Author Topic: Best and Worst TV SciFi  (Read 2586 times)

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Best and Worst TV SciFi
« on: April 18, 2005, 11:47:45 PM »
http://tv.msn.com/tv/BestWorstSci-Fi

Because I'm feeling a lack of inflamitory discussion on the board.

Is anyone willing to stick up for the Original Battlestar Galactica? Anyone want to trash talk Babylon 5?

Discuss.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Best and Worst TV SciFi
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 03:10:10 AM »
My love for the original Battlestar Galactica runs deep, but most of it is based on Dirk Benedict and the cool robo-monkey dog.

The list seems fine to me, though a little too mired in the "old and venerable" and "new and cool" dichotomy. Was there honestly no good sc-fi between 1970 and 1994?
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 03:18:15 AM »
bidi-bidi-bidi

Buck Rogers won some Emmeys.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 09:05:19 AM »
I feel compelled to stand up for Buck Rogers and Battlestar Galactica. Maybe they're not as shiny as today's stuff, but they pulled you in and held you there. Good enough.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 11:55:10 AM »
The list seems fine to me, though a little too mired in the "old and venerable" and "new and cool" dichotomy. Was there honestly no good sc-fi between 1970 and 1994?

Well, Star Trek: TNG came out then. Which I actually think deserved more credit. Sure it's part of the Star Trek franchise, so it was kind of covered, but it helped to revive SciFi on TV in many ways.

And Buck Rogers...*42 shudders*
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005, 12:12:47 PM »
That's part of my problem. Both TNG and DS9 were better than the original Trek, but the original got the credit because it started the movement. Seems wrong to me, but I suppose that's what you get when you have a list made by one very opinionated sci-fi geek (as if there's any other kind).
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

Jelly_Belly

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Jelly Belly's blog
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2005, 12:17:42 PM »
I really like TNG. I've never been much for the original including the movies. They were all right. The only one I really enjoyed was the one with the whales--mostly cause they loosened up and made it funny instead of really serious all the time. It was very enjoyable. As for TNG--I really liked the characters and how they evolved throughout the series and into the movies. I definitely think that series deserves more credit than the original. It's what got me interested in sci-fi (not that I'm a huge fan, but at least I'm interested).

n8sumsion

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005, 02:45:08 PM »
I have to give a big thumbs up to Buck Rogers, it was a great show in its day. I would never put it on the worst list. I'm still lukewarm on Battlestar. It always felt like Mormons in Space to me and I never really got caught up in it. I still haven't bothered to see any of the new ones.

Frankly, if I were to put shows on the worst list, they would be any Gene Rodenberry non-Trek show. Earth Final Conflict, Andromeda... shudder.

As for the best, Farscape is definitely high up my list. As for Babyon 5... well... I love B5's over-arcing story, the meta-plot of the series. But when you got down to each individual episode, they sometimes fell flat. I suppose I'd keep it on my best list.

I liked the article, but thought it was way too short. I would have liked to have seen at least twice as many shows talked about.

Mistress of Darkness

• Level 37
  • Mama
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2005, 03:18:26 PM »
I have to say Lost in Space was the worst Sci-Fi show I ever saw.
" If i ever need a pen-name I'd choose EUOL, just to confuse everyone. " --Entropy

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2005, 06:08:02 PM »
Did anyone ever watch "Earth 2"? It didn't run for very long, but I liked it. Also, it had Rebecca Gayheart, which is a plus for any show.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2005, 06:13:48 PM »
I did, of course, but you knew that. That had some very cool stuff in it, plus Tim Curry as a recurring villain.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2005, 07:36:33 PM »
What about 'V'? that was a great show.  I'm sure I'd think is was silly now but back when it was on I watched it all the time.

P.S. ST TNG is a horrible show and should have been on the worst list.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2005, 08:55:25 PM »
I also enjoyed TNG from time to time, though I was definitely a very far call from being a Trekkie (or even a regular watcher.)

I haven't watched alot of the older stuff.  I didn't like DS9 nearly as much as TNG.  I couldn't stand the old Star Trek, though.

Maybe I'm just too into modern special effects?
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2005, 11:51:21 PM »
DS9 had better CGI than TNG so that wouldn't really fit.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2005, 12:17:07 AM »
 I couldn't stand the old Star Trek, though.

Maybe I'm just too into modern special effects?

Very possibly.  I really don't enjoy the old episodes as much as a real Trek fan should.  I love the original series paperbacks though.  I always said it was because the acting and special effects were better in the books.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan