Author Topic: Watchmen  (Read 3309 times)

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Watchmen
« on: July 24, 2004, 03:22:50 PM »
Well, it's official, there is a Watchmen movie in the works. The have the guy who penned X2 working on the script right now.

So, opinions?

Personally, I think if that got some older more established actors and really focused on some of the characters, it could be a great movie. Chances are they will kill it by trying to make it into an action flick with old people.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Slant

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
Re: Watchmen
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2004, 04:24:42 PM »
This is like the seventh or eighth time since 1986 that they have tried for a Watchmen film.  It aint official until you see it on the screen.

My vote:  William H. Macy as Rorschach.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2004, 06:50:36 PM »
They need to put Christofer Walken in it as well, just beacsue every movie should have Christofer Walken .
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2004, 08:30:05 PM »
Ok, I have never heard of Watchmen.  Someone give me or point me to a summary?
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2004, 10:47:40 PM »
If you want a very brief, thumbnail idea, go to the International Movie Data Base and look up Watchmen.  It is really hard to understand the entire appeal of Watchmen from just a couple of sentances, though.  I really suggest you go down to any comic book store and ask for the Watchman trade paperback.  It is a sure thing that they will have it.  It is very much worth the price to read it.

Basically, Watchmen is what superhero comics SHOULD be.
"If you're going to shoot, then shoot; don't talk!"  -Tuco: The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2004, 11:39:27 PM »
well I looked at the IMDB thing.  Alternatively, I could stick with my Hellboy plan, which is to go to the movie knowing as little about it as possible so I can enjoy seeing a movie where I don't know what's going to happen.

:)
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Slant

• Level 13
  • Let's hunt some orc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2004, 01:50:22 AM »
Actually, there is a lot of merit to that approach......

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2004, 11:11:01 AM »
I remember seeing my War & Lit teacher using a big ole Watchmen book in his Comics as Literature course. Guess I'll be picking that one up sometime.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2004, 06:06:58 PM »
Ok, Watchmen is amazing

But saying that Watchmen is superheroes as the SHOULD be is missing the point, I think. Watchmen is what Superheroes would have been had they not jumped over most laws of physics (only one character is actually super-powered) and it took place in 1980's cold war.

It's more about what WE would do if Superheroes were among us, and it's done better than say, Marvel's takes on it.

Anyway, I'd see a movie adaptation, but only if it were faithful. I don't think many changes to it would be appropriate. In fact, now that I think about it, I don't know that I"m interested in an adaptation. there was too much comic industry internal reference and usage of the actual format for me to be particularly interested in a film. I'll just re-read the book. THat's not to say an adaptation COULDN'T be done well, but I see the newspaper stand scenes being extremely boring on screen, and the flashbacks being confusing.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2004, 01:16:56 AM »
See, I actually think they could clarify some things in a film format. Using different lens filters could help keep the different eras straight. Some good actors could add a lot, particularly in the way of inflection, to the newspaper scenes. And some good montages to depict the newspaper clipping and journal entries.

Course this leads me to the conclusion that Watchmen could only be done well if it were done as a in-depth prestige film that show-cases a lot of talent rather than a summer action/thriller flick. My pick for director would be M. Night Shyamalan. He would definitely do it justice.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2004, 06:06:04 AM »
My personal opinion is that Watchmen was great until it ended, at which point it completely sucked. That was the dumbest ending I've ever read in, well, just about anything--it didn't conclude or resolve or pay off anything, it just stopped. Right up to the last chapter, though, it was exceptionally well-done.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2004, 07:33:27 AM »
I agree, 42. if someone can do it justice, it's Shyamalan.

I disagree with you Fell. Of course they don't resolve anything. They're not supposed to. It's life. It's about the compromises REAL people have to make that Superheroes appear to be immune to.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2004, 11:19:26 PM »
But they didn't even make compromises--they just stopped. It didn't work for me at all.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2004, 08:02:05 AM »
hrm... I disagree with that assessment of the ending. Some of them have decided to become heroes again, they have to choose if they allow the brainy guy to do his thing, etc.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2004, 10:53:43 PM »
Well, Watchmen has a director now, again. Same guy who directed Bourne Supremacy.

Still not a garantee, but it is one step closer to actually happening.