Author Topic: Remakes and the darkness  (Read 4379 times)

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Remakes and the darkness
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2005, 08:29:34 PM »
Yeah, the Darkness is about the only band that make me want to ... ok, i won't finish what I was thinking there. for your sake.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2005, 08:54:15 PM »
No sense of musical fun, you all.

None at all.

;D

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2005, 09:30:44 PM »
Back on topic . . .

I don't think our society is losing it's creativity.  Just as many new things are being made as they were decades ago.  The only difference is that, along with the new things, we're recreating the old.  So now we have twice as much media, but we're noticing the recreated stuff more because it's something that we recognize.
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2005, 10:29:14 PM »
I refuse to go back on topic until people apologize for making fun of The Darkness.

Besides, never count on a thread to stay on topic past page 1 here at the 'ol TWG.   ;)

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2005, 11:30:56 PM »
not liking the Darkness means I have no sense of musical fun? that's a laughable accusation.

I prefer to listen to bands that SOUND good while they're having fun with their music.

re: on topic. you guys are all treating remakes as if they were a new thing. Even in film it's hardly new. How many silent film versions are there about Cleopatra?

How many versions  of Robin hood and King Arthur have you heard? How many versions of the inundation do you think there are?

I mean really, saying that all the remakes indicate a lack of creativity is saying that we've never had any in the first place.

That's not to say that all remakes are creative. Far from it. But being a remake is hardly a shoe-in for lack of creativity.

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2005, 11:55:41 AM »
I'm teasing, of course, Saint.

And if you want proof of how awesome a rock band movie can be I'll turn your attention to "KISS Meets the Phantom of the Park."

Someone needs to remake that.  Only darker.  With The Darkness.

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2005, 01:12:55 PM »
only darker, with KISS again. THat movie rocked harder than This Is Spinal Tap.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2005, 06:59:02 PM »
I agree with Saint that we've been retelling stories for a long time, but I would go back a little further even than the film industry. How many different ways and times have folk and fairy tales been retold? Perhaps it's a modern expression of that kind of storytelling.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2005, 04:12:37 AM »
I mean, Disney pretty much started up retelling stories, and they do it to this day.  But certainly, as Stacer suggests, story telling (and retelling) in millenia old.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2005, 10:25:00 AM »
incidentally, i wasn't misunderstood, I moved beyond movies with my second comment. I think I've seen one telling of the inundation in film form. HOwever, every culture has a version of it.

stacer

• Level 58
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2005, 11:13:54 AM »
Uh... Disney had nothing to do with starting the retelling phenomenon.  ??? Especially when you think about what stories they were retelling, they were just continuing a long tradition.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2005, 11:19:12 AM »
I think what he meant was that DIsney as a company got it's major start by retelling stories. At least, that's how I understood it. That's not 100% accurate either, but they wouldn't be what they are today without it, so it's close enough.

bosssmiley

• Level 2
  • Concealed in custard
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2005, 06:33:03 PM »
Unfortunately as a society we are losing all creative ideas.  Just thing about it, how many songs, shows, and movies are remakes to older books, songs, shows, and movies.  In order to keep people buying into the old stuff redone they have to change it enough in order to have so originality to it.  Most time they use better special effects, different look, and other items of that nature.  This lead so a new futuristic twist to the same old stuff....which most times makes it seem like it is darker then the original

Wasn't the Humphrey Bogart version of "The Maltese Falcon" a remake of the original version of the film? I remember something to that effect in Umberto Eco's "Faith in Fakes".  ???

Didn't Shakespeare steal most of his ideas from Boccaccio and other writers?
Tolkein? *pfft* He just rejigged the Nibelungenlied  :P

I'm of the (somewhat contentious) opinion that there are no new stories under the sun, only good or bad retellings of the ones we have. The tendency of Hollywood to "stick with what works" (Rocky 1-5, Lethal Weapon 1-4, etc.) is just the reducto ad absurdem of this tendency...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2005, 06:35:44 PM by bosssmiley »
The truth is too important to waste on every fool who asks

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2005, 07:25:54 PM »
I actually am now thinking that remakes are important to society. Kind of like how a oral stories were passed on form one generation to the next. Just because the stories ahs been placed in film, it doesn't necessarily ensure it's immortality. Thus films are remade to allow for the currant generation or culture to place their own individual mark on the story. Primarily as a sign of the acceptance by the current generations of the previous generations ideas. However, if the remake is done poorly, it is often seen as a slight to the previous generations, which is unfortunate.

However, it is concerning that the trend to remake old ideas in a dark, cynical, and morose manner kind of reflects the current generation doom and gloom mentality. It also makes me wonder if there will be a back-lash to this trend where another generation chooses to remake the preceding ideas in a light and more care-free interpretation.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2005, 08:00:22 PM »
Post-post-modernism?
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch