Author Topic: The Incredibles  (Read 5317 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: The Incredibles
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2004, 04:55:33 AM »
Well...this was the first time I mentioned her name in a thread, but...yeah, see the other thread. >_>;;;
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2004, 06:11:36 PM »
I went out and saw this one by myself. It was pretty good. I felt that Violet's character was kind of lacking. Sure she had her moments, but... what? And I wanted more supers! Why Syndrome, why have you killed so many!?
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2004, 10:13:58 PM »
Hm, I thought Violet was just fine...had that whole insecure angsty teen thing going, and once she accepted herself and proved her usefulness she started actually smiling. I remarked on her first smile when I saw it.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2004, 05:57:22 PM »
I'm finally going to see it tonight! Yay!
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2004, 07:47:01 PM »
Wahoo! My mom is coming up to spend the night on 12/2 to watch Mathias (he'll be sleeping), so my husband and I can catch this movie.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2004, 10:10:51 PM »
Never wear a cape, that's what I've learned today. Great movie. I was laughing the whole way through. It took me forever to realize who was doing Mr. Incredible's voice. The Coach himself, Craig T. Nelson. I think he did a great job. The best voice would have to be Edna, though.

So many surprises. I went in not really knowing what the plot would be, so I was pretty much surprised at every turn.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2004, 04:24:57 AM »
You know this might go in the thread about movie critics and how worthless they are, but no....

Incredibles has 96% on Rotten Tomatoes. Which is pretty good.  But that still means there were 7 people who didn't like it.  Which boggles me.  I mean you read  a review like "An unfortunate use of Pixar magic to tell a tired story in a typical world," and I think "Did they see the same movie that I did?"
« Last Edit: November 13, 2004, 04:25:12 AM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2004, 04:08:53 PM »
So four critics disagreeing with you means that all critics are worthless?

(Sorry, but I know how much you love semantic dissections of exaggeration and sarcasm.)
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2004, 04:36:08 PM »
No.

*sets Fellfrosch on fire*

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2004, 05:04:12 PM »
you know, there were people who didn't like The Fellowship of the Rings as well. Some on our own site. People just ahve differnet opinions.

Of course, in teh case of The Fellowship of the Rings and teh Incredibles, if they don't like them they're WRONG. but still.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2004, 07:58:31 PM »
Technically I didn't say they were wrong. I can't believe they saw the same movie that I did.  I postulate that their theater was near some sort of vortex and they  slipped into a parallel universe in which the movie sucked.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2004, 08:21:10 PM »
Well there are lots of generic things in the movie, it's not that original.  It's just well done.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2004, 09:31:21 PM »
and you say Dreamworks is a better studio? sorry, that movie was pretty brilliant. They had some really creative uses of powers and ideas. No, it wasn't the most original movie ever. If it was, it wouldn't be a superhero movie. But it still held it's own against many other movies.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2004, 10:33:13 PM »
I finally saw this the other night and came out of the theatre with a big smile on my face.  I loved every minute of it.  Sure, it starts out slow, but when the action hits, it hits hard.  Very impressed.  Makes me want to try out CoH now...

And my finace and I had the theme played at the end of the movie in our heads all night.

EUOL

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 33
  • Mr. Prolific [tm]
    • View Profile
    • Brandon Sanderson dot com
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2004, 07:39:30 PM »
If it was, it wouldn't be a superhero movie.

Sorry, I disagree.  One of the things I LIKE about superhero movies is their originality.  Sure, they follow a common plot structure.  However, the powers, the way they use them, the visuals, the personalities, the backstories--these are generally creative and interesting.  Original, if you will.

I loved THE INCREDIBLES.  However, I'll admit that I was disappointed that the powers presented were all so generic.

You could make that same comment about fantasy.  "If it were original, it wouldn't be fantasy.'  Just because a lot of the genre is repetitive doesn't mean it all has to be.
http://www.BrandonSanderson.com

"Technically, I don't even have a brain."--Fellfrosch