Author Topic: Revenge of the Sith  (Read 7166 times)

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
Re: Revenge of the Sith
« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2004, 12:50:39 PM »
The craft at the end looks like an early proto-type of an x-wing. Not sure if anyone's pointed that out yet.

My reaction to the trailer: Ok, it's going to be pretty cool, there will be some awesome fight scenes, but I feel like the story is going to be a crappy repeat of the first two. And even more uncomfortable with the Anakin/Amedala relationship. Conflicts that are going to have to be resolved will be done so with such unappeal that it may feel rather flakey. I know lots of youse guys here are big fans and all, but I'm letting myself get hyped now, so that in a few minutes I can bring myself back down.

These and other opinions are just that, and mean nothing to anyone else other than the sole expressionier of those opinions. So, take no heed when reading them. I have no basis of knowledge.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2004, 01:03:04 PM »
Yeah, the Anakin/Amidala thing is my biggest problem too.  I don't think that they've really shown any reason why she should like him--you're just supposed to accept it.  Their romance seems forced and unrealistic.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2004, 01:20:26 PM »
uhm... this is not disagreement, but wonder. What WOULD it take to make them like each other?

See, most of my "I like her" or even "I love her" sorts of feelings have come from a basis of not really knowing anything about the girl. I just saw her, I talked with her a couple times, and she seems cute and/or cool. People go into deep relationships for this sort of thing, ESPECIALLY with the wrong person. So, to me, the dialog was poor at best, the directing was iffy, and the acting very blah, but the concept seems fine enough.

They hung out. Travelled across the galaxy (twice) together and then stayed for several days at least (possibly weeks) in a location where they didn't do anything but have leisure time. She saw him exposed emotionally over his mother, she felt his attraction to him. These things may not be everything it takes to form a solid relationship, but let's face it: these people aren't having a stable relationship in the long term. He's gone Jedi-ing most of the time and fighting wars. She runs her political office. They keep things secret and that sense of defying authority can go a long way to holding people together when they would other wise break up.

So I just wonder, what else do you think it would take?

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2004, 01:27:07 PM »
I just want to be incredibly pessimistic about this movie is all. Everyone could blow up at one point or another, and I'd still try to draw something bad out of that. =P
                William S. Burroughs

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2004, 04:16:41 PM »
A poor foundation for the Anakin/Padme relationship is a problem of the second movie, no the third--by the time the movie starts they're already married and, I expect, starting to drift apart.

And Dex, I really don't think the bug/robot things are being ridden by Geonosians. I could be wrong, of course, but it doesn't look like they're on Geonosia and I can't find any other hints that would lead to that conclusion.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 04:17:54 PM by Fellfrosch »
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2004, 04:34:04 PM »
Are you dropping letters again? Because it changes the whole sense of your post if that "no" is really supposed to be "not"
It also sounds like you can't figure out what your opinion is if you meant "no"

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 10, 2004, 05:27:16 PM »
uhm... this is not disagreement, but wonder. What WOULD it take to make them like each other?

See, most of my "I like her" or even "I love her" sorts of feelings have come from a basis of not really knowing anything about the girl. I just saw her, I talked with her a couple times, and she seems cute and/or cool. People go into deep relationships for this sort of thing, ESPECIALLY with the wrong person. So, to me, the dialog was poor at best, the directing was iffy, and the acting very blah, but the concept seems fine enough.

They hung out. Travelled across the galaxy (twice) together and then stayed for several days at least (possibly weeks) in a location where they didn't do anything but have leisure time. She saw him exposed emotionally over his mother, she felt his attraction to him. These things may not be everything it takes to form a solid relationship, but let's face it: these people aren't having a stable relationship in the long term. He's gone Jedi-ing most of the time and fighting wars. She runs her political office. They keep things secret and that sense of defying authority can go a long way to holding people together when they would other wise break up.

So I just wonder, what else do you think it would take?

Forgive me but it would take Anakin having some problem with going to the dark-side.  As far as I could tell from the second movie, as soon as Obi Wan chose to teach him Anakin hopped on a toboggan down the slippery slope.  He's portrayed as a violent, self-absorbed, jerk, beginning to end.  Even all the things you talk about, long periods together, etc... would lead Amidala to harbor a growing dislike if not outright hatred for the little twerp rather than Luuuuuuv.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 10, 2004, 06:06:51 PM »
Nah... good girls always date the bad boys.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #38 on: November 10, 2004, 06:08:49 PM »
So, is it vice versa then too Jeffe? Kind of feels like it.
                William S. Burroughs

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2004, 06:28:07 PM »
yeah, skar, I think you vastly misinterpret what happens in the real world in terms of what girls are attracted to.

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2004, 06:30:19 PM »
Nah... good girls always date the bad boys.

Only if they have some redeeming quality that said good girl thinks she can foster.

Show me a redeeming quality in Lucas's Anakin.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Skar

• Level 54
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2004, 06:34:46 PM »
yeah, skar, I think you vastly misinterpret what happens in the real world in terms of what girls are attracted to.

Maybe so.  I'm familiar with the good girls falling for the bad boys syndrome though, and, unless I -am- wildly mistaken, the bad boys are usually at least cool.  Being a whiny baby is never cool, even if you're a whiny baby with force powers.

I simply didn't buy it, at all.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 06:35:31 PM by Skar »

-Fellfrosch

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2004, 06:39:07 PM »
More like a whiney cry-baby.
                William S. Burroughs

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2004, 08:13:29 PM »
But he's got l33t Jedi skilz that automatically makes him cool. And anyway he doesnt whine too much around her. Plus she remembers the sweet kid from episode 1, so thats where she sees the "redeeming quality"

Or maybe the making out is pretty good, who knows with girls.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• Level 57
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2004, 08:25:28 PM »
What's odd is that Anakin seems to have grown faster than Padame. Is that some sort of Jedi mind trick?
                William S. Burroughs