Author Topic: Superhero reality TV?  (Read 1583 times)

Mister M

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Superhero reality TV?
« on: May 08, 2006, 06:20:56 PM »
From CNN.com:

You can be Stan Lee's new superhero

PASADENA, California (AP) -- The creator of Spider-Man and the Incredible Hulk is on the hunt for a new superhero, and he plans to find it on reality TV.

Marvel Comics legend Stan Lee said Friday that his new reality show "Who Wants to be a Superhero?" breaks new ground.

"I've never lived in a world of reality," quipped the 83-year-old writer.

Eleven wannabe superheros -- whittled down from 200 -- are set to compete in the show, which is scheduled to premiere July 26 on the Sci-Fi channel. The winning superhero will be the star of a new comic book created by Lee.

The reported catch-phrase for those who don't make the cut? "Turn in your spandex!"

Although this sounds like it would actually be pretty fun to watch, I've got to wonder...do you think that, at this point, "Reality" TV needs a new moniker? Because it just ain't that real anymore.
"When in Rome, do as the barbarians do. They won."

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Superhero reality TV?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 06:54:47 PM »
I think they should just start calling them game shows again. That's what they are.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 12:18:30 PM »
Oh, good grief! Game show is right. But what "powers" will these guys exhibit? Super cell-phone minute user or something? Dumb.
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 04:37:10 PM »
Oh no Uber-drama-queen-man, it's Roaming Charge!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 04:37:31 PM by Archon »
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Mister M

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 05:43:13 PM »
I'm suddenly having visions of these guys doing a superhero LARP on national television.

Man, I've got to figure out which channel will be airing this just so I can see what it's like.

Edit: Well, if the links on http://www.whowantstobeasuperhero.tv/ are any guide, it looks like Sci-Fi will be airing it. And suddenly it all makes sense.  (I only saw commercials for one of Sci-Fi's previous reality TV shows, "Mad Mad House," which involved people living together and participating in such mundane activities as being buried up to your neck in pig entrails or turning the house into a nudist colony.)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 05:46:13 PM by Mister_M »
"When in Rome, do as the barbarians do. They won."

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 02:30:23 AM »
TV is TV and reality is reality, and never the twain shall meet.

Archon, you rock and/or roll. ;D
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder