Author Topic: SciFi winter season  (Read 4221 times)

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: SciFi winter season
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2004, 09:11:56 PM »
Usually, if the author isn't willing to write the screenplay her/himself, then it's pretty hard to claims rights. Often the screenplay rights are sold at time of publication with larger publishers. Some publishers claim the movie rights in the fine print of their contracts.

And even if the author never sells the rights, well film isn't the same medium as novels, and it gets difficult to enforce laws between mediums. The product just isn't the same though the ideas may be simular.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2004, 09:47:53 AM »
It raises some interesting questions though. Is author creative control good or bad? I suspect probably the reason for being able to exclude the author from the filmmaking process is not just so the director and producer don't have to deal with another person (though I'm sure that's a major factor in many cases) but because novelists have expertise in a very different artistic presentation than film. Text and visual mediums work differently. What works on paper can often be tedious on film.

I've no specific examples of creator/author input ruining a film adaptation. So perhaps my theory, if correct, is more a fear filmmakers have than an actual reality.

I think, however, that not being able to make the crossover is becomeing less of a problem. Our culture is becoming more deeply grounded in in visual mediums. There is a lot of crossover, in both directions, in writers of comics and writers of novels, for example (Peter David, Neil Gaiman, Kevin J. Anderson, to name just three successful writers of both). One could argue that one reason so many superhero movies were complete crap before the last ten years was that the creators of those comics had no input to the films. Marvel's turned that around. DC not so much and DC films are starting to suck worse. Comics are already a visual medium though, so this may be less of a problem. There are differences one has to be aware of however. A comic can have absolutely no text and still be a great story. These days, a completely silent movie would be extremely difficult to pull off.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2004, 04:14:25 PM »
I dont know, one could also argue that the reason they suck is that filmmakers care more about name recognition (and the bodies that brings in) and less about plot and story resulting in an overall schlocky idiotic farce. The result being a big bang opening weekend followed by a quiet closing a few weeks later.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2004, 04:16:16 PM »
Oh, i'm not trying to be exclusive in my readings of it. I'm sure there are several reasons.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2004, 03:22:29 AM »
Just saw a clip of earthsea on the daily show and it looks like they filmed it with a personal camcorder from the 80s.  It looked and sounded horrible, like it was a public access show.  Hopefuly it was just a bad copy of a clip or something because it was just pathetic.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2004, 05:47:53 AM »
Well, that old camcorder look has become terribly popular recently. Just think of the Blair Witch Project, the Grudge, Saw, anything by M. Night Shyamalan, and even the most recent Harry Potter. It kind of says, "I'm a cool indy film," while at the same time it says, "I'm a film not important enough for a decent budget." It is also getting over-used in the horror genre.

So I'm thinking that the director wanted some kind of dark psychological sub-text for "Earthsea," which is kind of appropriate, yet may just be another one of the huge liberties that the director already seems to be taking.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2004, 07:15:13 AM »
no, I don't think you're getting what I'm saying.  It dosen't look like any of those movies you listed.  It seriously looks like crap, like when you watch I love the 70s and they show old comercials where everything is fuzzy, hard to see and sound horrible.  That's what the clip looked like.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2004, 08:17:20 AM »
watching the trailers and stuff online and from what I've seen on TV, it doesn't look like the cinematography is that bad. In fact it looks like your standard TV glossy stuff.

So I'm thinking what you saw could be a dream sequence or some scene either meant to like that, or the clip was just messed up.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2004, 12:14:16 AM »
Okay, Legends of Earthsea is fairly good. Not great, but good. They did take quite a few liberties with the books, but I think it made for a better story overall. They basicly took the first two books in the series and interwove them in to one story.

The biggest complaint I have against the mini-series is that it lacked flare. Everything was very nice and well done, but nothing ever got intense.

Course, I now think that the Earthsea world would make for a good TV series. Probably not with the same cast or characters, but watching a group of Wizards sail to strange islands having existential conflict would be a break from the hack, slash, and camp dominating the fantasy TV market.

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2004, 04:12:39 PM »
Ursula Le Guin tells the whole story on why she sold the rights:

http://trashotron.com/agony/columns/2004/12-15-04.htm
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2004, 07:19:42 PM »
Wow, that was pretty neat...

I have only recently discovered Agony and now have to give the whole site a through work over.

Interestingly enough I have been aware of Le Guin, for a long long time, and even own an Earthsea book, yet I have never read one. After Strange and Norrell I think I want to start it.

fascinating women.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2004, 07:47:34 PM »
That is interesting. Le Guin has a lot of opinions, which makes her fascinating to listen to her rant.

It seems to me that Le Guin is mostly hurt that the makers of the mini-series chose not to convey many of the concerns and issues that were dear to her when writing the books.

There are a lot of inaccuracies in mini-series when compaired to the books, but that doesn't make the mini-series bad in my opinion. I don't really think that movies and mini-series need to be that faithful to the source material. Partcularly since so much of novel writing doesn't translate well to the screen.

Would the mini-series have been better had Le Guin got her way? Possibly. Her ideas would have granted more style to the mini-series, which it definitely needed.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2004, 08:22:03 PM »
I'm watching the miniseries on Friday, so I'll be able to compare a little better then, but it sounds to me like she's mainly just annoyed that the director made comments that he was matching her vision--and called her by her first name--when he'd never met her. Not so much sour grapes as an excuse to be able to say something about a production she hasn't been pleased with since the LotR screenwriter was dropped. From what she says, though, she felt that her story was more original than the story the miniseries created.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2004, 08:22:54 PM by norroway »
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Dex1138

• Level 8
  • Resident Star Wars Geek
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Page
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2004, 02:38:01 PM »
I haven't watched the series yet, have it stored for spare time.
Having said that, I would have preferred a full-length movie of just Wizard. Probably the first fantasy novel I ever read, it's been a favorite book of mine for quite a long time now.  Not sure what it was but I think some part of me identified with young Ged's (almost) solitary journey.
I have a feeling a lot of what I loved about the first novel is going to be lost due to compressing the books into 4 hours.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2004, 03:14:01 PM by Dex1138 »

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2004, 03:23:20 PM »
Well, the mini-series did well in the ratings game.
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-main.html?2004-12/16/12.00.sfc