Author Topic: Prisoner of Azkaban *spoilers*  (Read 2057 times)

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Prisoner of Azkaban *spoilers*
« on: June 07, 2004, 11:12:07 PM »
So I figured someone should start a thread about this. If only to keep the forum "trendy." Or something?

Actually, I saw the movie this morning and I can say that I'm impressed. The film was a lot more grown up than the previous two HP films. The lens filters, screen wipes, acting, sound effects, and themes were just  more sophisticated than what you usually see in a "childrens" movie.

I really enjoyed all the references to time and aging. There's kind of a duality between certain characters who are very in the moment (Uncle Vernon, Malfoy) and others who seem to have a larger perspective on things (Dumbledore, Harry).

I liked how you can hear a clock ticking in the background up to the point where Buckbeak "dies."

Also, all the characters seem to have more depth to them. I almost felt sorry for Uncle Vernon in this movie. The Minister of Magic was just slimy. Lupin, Black and Petergrew were great together.

Anyone else seen this yet?
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
Re: Prisoner of Azkaban *spoilers*
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 10:39:41 AM »
I saw it and loved it.  The first two movies seemed to be content with being companions to the books, but this one wanted to be a good movie in and of itself.

Emma Thompson was great (but she's great in everything), as was Gary Oldman.  Lupin was good too -- does anyone know what else that actor has been in?
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 10:54:41 AM »
Emma Thompson was just brilliant.

Lupin (DAVID THEWLIS) was in Seven Years in Tibet.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2004, 11:26:40 AM »
I haven't seen it yet, but I'm hearing mixed reviews from the children's lit crowd. I'm actually pleased to hear them, because the ones who say they didn't like it are the ones who liked the first two *because* they were so close to the books.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Onion of Death

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2004, 12:59:17 PM »
The movie was really good. My only complaint was that it seemed to rush through the scenes, as if they were trying to keep the movie under two and a half hours. I would have liked a bit more of the important dialogue from the books to show up, because anyone who hasn't read them would be quite lost.
Time Jesum Transeuntum Et Non Riverentum.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2004, 01:22:45 PM »
I've heard people make that complaint and I think it's ridiculous.  If you've seen the first two movies (and never read the books), then you should be fine watching the third.  If you haven't read the books or watched the first two movies, then you have no right to complain about not understanding things -- it's the THIRD movie in a series, after all.  It's not supposed to be a completely self-contained story.

www.robisonwells.com

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2004, 01:59:39 PM »
See, what I like about the third film is that it's not just a reading of the book with special effects.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2004, 03:11:27 PM »
I agree.  I've heard a lot of complaints about the movie, saying that they left out stuff like Wood winning the Quidditch cup, deeper explanation about Mooney, Padfoot, Wormtail, and Prongs, lots of things at Hogsmeade, and more stuff about the Weasley Twins-- but I'm glad it wasn't all there.  That stuff works in a book, but it would have just bogged down a movie.  It was already 2 1/2 hours long.

www.robisonwells.com

Onion of Death

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2004, 06:01:12 PM »
Don't get me wrong, I thought it was great, but I think they could have made it better. I like long movies.

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2004, 06:21:08 PM »
What would you have added?  Keep in mind that movies can only be so long before they have a hard time turning a profit.

www.robisonwells.com

Onion of Death

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2004, 06:41:58 PM »
I would have had Peeves throughout the series. To me it just seemed like some of the important dialogue/scenes were missing, I can't give exact details because I haven't read the book in a while. I'll get to work on it and figure out what it is that bugged me by not being there later.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2004, 12:27:31 AM »
So I'm finally seeing this, right now. So far so good. I'm really liking the feel of it much more than the previous movies.

I've been trying to figure out who the conductor on the Knight Bus reminded me of, and then I realized--he's Gustave from Ever After.

I agree on Emma Thompson--she's really great. I also like the guy who plays Prof. what's-his-name, the werewolf. I don't remember seeing him in anything else.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2004, 01:42:00 AM by norroway »
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2004, 10:58:38 PM »
Lupin.  With a name like that how can you forget he was the werewolf?
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2004, 11:07:11 PM »
I remembered it later, but I was too lazy to come back and fix it.

Oldie Black Witch

• Level 19
  • Speaker of Undead Languages
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2004, 02:26:42 PM »
Love this movie. John Williams did a fantastic job on the soundtrack. One whole song (the music where Harry and Hermione go back in time) was done to the rhythm of a stopwatch. Talk about an unforgiving metronome!

The cinematography was incredible. The wardrobe in the boggart scene has mirrors and the camera approaches the wardrobe with its reflection of the kids--blending into the reflection and actually facing the kids not once but twice! There are also a few other carefully arranged scenes, several in the time period when Harry and Hermione go back where little things are blocking the view (the first time 'round) of seeing the second Harry and Hermione. Like when Hermione is threatening Malfoy with her wand. Her hair is just blown back enough to cover the view to the entrance to the castle where the second Harry and Hermione are watching. And the scene when Mr. Weasley is warning Harry about Sirius Black, and off on the left side of the screen is his Wanted poster with him screaming in their direction.

My only complaint is the fact that they don't have Lupin acknowledge how he found out that Harry's "just a spare bit of parchment" is a map. All it would have taken is just one line saying something like "yes, I know it's a map . . . I've seen it before" or something like it. It just seemed like the largest leap in logic for him to know what it is without acknowledging how he knew.

I'm such a geek. I actually waited in line to get my copy on Monday night.