Author Topic: **Spoilers** Corpse Bride  (Read 2147 times)

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
**Spoilers** Corpse Bride
« on: September 24, 2005, 12:47:25 PM »
Just saw that yesterday and loved it!  The characters are a LOT like the Nightmare Before Christmas type characters, but that's to be expected.  It was nice to have Burton, Elfman, and Depp all in one movie.  There's something about those three working together that makes a really cool (and wierd) movie.

****SPOILERS****

You were warned.

I was a little concerned about how they could end it, though.  Depp's character seemed compatable with either of the girls, and for a while I thought the Corpse was better suited for him.  I would have liked to see him marry the corpse (can't remember her name) but I guess it's happier all around that he didn't.  My question, what happened to her when she turned into butterflies?  If everyone down there is already dead, where do the dead go when they're "set free"?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2005, 10:06:02 PM by SaintEhlers »
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
Re: Corpse Bride
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2005, 08:30:59 PM »
How bout you place SPOILERS in the title there?  That way people know.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: **Spoilers** Corpse Bride
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2005, 10:06:12 PM »
It is done.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2005, 10:59:32 PM »
Was that a Spoiler of your intention?
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 02:45:23 PM »
\

I was a little concerned about how they could end it, though.  Depp's character seemed compatable with either of the girls, and for a while I thought the Corpse was better suited for him.  I would have liked to see him marry the corpse (can't remember her name) but I guess it's happier all around that he didn't.  My question, what happened to her when she turned into butterflies?  If everyone down there is already dead, where do the dead go when they're "set free"?

I think you're way overthinking it.  I don't think that for as lighthearted of a movie as it was that there was any intention of explaining the butterfly bit.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2005, 06:59:03 PM »
So I finally saw this. I liked it, though I don't think the musical numbers were that great. They were nice, but forgetable.

I really liked the character of the Corpses Bride, Emily. She had a surprisng amount of depth. Victor and Victoria weren't bad either.

The only thing that really bothered me about this movie was the lame way that Lord Barkis Bittern dies. It would have just been better if Emily ran that sword through him followed by a witty one-liner. Bittern just came off as a foppish idiot by drinking the wine.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2005, 11:35:38 AM »
Which I think, 42, was what Burton wanted to show us.

But I did like the movie. And you're right 42, most of the songs were good, but somewhat forgetable at the same time. I did like the one when Victor was in the dead man's bar and the skeleton was all up-ins.

The part where the dead begin walking on the "land up there" and the boy confronts one of them with a "Grandpa?;" then they embrace. Freaking awesome touching scene. Made me choke a little.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2005, 03:30:45 PM »
I liked the movie, well everything but the musical numbers which were Direct to video release quality at best.

Guy Smiley

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2005, 11:15:20 PM »
she made a vow lyin' under that tree, that she'd wait for her true love to come set her free

Is a quote that Bone Jangles *the skeleton with the bowler cap* makes. It relates to how the corpse bride turns into a bunch of raging butterflies.

Which doesn't really make any sense, because then her true love is Victor, and therefore Victor and Victoria weren't supposed to be together.

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2005, 10:40:17 AM »
I think, mayhaps, Victor was more of a catalyst. Wherein we see at the end Barkis Bittern keel over, aka her once true love, dies. Then, with Victor's help, she is freed from her promise to herself.

Semantics are probably haphazardly used here.
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo