Author Topic: X-Men: Last Stand *SPOILERS*  (Read 6454 times)

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
Re: X-Men: Last Stand *SPOILERS*
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2006, 11:31:42 AM »
wrong post credits scene ;) theres a post credits Prof X scene that I was referring to.

Hmm? What, there was *another* scene?? Rats! What was it?

The other interesting thing to consider about Xavier is that he might have also been acting out of repressed love for Jean

Huh. Gee, who *isn't* in love with Jean?
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2006, 11:45:05 AM »
i doubt we'll be seeing Onslaught. Ever. Nuff said.

this movie was tightly plotted. I'm wondering where you guys are getting all your complaints. They seem to boil down to "I wanted this." Soo... because the movie wasn't made the way you would it was terrible? It had connected all the events. There was no deus ex, and they made very effective use of the powers they chose to use. The XMen are clearly torn over what they have to do to take care of business. Even though they're watching Magneto go out of control, they still hesitate to use the "cure" on him. Is it worse to kill someone or fundamentally revoke his personality? Even Logan isn't sure on that one. McCoy (and to a lesser extent Warren and Marie) did an excellent job demonstrating the appeal and ethical problems with taking the drugs. I wasn't at all bothered that they didn't choose to shove homosexuality or race issues in my face. The unthinking viewer would only be turned off by that. The thinking viewer will make the connection on his own. I really don't think it was supposed to be an opinion piece.

Seriously, the way Cyclops died was traumatic. Really creepy. In his short bits, I was convinced he was "changed" as Prof X said.

Xavier dying was clinical? What movie did you see? I saw Magneto and Wolverine watching one of the men they respect most in the world DISINTEGRATED by someone he trusted most. I was pretty moved. I don't get moved. So, we'll just counter your "I'm notoriously sentimental" examples.

Marko in the movie was clearly a mutant. They changed his origin. Deal with it. They also didn't make him Xavier's brother.

I also see *very* little that is nearly as inconsistent in characters as everyone else seemed to be. Again, this seems to me to be a case of deciding how the character *should* be instead of watching how the character actually *is*. I'd be just as pissed as Xavier at Logan in that situation. He made what was an extremely difficult and weighty decision about how to handle Jean. He had to think through consequences and in the end made a very debateable decision, but he couldn't think of a better answer. He's busy trying to repair damage and help someone and Logan, who comes and goes as he pleases without any apparent sense of loyalty or dedication, starts telling him he made the wrong choice. How would you react? Calm and patiently even though you're at your mental and emotional limits? Or would you bark at him so you don't have to rehash a weighty decision you made decades ago? He did what made sense.

As for the Bobby/Pyro thing, that made a lot of sense to me too. He always felt like he was inferior to Iceman, who had a similar power he could call on any time. Whenever he used his power, he was always shut down. Along comes Magneto who tells him he's "a god" and encourages him to act as he wants. He doesn't truly understand the Brotherhood's ideals, but he throws himself into what he believes. In addition, there's no demonstration that he *ever* liked Rogue in the least, he resented her, especially when she absorbs his power to reverse what he's done. And here is former friend is still all over the chick. What's the natural result of separation from a former friend and a focus on the things that were disagreeable? Hatred. Pyro is the ultimate "hot head" (if I may be permitted the term). He thinks that violence is the answer. He's out to get Bobby to show he's better than him and he thinks violence and death are the only way to do that.

Magneto rejecting Mystique. He had no remorse over Toad or Sabretooth. He has always used all of his allies for his own end. Mystique no longer has any interest in his cause, as far as he's concerned. She's become what he hates. He's disgusted. He no longer thinks of normal people as human. they're just animals. That's what mystique has become. He's long past considering the nuances of that.

Other differences of opinion? Storm: well handled. She's the natural leader. And seriously. She can turn a sunny day into a snow storm in seconds. That's not power? Let's face it. she roxxor. And she's got a *much* more level head than Scott *ever* did.
Worst line delievery? McKellan. The only really terrible line in the whole movie is Magneto saying "what have I done?" He doesn't even say it as if he's asking what sort of typo he made in a letter to his mom. It was completely blase, and then he turns around calmly. Blah. Good actor Ian, but you stinked that shot up so badly it's *still* in my mouth.
I saw enough of Rogue. What more could they do with her storyline? This extends to the "only six of us" because more were supposed to be there. Well, who else was supposed to be there? Jean? With the bad guys. Cyclops? dead. Nightcrawler? Not an X-Man. Xavier? also dead. Rogue? off getting her powers removed. well, there you go.

The only really terrible part of the film was Colossus. Terrible development there (as in, not even an attempt). You almost forget he's even there.

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2006, 02:07:05 PM »
Shhhh...Don't use logic on our movie reviewers it angers them and may cause them not to write for us anymore.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

FirstMateJack

• Level 12
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Only one man can kill this many Russians.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2006, 06:31:22 PM »
Logic has no place in comic books, or their movies.

[whisper] Psst, Spriggan, you need to whisper, or else they will hear you and know what is going on. [/whisper]
« Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 06:32:17 PM by FirstMateJack »
Delicious! Like a tall cool glass of Nestle' Quik mixed in Orange Juice!

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2006, 08:50:50 PM »
Someone argue with SE, I don't have the energy right now.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2006, 10:08:19 PM »
I would, but I am procrastinating SE's comeuppance while I make up for procrastinating on writing an encyclopedia article that should have been done a month ago... Must get the freakin' thing done!
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

caiticlu

• Level 4
  • Eat Babies! - A Modest Proposal
    • View Profile
    • Llamoo
« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2006, 11:44:42 PM »
I suppose I will "argue"

Yeah, the way Prof X died was traumatic. Yeah two guys watching someone they respect die like that is traumatic. But there was no emotional connection to the characters in this movie. Had we been allowed to make the emotional connection then his death would have been heart wrenching. But the connection to the character was lacking.

The Bobby/Pyro thing also makes sense to me. The rejection of Mystique makes sense to me.
And with that... May your days be bright and your contact with stupidity limited...

Rak-O-Latern

• Level 4
  • I smile coz I have no idea whats going on.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2006, 07:12:34 AM »
I saw the movie and thought it was good. Juggernaut is the best character there. Cyclops and Proffesor X are nerds and i'm glad they got killed at the start. No-one liked cyclops.

"Just coz I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand."- Homer Simpson

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2006, 10:10:47 PM »
word
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

FirstMateJack

• Level 12
  • Only one man can kill this many Russians.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2006, 09:50:53 PM »
Everyone no one likes is ok to die.
Delicious! Like a tall cool glass of Nestle' Quik mixed in Orange Juice!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2006, 08:46:38 AM »
/me attempts to parse the grammar in that post and fails.

Archon

• Level 27
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Master of Newbie Smackdown
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2006, 01:01:17 PM »
*Archon sets fire to that post, so that its infection will not spread.*
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. -Andre Gide
In the depth of winter, I finally discovered that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

Shrain

• Level 34
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2006, 03:26:47 PM »
/me vaccinates the thread with a simple rewrite:

It is okay to kill off a movie character if nobody likes said character. (FMJ)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2006, 03:27:13 PM by shrain78 »
--Spriggan