Author Topic: Sky Captain and the World of Tommorow *spoilers*  (Read 4675 times)

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Sky Captain and the World of Tommorow *spoilers*
« on: September 17, 2004, 05:25:31 PM »
So after seeing Sky Captain, I'm kind of in a quandry. On one side, it is very technically innovative. Yet, the whole movie feels like I've already seen it. Course, the intent of the film-makers was to create that feeling of familiarity. So I give the filmmakers props for intentionally making a film that feels like I've seen it before, even though I really hadn't seen it before.

Course, normally it is a bad thing to make a film that feels too much like another film. But I think what I enjoyed about this film is that it repeated enjoyable elements from other films. If it repeated something that wasn't all that enjoyable to begin with, then I would have been disappointed.

And I don't think that I can entirely fault a film for repeating something that is enjoyable, entertaining and fun, particularly when they do it well.

Other stuff, I'm glad Angelina Jolie got edited to just a few minutes of screen time. If her character had been a regular character, she would have gotten annoying. Normally, Jolie is inherently annoying, but thanks to the miracle of modern technology, some of her obnoxiousness has been taken out.

I thought Polly Perkins was a great character. She was kind of the Frodo to the Arogorn of Sky Captain.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
Re: Sky Captain and the World of Tommorow *spoiler
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2004, 07:47:22 PM »
I just got back from seeing it, and personally, I loved it. The throwbacks to old 30's and 40's sci-fi were absolutely wonderful. I even like Jolie's character, and I can't stand her as an actress.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • Fell Points: 0
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2004, 11:46:58 PM »
well she wasnt as annoying five years ago when she was filmed for this movie, yes it took five years to do all the CG, but I think it was time well spent. it was an awesome movie and I'd see it again in a heart beat, also I dont know if anyone noticed but there's actually a scene where there in atlantis, when th amphibioius division is fighting, it was really cool to see a sunken city in the background]
Tappin my feet the the beat of original sin.
http://thenauticalcamel.blogspot.com/

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2004, 01:19:51 AM »
I really liked the visuals. Very art deco-ish. The actors didn't interact enough with their environments, though. It got better as the movie went on, but the part where Gwyneth was about to get stepped on... c'mon! Just not believable. The acting seemed like it was trying to be a throwback to the old 40s style, but it ended up just flat. Cary Grant had style, flair--Jude Law kind of got the picture. But Gwyneth is no Rosalind Russell. I was looking forward to the fast talking of His Girl Friday or something like that. The one-liners were clever (especially the last line), but the dialog didn't keep up the whole way through.

I did enjoy it, though. It was funny and beautiful. Favorite line: "Can't we just die for once without all this bickering?"
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2004, 08:52:50 AM »
I really enjoyed the movie. But it's been a treat to try and convince my friend that it actually was a good movie that we saw. He just kept complaining that there weren't any zombies or something else.

I think, 42, that Polly was more the Pippin to my Gandalf analogy than a Frodo to my Aragorn. You know, there but sometimes utterly useless.

I, personally, loved the robots. As well, Dex was my favorite character.

Not too sure if I can really feel a prequel as much as some others can. Seems too much to do a prequel.

To add an endum that I forgot, after the movie I was at my friends house and since he was upset that there were no zombies in the movie I began to eat his brother and him as if I were a zombie. Me and his brother (yes, me) also ate him together like we were both zombies. Although it was fun, my jaw now hurts.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2004, 01:51:33 PM by Gemm »
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Rican

• Level 5
  • What the hell am I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2004, 12:24:01 PM »
I went and saw Sky Captain last night on a date and I loved it. I real did like the throwbacks to old 40's, but through out the whole move when ever the robot begin to attack I thought that the man of steel would come out and save the day.  Other than that the Over all the film was great.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2004, 09:24:45 AM »
welllll

Ok, better than suck. Pretty good, actually. But not amazing. I don't know where that critic was getting "If you don't like Sky Captain than you don't like movies" line. Perhaps he's on Paramount's payroll. It's good, but hardly of that caliber.

THe visuals, pretty good, though at times incomplete. I agree with the assessment that the characters don't always interact with it realistically. Particularly in Nepal. They look like they're running through a studio set. Which is what the actors are doing, but it's hardly convincing that the characters are supposed to be in a snowy wasteland.

And I'm glad you all liked Franky as a character, because that seemed to be the only cahracter. to fair, I sound really harsh with that criticism. Part of the work is that they're capitalizing on heavy stereotyped characterizations. They expect you to already know the character type and build on that. Fair enough. And they stay true to that. the characters are not deep, but they're not meant to be, so it's ok.

They do a really good job hitting all the many types of pulp scenarios traditionally used. They even found a good way to let in dinosaurs. fun fun fun.

Too bad they don't stay true to the realism they develop. For example, If Sky Captain's got a crack army, why are they so crap? i mean, there's NO reason why, if a military outfit sees so many unidentified aircraft coming in so fast they wouldn't scramble at least a small unit of fighters. Just in case. Instead, they sat and waited for them to show up and shoot all their planes there on the airfield. Why? They could have still gotten the effect they wanted by having the good guys fight back

Also, if it's that lead ship that's boosting the signal, why doesn't cap shoot down the other aircraft? And if it's that ship, how can it be the evil robot lady agent?

i think I'm being fair and not just ignoring the genre it's part of. After all, I"m not one to care that they can fly straight to Nepal but they'll run out of feul on the way back, or that they just leave behind their buddy in nepal after it appears he's been betrayed by his own men and they don't know which ones, or that they have tons of ammo, or that they should all have radiation sickness. (though I do wonder why the amphibeous squadron isn't shooting back until the last unit...)

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2004, 09:31:57 AM »
oh, and i liked the music a lot too. May get the soundtrack. Good role playing background.

Dex1138

• Level 8
  • Resident Star Wars Geek
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Page
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2004, 12:41:45 PM »
Loved the movie, was at least everything I was expecting. Could easily have been broken up and shown serial-style. I couldn't help but smile/laugh to myself at some points in the film, such as Franky's kamikaze run. Just really solid pulpy goodness!
It's a great old fashioned adventure flick. Something that should be enjoyed for what it is and not over analyzed.   :P
Wish Dex had been in it more. "Try shaking it!"  
The whole conversation about taking a picture of the space ark was great.
The soundtrack is great also, highly recommend it. It's very John Williams-esque.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2004, 12:55:29 PM by Dex1138 »

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2004, 01:18:46 PM »
see, I don't think I overanalyzed. These weren't thinking about it questions I had. These were questions my WIFE came up with, and she doesn't analyze these things at all. It seemed to contradict everything they said that this crack military unit got squished because they were too lazy to take off. And what kind of unit goes into battle with only two shots each, and then hangs around after using their shots and does nothing further?

However, you're right about the pulpy moments. They were good. I just don't think this movie will be worth adding to my library.

Dex1138

• Level 8
  • Resident Star Wars Geek
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Page
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2004, 09:53:52 AM »
I wasn't saying you (or your wife) over anaylzed it, that was a just a general statement. Lots of times I hear people say a movie was bad that I enjoy. Maybe I just have lower standards?  :D
I'm the kind of person who doesn't think "X looks like a good movie", I think "X looks like an entertaining movie." And for me, that's what movies are all about, being entertained. Were the Charlie's Angels films "good"? Not really but they were fun for me.
I tend not to notice where dramatic license is taken (like the pilots not scrambling) unless it's a huge freakin plot hole.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2004, 10:06:52 AM »
well, now we're getting into the debate that EUOL and I like to have. What's "good" in terms of the final production? Even what's "Entertaining" is different. Honestly, something that doesn't make me think or isn't careful about its presentation will always be less entertaining for me than something made by someone who cares about the consequences of the characters actions and the elements he adds.

And come on, you know that it'd be MUCH cooler to have those airplanes up in the air dogfighting the robots. Sure it'd add ten minutes to the movie, but wouldn't you sit through it?

Nicadymus

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2004, 06:57:55 PM »
Gotta agree with SE on the dogfighting here.

I enjoyed the movie as well, but I don't think it will ever reach the "favorite movie list."  It definately had the pulp elements discussed in the other thread, and the CG was decent as well.

I guess I still feel like it was missing something...but I don't think zombies were it.
Boogie woogie woogie!!

Maxwell

• Level 30
  • JewManG!!
    • View Profile
    • why not?
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2004, 09:43:02 PM »
but think about how much that ten minutes of dogfighting would cost to animate. I mean I know it would seem like a drop in the bucket compared to how much the movie cost total, but thats still a lot of money...
Tappin my feet the the beat of original sin.
http://thenauticalcamel.blogspot.com/

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2004, 10:28:13 PM »
I don't think that argument matters much. It would MORE than make up for in cool than it woudl cost