Author Topic: Remakes and the darkness  (Read 4386 times)

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Re: Remakes and the darkness
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2005, 08:07:11 PM »
Well, there has to be something after post-modernism.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2005, 09:24:35 PM »
Pan-Modernism, and we're nowhere near it yet. Panmodernism will be the final step to transhumanism - it will occur when a significant portion of people have moved to posthumanity, and will be the result of the rift between the human and the posthuman. By the time Panmodernism is over, no people will be recognisable as Human, unless some cult of purists or such survives. Unlikey, new sapient species tend to eradicate the old.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2005, 11:03:08 PM »
No, i'm pretty sure that there will be a change in artistic goals and styles to a different general mode before we all mutate into something not currently recognizable as human.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2005, 11:09:10 PM »
/me is currently not recognizable as human
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2005, 03:14:00 AM »
Stacer, Saint E got the sense I was intending.  Sorry for the ambiguity.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Master Gopher

• Level 11
  • I do not disguise my nerdiness.
    • View Profile
    • HomePage
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2005, 07:22:52 AM »

I'm of the (somewhat contentious) opinion that there are no new stories under the sun, only good or bad retellings of the ones we have.

There is nothing new under the sun, it has all been said and done before"
- Sherlock Holmes

I agree entirely, there are basic themes of story that we simply repeat with new narratives. Shakespeare did indeed base huge chunks of material on traditional legneds, poems, or history (e.g. large lumps of Julis Caesar comes almost straight from Plutarch, it's actually rather weird to be reading Plutarch and realise you are reading something you previously appreciated as literature in an english class in one of your history textbooks...)

Oh, and apparently there are only seven storylines. I shall have to ask my mother about that, I always forget whose theory it is. But I accept the idea in a cursory, uninformed way.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2005, 07:23:54 AM by Master_Gopher »

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2005, 10:14:21 AM »
I feel too many people strive to water things down to a simplified level. Sure, we could say all stories are the same. But by the same logic, all humans are the same. Which is not correct, obviously. It's similar to the 'co-incidences' game where you say... well, Lincoln and JFK died 100 years apart... they both were assassinated... and so on. It works, but only because your willfully ignoring the parts that do not fit into your hypothesis.

It also smacks of a desire to not have anything new, to just settle down with what you have and stick with them.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2005, 11:41:54 AM »
it really smacks of trying to simplify things to encompass everything into your understandign, instead of broadening your undertsanding to grasp it all.

Now, there are patterns, don't get me wrong. I think that Campbell had a number of things wrong, but often when you get these limited number of stories, some elements of some stories are made far more metaphorical than is reasonable, so they're forced into the pattern.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 31, 2005, 11:21:39 PM »
I don't know if anyone other than me has watched the whole season of the new Doctor Who, (and enough of the old series to compare) but if so I'd like to discuss it in light of this thread.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan