Author Topic: X-Men: Last Stand *SPOILERS*  (Read 6461 times)

stacer

• Level 58
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Whitman's Grimoire
Re: X-Men: Last Stand *SPOILERS*
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2006, 04:27:34 AM »
I agree with the opinions that there were too many storylines and not enough character development, and that too many big, important characters were either killed off, shunted to the side, or lost their powers. Even the main characters we got to see the whole way through didn't get a lot of development time. The last two movies were all about character development, so this movie is really jarring.

That said, I enjoyed watching it, but it just didn't move me the way the first two did. The first two did things that I connected with. This one--not so much.

However, that said, it makes sense--and is important, even--that if they were doing something as big as the Phoenix line, to have the story have a steep price. But I still don't have to enjoy the sheer numbers of characters that I loved being wiped out.
Help start a small press dedicated to publishing multicultural fantasy and science fiction for children and young adults. http://preview.tinyurl.com/pzojaf.

Follow our blog at http://www.tupublishing.com
We're on Twitter, too! http://www.twitter.com/tupublishing

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2006, 05:05:05 AM »
No I will tell you what it needed to be cooler, the end should have had the mutants fighting more of the sentinels instead of just human army men (like that big robot dude they fought in the training room).  Then in the middle there should have been a 10 or so minute slugfest with all the bruisers, ie Juggy vs Wolverine, Colossus, Beast, Iceman (in full ice armor), rather than that little tease before Xavier is dusted.  And in the sequel everyone better stay dead (except the Professor, for the Wolvie, Magnito, Onslaught bit.. hah, it could be a crossover of the other superhero movies  ;D).  Oh yeah, and I think it is more than time for Rogue to kill some mutant so she can have more regular powers finally.

But my first question is why the kid took away Juggernaut's powers?  I thought he wasn't a mutant, but the avatar of Cyttorak?  Unless the kid actually made an antimagic field that could null a deity.  Hmm, nice power, hehe.  I guess they just didn't have the extra minute to explain it.

I did like when Wolverine was getting burned away at the end, but kept regenerating too fast to die.  Heh, and you could see his metal-coated bones at times, whoah... so that is what an adamantium ribcage looks like.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2006, 05:10:08 AM »
I did like when Wolverine was getting burned away at the end, but kept regenerating too fast to die.  Heh, and you could see his metal-coated bones at times, whoah... so that is what an adamantium ribcage looks like.

I noticed that, too. Very nice touch, IMO.
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2006, 05:17:24 AM »
Does that mean my PC can have regeneration and adamantine bones now?
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

• Staff
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2006, 11:43:31 AM »
Just to clear up the Juggernaut is an off-again-on-again mutant. In the Unlitmate X-men line he's a mutant, but in the the original line he's usually a mystical force. However, there are several issues in the original line that leads one to believe that he might really be mutant whose powers have been enhanced by mystical forces.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Harbinger

• Level 10
  • Goes up to eleven
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2006, 07:16:17 PM »
Does that mean my PC can have regeneration and adamantine bones now?

I ain't yer pappy. Nor am I your GM. Your PC can have anything he wants, as far as I'm concerned. As long as my PC gets equally cool stuff.

As far as the sentinels go, remember that in this movie, the president is mutant-friendly, so he wouldn't be building sentinels. And in any case, the X-Men movies are trying to be more "realistic" than the comics. While the American public may be willing to sacrifice rights in order to stop the bad guys, I don't think they would be willing to overlook the collateral damage, both in property value and civilian lives, that would come from sentinels tearing up the landscape. I once read an X-Men comic set in Genosha (I think) wherein that government brainwashed and used mutants as weapons. IMO, that would be a more realistic (and really cool) storyline, and one I'd like to see in an upcoming movie.
Fighter, your intelligence is found to be lacking when compared to the average intelligence of a group of your peers. -White Mage

Small boys throw stones at frogs in jest. But the frogs do not die in jest. The frogs die in earnest. -Pliny the Elder

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2006, 12:11:49 PM »
Despite the fact that I saw X3 while on a date, I must say the movie didn't give me much of a rush. I failed to be wowed or really engaged by the story or the characters. I, like others, found the characterization annoyingly "off" but, more importantly, lacking in a poignancy or depth that was present in the first two, particularly in the second film. If that means X3 was more comic-bookish than the others, well ... I guess that means I really don't care for that style because it's less realistic to me.  

More than anything, this movie felt like a spastic roll call or egotistic curtain call that enabled Ratner/Marvel to simply parade as many Mutants as possible on screen without delving into deep emotional issues or tightening up the plot. Really, I felt quite distanced from all the characters; it really disappointed me. When Xavier died, my overwhelming thought was, "Huh. Shoot!" Basically, though, I couldn't connect emotionally with the scene. The whole scene was flat somehow, and all I could muster was a vaguely upset reaction.  

The first two movies were more pathos-rich by far. They drew me in and gripped me, like the moment when Wolverine thinks Rogue is dead or when Wolverine re-experiences his adamantium transformation or when both Scott and Wolverine mourn Jean as they hover above the rushing water. I could go on, but the point is that the third movie barely seemed to make an effort at emotional impact. It was all crash and blam and lookie-who's-on-screen-now! type of thing.  
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

caiticlu

• Level 4
  • Eat Babies! - A Modest Proposal
    • View Profile
    • Llamoo
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2006, 04:14:22 PM »
When Xavier died, my overwhelming thought was, "Huh. Shoot!"

Im notorious for getting overemotional at movies. If a character I like dies, I usually get upset. I love Prof X, and that was basicly my reaction too. And hey, bash Cyclops all you want, I normally woulda cried at his death... nothin. I had some residuals from the last movies, "aw man that blows" but thats it.
And with that... May your days be bright and your contact with stupidity limited...

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2006, 05:07:52 PM »
Further evidence, that despite saying otherwise, no one likes Cyclops.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

FirstMateJack

• Level 12
  • Only one man can kill this many Russians.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2006, 05:54:55 PM »
Even Though Cyclops is one of the cooler powers. if you can see it, you can kill it.
Delicious! Like a tall cool glass of Nestle' Quik mixed in Orange Juice!

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
  • Fell Points: 7
  • Devils Advocate General
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2006, 07:23:22 PM »
except he cant, and everyone seems able to beat him.

Oh and Shrain... all I have to say on the Prof X issue is that people should really wait until all the credits are done for the kicker...
Its an automated robot. Based on Science!

FirstMateJack

• Level 12
  • Only one man can kill this many Russians.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2006, 07:54:09 PM »
I know what you are talking about Jeffe! :)

Yeah.. for some reason, realtively weak mutants seem to be able to take a blast of pure energy and get up as though nothing had happened.
Delicious! Like a tall cool glass of Nestle' Quik mixed in Orange Juice!

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2006, 08:11:23 PM »
So, I cant help but disagree from some of the points yall have brought up,... respectfully disagree of course, but disagree I do.

I dont feel like the loss of certain heroes was a bad thing. Its the curse of ensemble films to need to prune characters from time to time. As a franchise its good to switch folks out, however definatively. The mutant "cure" is hardly definiative, especially since it seems magneto is getting his powers back, so I can see it being only a temporary fix especially given Leech's power. Really the only truely dead hero is Scott because lets face it Pheonix has more than enough power to survive logan... and anyway Scarlett Witch anyone. Some of the Dialog was weak, but overall I liked this film as much as the second one. None of the Xmen films have been IMHO spectacular, but they have been nice. Oh and E and I both agree Storm was pretty good in this, much better than in the first two.

Shrain

• Level 34
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Gargoyles have all the fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2006, 11:09:07 PM »
Imo, it's not losing the main characters so much as *how* and *why* it's done--how well that staggering loss is executed. In this case, Xavier's death and all the other carnage was so . . . distant and clinical, for lack of a better word.

I did kind of like the post-credits scene with Magneto, though I was arguing with Ryan that the chess piece did too move! lol. I definitely had an inkling way before this that this cure couldn't be a permanent thing. Yet I think it's a smart move. I just wish more had been done with the brilliant "cure" idea.

Also, I must say that while I see why the Phoenix was scripted as a mere alternate personality, I dislike how it translated into Xavier being a jerk and Jean being so much more to blame for Xavier's death. It's kind of ironic that one of the things I enjoyed best in the movie was not a performance but, rather, a special effect. Wolverine's adamantium skeleton showing through his skin as he tries to get close to Jean was snazzy. At least there was that--and the wobbling chess piece!
Lord Ruler and Lady Protractor were off on vacation, thus the angles running amok.
--Spriggan

"The movie of my life must be really low-budget."
--Harry Dresden in DEAD BEAT

Mad Dr Jeffe

• Level 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2006, 11:29:59 PM »
wrong post credits scene ;) theres a post credits Prof X scene that I was referring to.

As for Prof X being a bit of a jerk,... he is. Oh sure he's a great man, but thats what the whole onslaught storyline is all about. His repressed issues. Sometimes he makes ethical choices that are, difficult to explain or just downright wrong. I mean look at how he handles everyone in all the movies. Oh sure, he's kind but there is something patronizing and wrong about him too. Why not tell Wolverine all he knew about the Alkeli lake project, it was clear he knew more than he let on. I always got the idea that he talked down to everyone, (maybe its just his smugness). The other interesting thing to consider about Xavier is that he might have also been acting out of repressed love for Jean (something in the comics but not fleshed out in the movies) and another trigger for the eventual appearence of Onslaught.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 11:38:01 PM by ElJeffe »