Author Topic: --Simpsons--  (Read 9395 times)

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: --Simpsons--
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2006, 09:26:32 PM »
Who sucks? Jeffe or Raktor?
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

Entsuropi

• Level 60
  • =^_^= Captain of the highschool Daydreaming team
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2006, 09:48:32 PM »
It's a generic statement aimed at mostly everyone.
If you're ever in an argument and Entropy winds up looking staid and temperate in comparison, it might be time to cut your losses and start a new thread about something else :)

Fellfrosch

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2006, 10:04:35 PM »
Well i have something to say on the topic...
The Simpsons rock, the worst episode showing now is still good for a laugh, which is pretty impressive.

But you still haven't really said anything. Why does the show rock? Why is it funny? Is it the animation? The social commentary? The guest stars? Simply saying "XYZ rocks" isn't adding anything to the discussion. Except another post I have to skim through.

On second thought, there have already been two pages on this topic and not one substantive thing has been said. I have wasted time: the ultimate vindication of both the site and the thread. Carry on.
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2006, 10:08:12 PM »
actually the announcement you decided to leave out in your shoddy attack was the important part. you know the one where the simpsons was picked up for 2 more seasons.

Fade away little newb.
Fade away.
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2006, 10:48:28 PM »
I have graduated from noob to newb! I roxxor!
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2006, 07:51:38 AM »
but you arnt haxxor

Rak-O-Latern

• Level 4
  • I smile coz I have no idea whats going on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2006, 04:42:56 PM »
I think the Simpsons are funny, because the animation and jokes in the script together make it funny.  I think the simpsons can last for many years to come because of their stance in modern day TV. They are arguably the best show on the box. If they can amuse kids and adults for 16 years why can't they go for longer
"Just coz I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand."- Homer Simpson

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2006, 06:59:13 PM »
I like the Simpsons, but I would be very surprised if anyone could successfully argue that it's the "best show on the box."  Maybe--maybe--in its heyday, but no longer.  Of course, if you want to try to argue this, I'd be happy to listen, but you'll have to be more specific than "the animation and jokes in the script together make it funny."

fellsmum

• Level 3
  • I know all and what color it spells
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2006, 03:00:46 PM »
I have waited and waited to hear something substantive about my show. Honestly, it's like listening to Homer and Bart at the dinner table, the way you all squabble and can't stay on the subject. If someone could be a little analytical like Lisa and point out all of the social relevance or the moral overtones, such as the fact that we are one of the only intact families in primetime TV, that our religious fanatic is simply an extremely, intensively religious man, rather than a psychotic-religious-fanatical-killer, that our parodies stay spot on, that celebrities from every discipline line up to guest star or even do a quick self-parodying cameo, that even though the writing has slipped in consistency in the past three years, it still has more hits than misses. Please children, stay on topic.

Tink

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2006, 03:04:07 PM »
Well, I think it's ironic you say that because my mom wouldn't let us watch the Simpsons because she felt that they were a bad example on how you should treat your family. It's interesting how two moms could see the same show totally differently!

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2006, 04:00:54 PM »
Now you know why Mustard and I grew up the way we did.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Faster Master St. Pastor

• Level 20
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2006, 07:35:15 PM »
Huh, and I always thought you had been dropped on your head as a baby... :)
"elantris or evisceration"-Entropy.

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2006, 08:48:45 PM »
Fellsmum, its hard to find a good place to start with the Simpsons. Its such a huge topic. I could focus on the family, and the horrible relations they seem to have, or how any one of the Simpsons interact with the world, or I could focus on what the other characters have turned out to be. I think I'll begin by focusing on Ned. Why Ned? Because he asked for it. Ned Flanders and Family is supposed to be the counterpoint to the Simpsons. He's religious, to the point of fanaticism, he's prosperous (or at least always more prosperous on the outside than the simpsons) he never gets angry, has two nice boys (ok so they are a bit creepy) and until recently a loving wife. Flanders has good things going for him. But bad stuff still happens to him, he loses his way, his sanity and his wife and has to figure out a new way of living. I like that. Its sort of a relgious people are humans too point of view.

His point of view without the simpsons is well meaningless. Homer is the direct opposite, he's loud, boastful, drunk. sacriligious (mmmm Sacrilicous)  and vain. He also cares deeply about his friends and family. Homers not a bright guy but he loves his family even if it drives him crazy. I appreciate that the Simpsons bicker, and argue, and fight and frankly act like a real family because no other program does that.

Ok, maybe I should stop before I write a book. I fear Im not being coherant due to a pesky fever right now.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2006, 10:59:13 PM »
(mmmmm, feverish Jeffe.)
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2006, 11:56:08 PM »
ummm that was kind of creepy.