Author Topic: Remakes and the darkness  (Read 4385 times)

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Remakes and the darkness
« on: July 07, 2005, 02:19:48 PM »
So after a comment made by Prom the other day I've been thinking about this.

A lot of TV shows and movies are being remade but are "darker" than the original. What exactly does that mean?

The show in question was the new Battlestar Galactica, which is a lot more serious than the original, but also has more use of black and gray in it's production design.

Then I was thinking about the upcoming remake of "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" which is also being declaired as "darker" than the original.

So, is this just a new use of terminology that is so over used that it really has lost all meaning? And what is the fascination with remaking stuff darker?
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
Re: Remakes and the darkness
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2005, 01:58:13 AM »
Consider the fact that these "original movies" were usually taken from something else (a book or comic book).  Now, a lot of people have seen the first movies, then read the book and wondered where the heck the movie producer came up with his ideas.  So now people want to make the movie, but this time keep it like the Original story (see: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory).

Or they know they need lots of action and violence to sell the story, and this is usually done in a dark setting.
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2005, 07:07:12 AM »
This is the post-modern era, after all. It's not surprising that stories with darkness and less hope are the common thing.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

JP Dogberry

• Level 41
  • Fell Points: 9
  • Master of Newbie Slapdown!
    • View Profile
    • Effusive Ambivalence
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2005, 07:29:15 AM »
Darkness isn't a postmodern thing. Light is, or light mixed with darkness, and things that are confused or difficult to intepret.
Go go super JP newbie slapdown force! - Entropy

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2005, 08:51:23 AM »
See, I'm not convinced that these darker remakes are just more violent or more depressing.

I kind of think that they are trying to more serious. Delve deeper into the human psychy or at least give the audience more credit for being intelligent. Something like that.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2005, 06:19:19 PM »
Good question.  I think its mostly due to the nature of retaling a story more than anything.  Like they say hey lets remake Kong... but darker, moodier, edgier.  They're just trying to one-up the last one, make it cooler and hipper.  Sometimes they go for a different angle, like more funny or new ending or whatever.  So that is my idea, just sort of spin doctoring it to get people into the new movie, and the darkness is supposed to be cool factor or something.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2005, 05:11:14 PM »
Well, whatever the reason, there certainly are a lot of remakes. Practically every major movie this summer is some kind of a remake--Batman, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, War of the Worlds, Bewitched (okay, maybe I'm exaggerating, but it seems like a lot). An occasionally remake can be good, but sometimes they are like sequels--just not up to snuff with the original. I think instead of redoing an idea done well (like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, which admittedly I will still see because of Depp and Burton, but I still think was unneccesary--it was a CLASSIC!), I would rather see new ideas done well.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Legion

• Level 9
  • I am many within one
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005, 01:30:09 PM »
Unfortunately as a society we are losing all creative ideas.  Just thing about it, how many songs, shows, and movies are remakes to older books, songs, shows, and movies.  In order to keep people buying into the old stuff redone they have to change it enough in order to have so originality to it.  Most time they use better special effects, different look, and other items of that nature.  This lead so a new futuristic twist to the same old stuff....which most times makes it seem like it is darker then the original
Without death there is no life

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2005, 01:36:21 PM »
I don't think we're losing creativity as a nation.  I think the phenomenon of the remake is a symptom of entrenched MBAs in the film and TV industry.  They don't like taking chances on new ideas, it's risky for the bottom line.  They vastly prefer to go with some sort of known good and remakes are, by definition, known good.  

If anything we as a nation are less vociferous in our objection to the lack of creativity in movies and TV than we should be.

I think the creativity is there but is being ignored by vested interests.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2005, 02:25:38 PM »
Skar, I have to say that your new avatar seriously disturbs me.  :P
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2005, 02:33:48 PM »
Skar's avatar is what I do every day when I code.

Legion

• Level 9
  • I am many within one
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2005, 02:58:00 PM »
I don't think we're losing creativity as a nation.  I think the phenomenon of the remake is a symptom of entrenched MBAs in the film and TV industry.  They don't like taking chances on new ideas, it's risky for the bottom line.  They vastly prefer to go with some sort of known good and remakes are, by definition, known good.  

If anything we as a nation are less vociferous in our objection to the lack of creativity in movies and TV than we should be.

I think the creativity is there but is being ignored by vested interests.

I like what your saying here...there is some creative spirt left but it is mostly independent  work that has the most original ideas.

I too like your new Avatar......its beautiful
Without death there is no life

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2005, 04:46:33 PM »
Why thank you.  As soon as I saw it I knew it was destined to be my avatar.

As for the creativity.  Now we just need to figure out how to captolize on it, find some good stuff, get it widely distributed and make money on it.  
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Mr_Pleasington

• Level 35
  • Fell Points: 2
  • The only prescription, baby!
    • View Profile
    • Endless Hordes Wiki
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2005, 05:06:23 PM »
Dangit!

I thought this thread was going to be about the band "The Darkness" being in some movie.

You taunt me so, 42!

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2005, 07:29:37 PM »
Crap band, so I think we all dodged a right turkey of a movie there. :P
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch