Author Topic: Stargate  (Read 1659 times)

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Stargate
« on: December 15, 2004, 09:34:09 PM »
So, I'm wondering if anyone else thinks that Stargate is starting to become the next big sf franchise. Stargate SG1 is starting production on it's ninth season. Course they may have lost MacGuyver, but are gaining Ben Browder from Farscape.

Then there is Stargate: Atlantis which isn't too bad.

So what else could they do with it? Or is it on its death-bed?
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
Re: Stargate
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2004, 09:42:14 PM »
I never liked Stargate, at least the movie because everyone was so sterotypical, the scientist was nerdy the Colonel was blood thirsty. In a movie where only a few characters are able to make themselves understood  its important that you have complexity and depth in the characters.

I havent really seen the show, except for an episode here and there and to be honest it reminds me of Trek w/o ships. Still it is taking off because its on against ... nothing sci-fi wise at least.

Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2004, 12:48:46 AM »
I've only watched a few shows myself. It's good, but I haven't really gotten into it. So I'm kind surprised to see it going into it's ninth season and having a spin-off series.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2004, 12:59:22 AM »
Well its first five or so were backed by showtime when it was trying to compete with HBO so Im not sure if they count.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2004, 09:43:18 AM »
yeah, but if it continues 4 after that, you ahve to acknowledge it.

I think you've under-rated the characters, Jeffe, and unfairly flattened their descriptions. If you want to give Russel's character a single trait, it's duty and/or grief (see, still can't narrow it down to one). It's certainly not bloodthirsty. His responsibility to set off the bomb didn't require anyone's death, per se, and it seems clear he'd prefer it if everyone else just stayed away from weapons. He has mixed motivations and they play into his behavior and the plot.

Same with the scientist. Sure he's nerdy, but seriously, most of them are. But he's also duplicitous, ambitious, and adheres to a complex system of ethics. That makes him conflicted in some spots and it's interesting to see how he's treated and how he reacts.

Now, you don't have to like the movie. I'm not going to be able to change your opinion on that. I don't want to. I just want to point out that your charges of two-dimensionality show a lack of attention to watching the movie.

As for the show, it's like indy-science fiction. It's actually decently made. I've enjoyed the shows I've watched, and when my free time for a while coincided with the broadcasts, I watched it. HOwever, I don't make time to watch it and I don't seek out the recordings -- but the only shows I actually rent or want to own are Smallville and 24 (oh, and SGC2C) -- so that doesn't say much. My brother disagrees. He owns at least one season on DVD and he's making his wife watch it with him. They really enjoy it. I think it shows a great deal of imagination and genre-awareness (there's an ep where one technicion idolizes the SG team, and he's at odds with his co-worker who, in his own words, "worships at the alter of  Roddenberry"). It also shows some pretty average plotting and some reliance on standby SF ideas, but that's only a neutral observation, not necessarily a criticism. On the whole, I think it's better than the average SF show (though I'm mad that they won't respond to requests for a review copy of the RPG).

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2004, 01:30:56 PM »
Woah woah woah, what's this about Ben Browder going to Stargate? He's joining the SG1 team? Do you have any links or anything?
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2004, 01:56:13 PM »

Rican

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 0
  • What the hell am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2004, 03:25:55 PM »
Does anyone known why MacGuyver is leaving the show?  

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2004, 12:42:14 AM »
It looks like a contract issues from what I've gathered, but I'm not entirely sure. It could be a decision on the part of the producers.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2004, 01:05:22 AM »
Well, initially General Hammond left, and MacGuyver (for lack of mind right now I can't remember his characters name) was promoted to General of SGC. He was then unable to go on missions with SG-1, so I would guess it was a step in the right direction. Not entirely sure whats happening.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2004, 03:16:10 AM »
When I was down under I saw the last few episodes of the seventh season.  I wasn't particularly impressed, but neither did I turn the channel.

Sure, give me Firefly/Buffy/Angel over it any day, but it's certainly not bad.

The Army needs to let MacGuyver grow his mullet back.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2004, 11:44:16 AM »
I've never been able to watch an entire episode of that show, though Iv'e tried many times. I just can't get into the characters or the setting. To each his own, I guess.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2004, 03:53:30 PM »
One of my friends says that she's gonna get me addicted to Stargate.  ;D  She has the entire first season on DVD and we're gonna spend an entire day watching as many episodes as we can.  

Now that Ben Browder is going to be on it, I plan on catching up on episodes so I can see him on it.
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring