Author Topic: 05Parental Units and their Logic to Dominate  (Read 5099 times)

Thermos

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Aww mans, I'm a wee nublet!
    • View Profile
05Parental Units and their Logic to Dominate
« on: June 24, 2006, 06:25:00 PM »
[This is just Some angsty seventeen year old ranting on about how her parents are ruining her life]

Okay, I know that this is a typical senario. Girl get permission to attend a concert three hours away even though her parents are extremely strict. She gets excited beyond all reason because she beat the odds.
Then she goes out one night to her friend's house after spending all day down town, and ends up calling Mom to ask to stay later, and arriving home at 1:22 am..

So, I know it seems weird, but I can totally take this all on myself and I know that I screwed up, seriously. But it drives me insane because there was no possible compromise. I insisted that I could clean and maintain all rooms in the house without being allowed out with friends and that my parents could keep me to this for as long as they wish if they would let me just have the concert back. My friend's Mom bought me the ticket in thanks and now, She has an extra ticket and nothing to do for it.
Obviously, the compromise did nothing for me, for here I am!

The reason they refused my deal, was because they decided that by letting down on their punishment, they were letting me off the hook and that way, I wouldn't learn a thing, But I have.

It drive me insane.. parents are always the winners of these battles. But hey that's life right?
D:
-Thermos
[/size]

Gemm: Rock & Roll Star; Born to Rock

• Level 57
  • I Am Your Worst Nightmare's Dream
    • View Profile
    • Perfect
Re: 05Parental Units and their Logic to Dominate
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2006, 06:33:02 PM »
Would it be strange if I didn't say what I was thinking? Very well.

I am also very distraught on whether or not this is legit, the text being smaller and positioned center all point to doubt. I am doubtful!

And you should yell at your parents, "confounded parents!"
“NOTHING IS TRUE. EVERYTHING IS PERMITTED.”
                William S. Burroughs

“Who needs girls when you’ve got comics?”
                Grant Morrison’s Flex Mentallo

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2006, 07:21:13 PM »
I wonder if saint will start taking notes. This is what, 14 years away for you, SE?
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2006, 07:59:17 PM »
I'm so glad not to be in those teenage years.

So for adivce, typically it takes five or more trust gaining actions to counter one trust losing action. Depends on how trusting the individual is normally.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 04:28:27 PM »
... parents are always the winners of these battles. But hey that's life right?

Hey. I'm a parent...but then, she won't be a teenager for six more years, so I have time to work up my battle strategy.

But you're right. The parents are always the winners. And that's because they're smarter than you. And also probably because they provide for you, and give you a place to live, and things to eat, and if you want to keep these perks, you probably ought to comply. So, really, I have no sympathy.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2006, 04:30:03 PM by MrsNessaC »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2006, 04:30:22 PM »
I was the "good child" as a teenager. I was always home on time and didn't get into trouble.   It's not that freaking hard.  You have to prioritize what you want in life, and if you can just prove yourself responsible you'll get a lot more freedom. My sister never understood that and was grounded more often than not.
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2006, 06:34:31 PM »
It was the same way with my parents Fuzzy.  By the time of my Junior and Senior years I could really do just about anything as long as they knew who I was with and where I was going.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

The Lost One

• Level 13
  • Good lawyers live well, work hard, and die poor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2006, 11:56:01 PM »
It drive me insane.. parents are always the winners of these battles. But hey that's life right?

Yes, parents win. Part of the the reason why parents always win this battle is because teenagers have little to no leverage over their parents. Parents get to lay down the law. This may seem harsh to many teenagers but as I explain to my sons (whom are not teenagers  :)) and to the youth that I work with (whom are close to being teenagers or are teenagers  :-[), parents really do care about their kids and what the best for them.
A peasant between two lawyers is like a fish between two cats.

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2006, 12:05:44 AM »
And that's because they're smarter than you.

Not always. I don't know enough about Thermos, or her parents to really say in this case, but parents are not always smarter, nor are they always right. I will say that they are right in this case, because she did, in fact, break the rules, and so they are well within reasonable bounds to hold her to her punishment. And I also agree with Fuzzy and Sprig that if you are responsible, then you will get much less flak from your parents than if you flout their authority.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 12:06:02 AM by Archon »
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2006, 02:03:15 AM »
tsk tsk, Archon. You know I only said that because I am a parent.

But then again, you likely take umbridge because you are a teenager yourself.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 02:38:22 AM by MrsNessaC »
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2006, 04:19:54 AM »
Yes, but since so many of the members are older and/or parents, these types of conversations have a tendency to be a bit one-sided. Therefore, I sometimes feel the need to try and defend the underrepresented teens. By the way, I can tell you have been reading Harry Potter. Though the woman's name is "Umbridge", the word itself is "umbrage."  ;)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2006, 04:20:57 AM by Archon »
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2006, 04:32:37 AM »
Heh. You're right. That's what I get for trying to use big words so late at night.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2006, 12:06:38 PM »
no, parents aren't *always* right, but they're right MUCH more often than their teenage children give them credit for.

Parent usually do what they do in terms of rules because they want to protect their children. There are a  few that are just bad parents, but that's not common.  Maybe they're over zealous occasionally in being protective, but you need to realize that they *are* looking out for your interests.

Archon

• Level 27
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2006, 06:37:02 PM »
Been there, had that debate. I don't really want to get into it again.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2006, 07:29:52 PM »
"When I was a boy of fourteen, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be twenty-one, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years."
- Mark Twain

I was (and, to an extent, still am) the black sheep of the family - never got along very well with my parents until I left the house, after which I got along with them wonderfully.  Fact of the matter is that my ideas of what is good for me were (and, to a degree, still are) different of theirs.  It's just a matter of being smart about it - my parents have never had to worry about what I was doing with my friends, because, as a rule, I had very good friends and I was LESS social than they wanted me to be (they had to bribe me to go to Prom.  Twice).

Some parents are just hard to get along with.  Mine were easier than some, and worse than some.  I have one friend who, even when she was 17, her father would never let her hang out anywhere there would be males without having a member of the family accompany her (even if there would be other women present, or he knew everyone who would be there).  I consider his actions a little severe...

But it's all relative, eh?

...I'm just glad I don't live with my parents anymore.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."