Author Topic: Eva Live!  (Read 1884 times)

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Eva Live!
« on: December 07, 2005, 07:43:41 PM »
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire2005/index.php?category=0&id=33604&type=0

Um...for some reason I don't see this being a commercial success. So I doubt they will find a distributor.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Tekiel

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Justin Bailey
    • View Profile
    • Tek's site
Re: Eva Live!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 12:56:01 AM »
I agree with him that the effect would look really cool if they were made to look "live", but . . . what would they do (plot-wise) about the ending of the show for all those Americans who like an ending to make sense?
Ignorance is a common ailment.  In time, it goes away.  Unless it proves fatal.
"It is the writing of someone who assumes he has something to say." -Becca Manwaring

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 03:25:10 AM »
I doubt it'll be any better then all the other anime's turned live action, which have all sucked big time.  Anime to live action has a worse record then video games to live action.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

MPlease

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
  • You mean my character concept can't be 'pink hair?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 05:38:14 AM »
But you have to admit, if they did it (which I personally think would be a bad idea), Weta Workshop would be the people to do it and at least make it look cool.
English doesn't borrow from other languages. English follows other languages down dark alleys, knocks them over and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 08:51:03 AM »
But at an esoteric, universe level, it is an unbelievably impacting and dramatic story concept. [It's got] pseudo-religious overtones, and all these wonderful motifs are woven into it.

That right there says that the script is starting off on the wrong foot for a feature length film. Not that those things are bad, just that Eva has got too many of them (that are mostly confusing to begin with) for a film.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 08:53:35 AM »
Not to mention that the main character likes to stand over the unconscious bodies of girls and pleasure himself.

One of the big problems I have with Eva is none of the main characters are like able in any way at all.  They're all to the extremes so much you can't relate or don't even want to try.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 01:23:28 PM »
So, I consider myself something of a resident Eva expert, and surprisingly I have to agree with Spriggan. The characters in Eva aren't ones you identify with, they're ones you analyze. Oh I think they're extremely fascinating and compelling, and the story itself is good, and the world is a beautiful mixture of psuedo-christian mythos.

But all those things are presented in a very non-Western-friendly way. It would be *possible* to turn this into something that was as interesting as the source, and yet consumable by pop-culture, but the margin of error would be huge.
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."