Author Topic: Ong Bak  (Read 1209 times)

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Ong Bak
« on: May 25, 2006, 01:59:42 AM »
I just finished watching this Thai flick with Tony Jaa.  Amazing.  He's like Jackie Chan, if Chan decided not to be funny and instead just unleash all over everyone in his movies.  The action scenes were incredibly choreographed and realistic--none of the Wire-fu you see in lots of movies these days.  I can't recommend this film enough, if you're into martial arts movies even in the slightest.  It's rated R, almost completely for violence, although there is some swearing and a scene with some sexuality and drug use.  Has anyone else seen this?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 02:00:03 AM by Parker »

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
Re: Ong Bak
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 12:55:59 PM »
I have not seen it, but back when it first came out I used to watch the trailer several times a day. Maybe it's time to break down and rent it.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Parker

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Well, what if there is no tomorrow?
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 01:02:38 PM »
If you happen to live in the Orem/Provo area, Orem library has it, and you can get if for a week for a buck.  But it's definitely worth the price of a full rental if you don't live there.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 04:37:19 PM »
I do in fact, and I even have an Orem Library card. Perhaps there's some way to take advantage of this confluence of events....
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 01:05:26 AM »
The thing that amazes me is that his style (Mu Thai,  I believe) utilizes the most elbow hits and knee slams of any style I have ever seen. Anatomically speaking, it is hard to get a good elbow hit, and most people would have to swing their body a decent bit to be able to land an elbow on someone right in front of them, otherwise they would lose all of their power because of the way the shoulder is jointed. Also amazing is the fact that the man does not kick people in the face, he slams them with a knee to the face. Ridiculous.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus