:46 PM »
Yes 42, it was great. I went to the midnight show last night. Had to sit in the front though since my friends are a tad dumb when it comes to thinking about getting to a movie a bit earlier when its such a big one as Spider-Man 2. Nonetheless!

Campbell's cameo was rather humorous. And seeing his gigantic face on the screen also made me a bit giddy.

***Really Big Freaking Spoiler***

The only thing I didn't like so much was that they glossed over fancifully why Parker was losing his powers. I really didn't like the way that was done. I understand that it was because he was focusing too much on trying to be a better person as Parker, and just idling Spidey.

J Johan Jameson is even better in this one. And also how it would seem that Peter is the bigger ladies man than he thinks. Oh-la-la.

His landlord as well, those scenes are quite the humorfulled.

I loved how they showed the Green Goblins upgraded flyer as well as the little room filled with his arsenal.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2004, 04:09:20 AM »
So, comic book geeks, answer a question for me.  Where in the books does MJ find out Peter is Spiderman?  I wasn't expecting it in movie two, but I hear that the storylines have stayed pretty close to the comic books.  
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2004, 07:24:52 AM »
well, the movie really hasn't stayed all that faithful. At least, not hte first one

In the comics, Peter doesn't meet MJ for years after he graduates. Gwen Stacy is his gf in HS, and it's Gwen that is thrown from the bridge (she dies, incidentally, when spidey catches her but she stops too fast and her back breaks). Peter doesn't even want to MEET MJ, becuase her mom and Aunt May are trying to set them up adn... well... he doesn't want to be set up with someone his Aunt May would pick.

So in regards to his relationship with MJ, at least, the movie has been quite liberal. Peter does tell her before they're married, and they break up for a bit because of it.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2004, 01:09:07 PM »
I hope they through out the whole clone crap.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2004, 01:13:26 PM »
Them's fightin' words! Some of the best stories came out of the clone saga.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2004, 01:49:50 PM »
Let's just chalk that one up to, "I can believe you got bitten by a radioactive spider, but making up facts about how cloning works ticks me off."
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2004, 02:09:18 PM »
oh come on. THis is a world where a gamma-bomb explosion turns you into a bohemoth of unimaginal strength. A world where flying in space can turn you into a human flame.

And the ideas came up 20 years ago, when not so much was generally known about cloning. I find that complaint unfair.

Brenna

• Level 14
  • Hey! Where'd the world go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2004, 02:23:39 PM »
I understand that cloning wasn't understood back then, but it would look a bit weird if they used the exact same ideas now for the movie (if they decide to use that aspect at some point)--I mean, they changed it so that Peter was bitten by a genetically engineered/altered spider in the movies, instead of a radioactive one. Why not update the science of cloning too?

Spiderman 2, by the way, was an excellent movie.  I liked it *much* better than the first one. I thought Doc Ock was a great character, and the actor did a fantastic job.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2004, 02:31:08 PM »
well of course they'll update some of the science. But how does that preclude using the clone saga? Make it like real cloning, but incubate them in some techno-uterus instead, and make up something about rapid aging. There. All you need to do the clone saga. You can still have clone instability and everything (due to the rapid aging bit). The only thing you have to leave out is Ben Reilly dissolving to nothing in Peter's arms.

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2004, 04:18:09 PM »
Just saw it today.  I agree, I like it a lot more than the first (mostly cause it goes into how being Spiderman is ruining Peter's life - and his decisions about that.)  Way cool show, I think I'll see it again and try to catch a little more.  (Where was Stan Lee?)  There was one scene that I thought was too much, though.

**Spoilers**

When Doc Oc is in the hospital room and his extra arms start going crazy, I think I lasted WAY too long.  For a while, I thought I was in some B-movie horror show with all the saws and people flying everywhere.  The worst was the girl clawing the ground with her fingernails.  It was just too . . . cheesy.  They needed to tone that part down.
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2004, 05:20:20 PM »
You know, Tek, I was thinking the exact same thing during that part.  In fact, it could have ALL been cut, and it would have been more dramatic.  We see the arms start moving, then seem Dr. Oct stumble out of the building, a bit bloodied and dazed, then have him look at his arms and think 'What have I done?'

They way they did it turned out to be my least favorite part of the movie.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2004, 11:42:38 PM »
I hate to agree with youse on that one, but I too thought that scene was a bit much. Of course, this is being directed by the guy who made the Evil Dead movies and such. And Stan Lee is in the part where the train is about to fall of the track, if I'm correct. And if you miss Bruce Campbell, well then... you weren't really watching the movie were you. Wink win, nudge nudge, know what I mean, say no more.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2004, 02:39:13 AM »
That man needs to stop doing cameos and hurry up and make the next Evil Dead movie.

Honestly, with the mainstreaming of fantasy, I'll bet they could pull off a really cool, amusing 'Undead Armies' comedy that would be a financial sucess.