Author Topic: 12 Days of Christmas Movies  (Read 3788 times)

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Re: 12 Days of Christmas Movies
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2005, 08:37:00 PM »
Interesting choice of movies.  I haven't seen the George C. Scott version of A Christmas Carol in its entirety, but I believe the one most loudly lauded by critics as being the best (I refuse to use the term "faithful") version is the 1951 "Scrooge," starring Alastair Sim.  Fabulous version.  And while I like the Muppet take on the story, I don't think I'd call it the "best" or the "most faithful."  Unless, of course Charles Dickens was purple with a nose that resembled a kitchen faucet.  Still, thanks for the suggestions.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2005, 08:37:34 PM by Parker »

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2005, 10:38:35 PM »
That a surprisingly accurate description of the man. My personal favorite is the musical with Albert Finney.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2005, 10:46:00 PM »
I here by declare that from now on anything I review will not use clocks but the word "Fizzlifeas".  It is up to all of you to decide that that means.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2005, 11:47:16 PM »
That's the most banked up thing I've ever heard.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2005, 01:15:51 AM »
I like clocks.  Perhaps the clock system should simply be based be equated to this:

6 clocks:  worth losing 6 hours of one's life to waste time on
5 clocks:  worth losing 5 hours of one's life to waste time on
etc.

Of course, a 4 hour movie will more likely get a 4 clock rating than a 1-hour movie, but that's the whole point, isn't it?

"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2005, 01:33:09 AM »
The clock system is fine how it is, the problems are those that stem from a review system in general.  Which, as Mustard stated, we review things we like.  The second part is everyone has different views of what a perfect movie/game/item is and well never agree full on that.

I do think we've been handing out more 6 clock reviews then we should, but as long as the review justifies that score then I don't complain about it.

If we change the meaning of our clocks then that means someone, most likely me, has to go and update all the old articles.  Also we originally thought of that system you suggested JK, but felt it was biased against things like movies and other short  games.

The review scoring system is fine how it is, how ever reviewers could use a refresher course on what each score means.

Now I'm using my Spriggantacualr powers and saying any more comments on the current score/review system shalt be moved to the Suggestion Board.  This thread is for comments on your favorite Christmas movies and what score you'd give them, not if you don't like our current system.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 01:36:04 AM by Spriggan »
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Patrick_Gibbs

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2005, 11:18:55 AM »
Okay, I read this and generally agree with it, but I have to ask one thing:

The Polar Express as "the greatest Christmas movie ever made"?

I really hope that particular paragraph was steeped in sarcasm that I'm not just picking up on. After seeing that film two weeks ago I'm convinced that its relationship to quality entertainment is akin to the relationship between matter and antimater. (Though Santa Claus Conquers the Martians beats even it, gaining the status of "entertainment black hole" :))

There was no sarcasm intended in that statement, and I stand by it. I've never seen a movie that captures the excitement of Christmas from a child's point of view the way "Polar Express" does. Not one of the greatest films of all time, but a Christmas classic.

As for "A Christmas Carol," the George C. Scott version is widely agreed upon by many critics to be definitive, and The Muppett version follows the book more closely than most versions, including "Scrooge," the Albert Finney version, which is also quite good. Admitttedly, there is no Rubber Chicken factory in the book, but other than the obviosu changes to make it a Muppett movie, it follows the source material very accurately. Too bad the same can't be said for "Muppett Treasure Island."

Now, I want to say one last thing about the clock system: people are a under a misconception that we have ap roblem with using clocks instead of stars. We could rate movies with waffles, I don't care.

It's the numbering system, whcih has never been clear to us, and in particular the amibiguity of what a "Six clock" movie is. "Little Women" is a classic example: you won't find a major critic in the nation who didn't give that movie four stars. It's a masterpeice. But because it's not a genre buster, it apparently doesn't rate six clock, which leaves it with empty clocks, which to me implies that the reviewer thought it could have been better, which is simply not the case.
"It takes man to suffer ignorance and smile. Be yourself, no matter what they."
- Sting

Skar

• Level 54
  • Fell Points: 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2005, 11:52:24 AM »
Perhaps the problem of the clocks could be solved by eliminating the sixth empty clock?  So if a movie is rated 3.5 clocks we get an empty clock and a half and a 5 clocker has five full clocks and no empty one.  

but if a movie is rated a six clocker, you just get an extra clock on the end indicating superlativeness.

That way 5 clocks equates to 4 stars with no blank clocks misleading the readers but a 6 clock score is still possible for those genre busting pieces.
"Skar is the kind of bird who, when you try to kill him with a stone, uses it, and the other bird, to take vengeance on you in a swirling melee of death."

-Fellfrosch

House of Mustard

• Level 44
  • Fell Points: 3
  • Firstborn Unicorn
    • View Profile
    • robisonwells.com
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2005, 09:44:48 AM »
I'm sure I'm in the minority here, but I've disliked Michael Caine for years, based solely on his performance in Muppet Christmas Carol.  True, acting is difficult when your costars are foam rubber, but I just thought he was lousy lousy lousy.

He is starting to win me back, mostly because of Batman Begins and, oddly enough, Bewitched. (Which was a mediocre movie.  Incidentally, Nicole Kidman will one day be my second wife, thanks to sweet sweet polygamy.)

Really, though, I think my dislike of Muppet Christmas Carol (and Caine) was because I like the Finney version so much.  Say what you want for story accuracy, but Scrooge actually makes you think and feel, where Muppets makes you laugh.
I got soul, but I'm not a soldier.

www.robisonwells.com

Chimera

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Do I look pasty to you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2005, 05:14:18 AM »
I saw that my roommate just recently picked up a version of About a Boy. The main character has tons of money from a Christmas Jingle his father wrote, and it taunts him throughout the movie. So, if you want an alternative Christmas movie, try this one out.
There is just no way you are the pine-scented air. --Billy Collins, "Litany"

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2005, 05:07:33 PM »
Im craving A Christmas Story today.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!