Author Topic: The Brothers Grimm  (Read 3350 times)

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: The Brothers Grimm
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2005, 01:27:01 PM »
I find it interesting the Ledger did this film and many of his others to, and these are his words not mine, "destroy his film career".  Its hard to tell with him ,since he's a jerk like Russel Crow in real life, if he did these less main stream films to get rid of his "teen" movie status or just because he to literally have people stop offering him roles in mainstream movies.

Oh and we should get the Brazil mistake switched to Jabberwocky as well.

What excatly are you saying here? This post is all but unreadable.

I apologize for the "Brazil" mistake. I tend to remember "Brazil" as being his first film, because it was the film where he "Arrived" as a director, as far as the critics were concerned, much in the same way most people think of 'Braveheart" as Mel Gibson's first film as a director, while of course it was not.

If someone wants to go in and edit the review to fix this mistake, by all means, do so.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 02:04:00 PM by Patrick_Gibbs »
"It takes man to suffer ignorance and smile. Be yourself, no matter what they."
- Sting

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2005, 02:02:34 PM »
Crowe is a good actor, but an absolute tit IRL. Kinda sad really.

I don't knowwhat an IRL is, but I would have to agree. I love Russell Crowe as actor - he's easily one of the most versatile stars working today, but every time I think he's not really that big a jerk, he turns around and proves me wrong.
- Sting

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2005, 02:08:29 PM »
IRL=In Real Life

My statement make perfect sense, not my fault you can't understand any format that's not a moving picture with sound.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2005, 02:19:57 PM »
If I hadn't known you as long as I have, Sprig, I wouldn't be able to understand that post either.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2005, 02:36:54 PM »
yeah, most of us fill in mis-spelled or missed words.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2005, 02:49:53 PM »
Ok so I forgot to include 'wants' in between 'he to' near the end but it's not that bad.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2005, 03:40:14 PM »
So it needs a little proof reading, who doesn't?

But I heard the same thing, that Ledger is selecting roles that he feels will "destroy career." He really just wants to escape being casted as the blonde-pretty boy. Course it has kind of come off as, "I will only take parts in crappy movies."

I actually thought that Ledger did a pretty good job in Grimm and it was definitely a different character-type than what he usually plays.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2005, 04:15:14 PM »
George Clooney did a very similar thing, playing parts that inevitably made him look grungy or weird, and it completely made his career. I think Ledger's going for the same thing--destroy the career he has and build the career he wants.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • Fell Points: 0
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2005, 04:22:23 PM »
My favourite actor is Christian Bale. Not just for his acting, but for his quotes on his IMDB profile. He actually sounds like a good guy who wants to do a good acting job, not just someone who is all about 'me'.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2005, 03:53:06 AM »
So it needs a little proof reading, who doesn't?

But I heard the same thing, that Ledger is selecting roles that he feels will "destroy career." He really just wants to escape being casted as the blonde-pretty boy. Course it has kind of come off as, "I will only take parts in crappy movies."

I actually thought that Ledger did a pretty good job in Grimm and it was definitely a different character-type than what he usually plays.

This I understand. It's not the lack of moving pictures, Spriggan, but of punctuation and resemblance to the Englsih language that threw me off. No hard feelings, I hope.

Brad Pitt did this very successfully: I remember a time when only women liked him. Now, in the post "Fight Club" era, more men are Brad Pitt fans than women. I like Heath Ledger quite a bit - he was the only real saving grace of "The Patriot," and I really enjoyed "The Four Feathers." I would like to see him get past the tenn idol thing and really get a chance to just be an actor.

- Sting

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2005, 04:53:12 PM »
To jump to another topic altogether, I hated 4 Feathers.

The guy gives into his cowardice in the first place and then decides to go to Africa.  While it could have been a good movie if at that point he had been smart brave and clever for his friends.  He was neither.  Deciding to go to Africa was the last thing he did of his own free will.  Everything else was just stuff that happened to him and most of the time he failed even to take advantage of the situations he was swept into.  The only redeeming quality of the film was Djimon Hounsou's character.  He was a stud.

I understand that the original version of the film was very different and quite good.  I have yet to see it.

edit: having said that, I have nothing against Heath Ledger as an actor.  
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 04:55:06 PM by Skar »
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2005, 12:36:16 PM »
To jump to another topic altogether, I hated 4 Feathers.

The guy gives into his cowardice in the first place and then decides to go to Africa.  While it could have been a good movie if at that point he had been smart brave and clever for his friends.  He was neither.  Deciding to go to Africa was the last thing he did of his own free will.  Everything else was just stuff that happened to him and most of the time he failed even to take advantage of the situations he was swept into.  The only redeeming quality of the film was Djimon Hounsou's character.  He was a stud.

I understand that the original version of the film was very different and quite good.  I have yet to see it.

edit: having said that, I have nothing against Heath Ledger as an actor.  

I guess "The Four Feathers" is kind of my "Pearl Harbor." I love the movie, but I acknowledge that a lot of people didn't. It's just a movie that was very personal to me.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2005, 12:36:54 PM by Patrick_Gibbs »
- Sting

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2005, 01:46:15 PM »
I just saw this one.  I liked it.  Definitely a Gilliam piece.  It does waht a lot of silly movies fail to do. It hangs together nicely.  I find myself wanting to see it again.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch