Author Topic: Spider-man 2 DVD  (Read 3039 times)

TheWarriorlives

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Spider-man 2 DVD
« on: November 29, 2004, 05:17:51 PM »
Well, it comes out tomorrow. I won't be buying it. But that is because I'm broke.

I got a chance to preview the DVD (thanks Mom!) over Thanksgiving weekend. I love Spider-man, and love what they did with the movie, and I think the DVD is worth being purchased.

I went through the DVD features, and they had a lot of same kind of special features what they had last time. Now I enjoyed the first DVD, and what they put on there, and so I enjoyed this one. I didn't see the summaries of important episodes in the comics in this one, but more a deveopment of Spider-mans character.

I'd definately buy this DVD. The features are more than decent, and the fight between Doc Ock and Spidey on the clock tower is so freaking cool.
Like the man says, the Warrior lives.
And we are not nice people.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Spider-man 2 DVD
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 05:24:29 PM »
it will be mine. Oh yes, it will.

For those of you who can possibly forget, I thought this one walked with the gods. It was a pretty darn good flick.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 08:11:30 PM »
Which I still haven't seen. I'm ashamed to walk around in public.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 01:22:00 AM »
If it helps, Fell, we didn't see it until it hit the dollar theater.  It's excellent, and I totally agree with Saint.  This is one of the best movies ever.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 03:07:17 AM »
Eeeh... I enjoyed it. But it's still got issues.

[EDIT: SE: unless I'm mistaken, I talked about them in the old thread and don't feel like rehashing.]
« Last Edit: December 01, 2004, 04:25:16 AM by OoklaTheMok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 09:00:47 AM »
I agree with Ookla. It is a good movie, but it lacks in parts.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2004, 09:35:57 AM »
you're going to have to be more specific than that. There's no "perfect movie" with no flaws whatsoever. So what issues? And how major?

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2004, 09:04:09 PM »
Like the scene where Doc Oc kills all the nurses and doctors. The cheese factor on that scene is astronomical. It seems like the scene is suppose to be horrific, but it's just campy instead.

And the shot of Spidey being carried over the heads of the subway passengers. I haven't decided if that is suppose to be some creepy symbolism or a just a bad joke.

The director seems to have a problem balancing the comedic elements and the dramatic elements through out the movie. Obviously he didn't completely botch the job because the movie is still enjoyable. Still it shows some filmmaking immaturity.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2004, 09:51:41 AM »
Hrm... I didn't get any of that at all. But I'm a fan of Sam Raimi films. Both situations both felt very Raimi to me, and that's part of what made it great. If anything, the doc ock hospital scene wasn't cheesy, it was over the top in terms if intensity. You weren't bothered by a screaming woman being dragged into darkness? Or a helpless man  having his head crushed while he was slammed into walls? That's pretty grusome, and Raimi didn't back down. If anything, it didn't fit because that level of gore isn't typical spidey material.

The whole film was pretty emotionally charged. Such as when Peter walks away from the man being mugged. I mean, Yipes! can you do that even if you AREN'T spider-man? I thought there was some powerful imagery there.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2004, 12:54:57 PM »
You weren't bothered by a screaming woman being dragged into darkness?

Sorry, when I saw that bit in the theater, most of theater was laughing. It is such a cliche horror trick, regualrly punned in skit comedy like SNL and MAD TV. The biggest problem is that there was no build-up to that sequence. It just kind of started without any forshadowing or at least some creepy music. So yes it is over the top, which makes it campy and chessy and whole lot of other stuff, but not intense.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2004, 01:08:00 PM »
so... for it to be scary... you have to be told it's scary.

I don't think that makes ANY sense.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2004, 04:51:29 PM »
I'm totally with Eric on this.  I keep wanting to make a lengthy and compelling post about comics and archetypes and how things don't have to be realistic, or artsy to be meaningful, but I can't get it to come out right.

Elijah Price could have explained it, but I can't, sorry.

Those scenes that 42 mentions were exactly the REASON that I love this movie.  Those stereotypical/archetypal things that make up our fiction and fantasy world.  
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2004, 05:21:23 PM »
I loved this movie.  One of the best of the year as far as I'm concerned.  I agree with SE completely.

And yes, the hospital scene was classic Raimi  and I was happy to see it shot in that way.  It's a little nod back to his older films,  most of which I love.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2004, 02:55:30 AM »
I finally saw this today, and I liked it a lot. It had the same problems with villain motivation that the first one had, but pulled it off by making all of the characters so human--including the villains--that you cared about them even if you didn't know why they were doing what they were doing.

For the record, I found the hospital scene to be quite horrific, bordering on too-horrific-for-PG-13.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2004, 11:57:29 AM »
wife bought it and we shall see it soon!
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!