Author Topic: Ice Age 2 Teaser  (Read 7017 times)

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
Re: Ice Age 2 Teaser
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2005, 02:41:30 PM »
Huh.

Either way, among people I know, those that played many of the FF games seemed to like it less.  Those who were not initially FF fans tended to like it more.

The only FF game I've spent much time on was FF1, which I played to completion, so I place myself in the latter category.  Final Fantasy was nothing like FF1.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Legion

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I am many within one
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2005, 02:54:43 PM »
I was a big FF fan till about FF8 for the PS....now there games for the must part suck, thats for a different thread.  FF movie was a great visual movie, and I enjoyed the rest of the movie to...however the new one looks like it is going to be amost a complete conversion of game to movie.  It is based off of FF7 and the CG should be just as good as the first one
Without death there is no life

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2005, 10:57:30 PM »

Personally, I'd place it way above Monsters Inc., but I tend to be abnormally receptive to philosophical content for an American.

Wow...
If I were tyrannical dictator of the world, you'd be hanged for a remark like that.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2005, 10:57:53 PM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Legion

• Level 9
  • I am many within one
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2005, 10:07:35 AM »
don't hold back fuzzyoctopus tell us how you really feel

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2005, 10:37:50 AM »
She feels a little gassy.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2005, 10:38:22 AM »
My take on FF, which I have probably mentioned before, is that I'm shocked that anyone cares about it.

Yes, it is technically wonderful, but ideologically flawed from an art stand-point. Yes they made "naturalistic" looking people, but why? People in the animation field knew for a long time before FF that is was possible to make naturalistic looking people, but isn't the point of animation to see things that you can't see in real life. In way, the use of naturalistic looking people is insulting to the art of animation, which offers so much more than just illusionism. I know a lot of animators feel the same way.

And the fact that FF had a bland plot, mediocre voice acting, and convoluded philosophical foundations doesn't help it either.

So therefor, I agree with Fuzzy, hangings should be in order.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2005, 11:03:19 AM »
You know us, we're ALWAYS up for hangings.

Legion

• Level 9
  • I am many within one
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2005, 11:08:26 AM »
Don't get me wrong I like hangings too, but I fail to see how the move FF is insulting to artiest.  Yes abstract anime is cool, but what makes art so profound is the ability to work on details.  FF shows us great detail in the animation of almost real looking animation.  Sure the movie did not have the best of anything else but it is that attention to detail that made the movie stand out.

Sure animators COULD have done that along time ago, but the thing is that anyone could have done just about any piece of art at any time; the trick is to be the first one to do it......
« Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 11:08:47 AM by Legion »

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2005, 11:31:36 AM »
Don't get me wrong I like hangings too, but I fail to see how the move FF is insulting to artiest.  Yes abstract anime is cool, but what makes art so profound is the ability to work on details.

Um...no. What makes art so profound is it's revelations and insights into the human experience. FF just did this poorly. In fact, it's animation is very flat in many places. If they would have cut out many of the details they would of had more poignant and elegant work. FF is definitely missing (or at least struggling with) some of the underlying foundations. What made anime successful is that it was able to adhere to many fundamentals. Incidentally, anime is not abstract, it's highly stylized, cannonized, and somewhat elitist. In fact, animation rarely ventures too far into abstraction.

Sure animators COULD have done that along time ago, but the thing is that anyone could have done just about any piece of art at any time; the trick is to be the first one to do it......

Also...no. Being first doesn't necessarily make great art, otherwise all of the revival and eclectic movements would not be considered art at all. But you are right, that being first is a trick, a short-lived trick usually.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2005, 11:48:48 AM »
Don't get me wrong I like hangings too, but I fail to see how the move FF is insulting to artiest.  

He's not being hung for appreciating FF, he's being hung for saying it's better than Monsters Inc., which is both visually well-done AND fun and enjoyable to watch, with a good script.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2005, 11:49:17 AM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Legion

• Level 9
  • I am many within one
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2005, 11:53:14 AM »
If you look back on what society in general considers being great artwork, it is work that has had great attention to detail, however that is only part of art.  I agree, many piece of art are used as insights into the human experience, however most insight is done through details in art work.  In one gallery, a man got famous for throwing candy on the floor in the corner and allowing people to take a piece if the wished.  The candy would later be replaced.  Since he was the first one to do it, he got famous.......do you think if a second person did something similar would they get as much credit for it.
Being the first means being original.

It was Felix González-Torres, Candy Spil....I believe

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2005, 01:08:04 PM »
If you look back on what society in general considers being great artwork, it is work that has had great attention to detail, however that is only part of art.

Didn't Picasso master the art of not needing details?
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2005, 01:21:25 PM »
This is detailed?

And if you say you haven't seen that one before, then I'll be moderately shocked. That's a very famous Picasso piece. I bet I dont' even need to tell you what it is for you to understand it. It communicates nuances and meaning WITHOUT detail.

Methinks your philosophy of aesthetics is a bit skewed. Now, I won't go so far as 42. There's something in me that appreciates high level of detail -- so long as that detail functions for something that contributes to the point of the work. When that point is just "let's make a lot of detail" it becomes a lot less interesting.

I think that detail does show a lot of skill, but it's only one of many, many things that make art great. Composition, subject, color choice, medium, etc. They all function. Saying that only ONE of those is the determining factor for great art is an enormous falacy.

Legion

• Level 9
  • I am many within one
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2005, 01:46:41 PM »

Didn't Picasso master the art of not needing details?

Thats why I said it is only part of art.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2005, 01:59:38 PM »
So is lack of detail. I could argue that rules for pregnancy are a part of RPG's, since they have come up before (I kid you not). But that doesn't make a very defensible position.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch